Samsung and Microsoft Expanding Partnership

rgMekanic

[H]ard|News
The Korea TImes is reporting that Samsung and Microsoft are expanding their alliance for mixed reality. The article states that Samsung is working on developing cordless, and high priced headsets that support AR and VR, while Microsoft is lowering its royalties to help entice users. Samsung has asked Microsoft to use Samsung processors for Windows Mixed Reality as a condition for their continued support.

Interesting times, hopefully this means that either the cost for entry will go down, or the Windows Mixed Reality HMDs will become more powerful. Thanks to cageymaru for the story.

"VR was once tapped as the next hot technology. However, despite sizable investment in it, the technology failed to resonate with consumers. Now, Samsung thinks the mixed reality market is a bit more promising than VR or AR in wider usability and adaptability. As we achieved in the 'phoneblet' market, Samsung has stronger intent in the consumer market with the firm's new devices supporting mixed reality technology," said the official.

This reality is so mixed I can't believe any of it.
Call me when they start wiring these reality chips people's brains. I already paid for my very own rusty jar.

So they think cheaper devices will sell more than expensive devices. Plus, they get to try and sidestep the Vive/Oculus duopoly and sell all the chips to a "new" market segment.

Interesting times, hopefully this means that either the cost for entry will go down, or the Windows Mixed Reality HMDs will become more powerful. Thanks to cageymaru for the story.

Interesting indeed. Seems to make sense considering the story a few weeks back about MS not committing much of their own resources to this.

Be careful Microsoft, Bang & Olufsen, and a few others would like to tell you about how partnerships work with Samsung...

on the one hand it's pretty smart for Samsung as anyone who talks about WMR mentions the samsung headset even though it sorta defeats the key advantage of WMR (price.. in theory anyway)..

on the other hand, does anyone see WMR gaining market share? it's pitifully low compared to oculus and htc at the moment

Back