Samsung 990 Pro 10% off ($261 for 2TB)

chizow

[H]ard|Gawd
If anyone caught the promo on The Game Awards tonight, they flashed a 10% off promo code for the newest Samsung NVMe drive, the 990 Pro. Should work for the 1TB and 2TB models and the heatsink versions. Free Shipping.

Code: 990PROTGA22
Link: https://www.samsung.com/us/computin.../990-pro-pcie-4-0-nvme-ssd-2tb-mz-v9p2t0b-am/

1670560356370.png

2TB is back in stock, code is still good (not sure for how much longer)

Am I reading this right?

Sequential read/write speeds up to 7,450/6,900 MB/s.???

Most of the NVMe SSD 2TBs I've seen are like 1/3 the price.

Do you think NVMe SSDs will get even faster in the next couple of years or should I jump on this deal?

Am I reading this right?

Sequential read/write speeds up to 7,450/6,900 MB/s.???

Most of the NVMe SSD 2TBs I've seen are like 1/3 the price.

Do you think NVMe SSDs will get even faster in the next couple of years or should I jump on this deal?
Yes those speeds are accurate but you need a board and CPU capable of NVMe 4.0 speeds.

This is Samsung’s latest offering that is still 4.0 and pushed up to the theoretical max, the main difference over the 980 pro is that it roughly doubled random I/O speeds. Good for people manipulating media like photos or video for content creation, maybe doing some DB or computation with complex data sets. For most people it’s not going to be much of a difference or the premium over the other good 4.0 drives in the $160-200 range for 2TB.

NVMe 5.0 drives are on the way and I believe their theoretical limits are 15,000/15,000 MB/s but the first few gens will probably fall short of that, like 12K and they’ll also reset pricing again.

I don’t think there’s really a bad time to buy an NVMe SSD at this point, you’ll get what you pay for for your needs and prices will fall over time, but you if you need the storage you have a lot of options and you can always add or replace drives as they get faster and cheaper.

the main difference over the 980 pro is that it roughly doubled random I/O speeds.
Quoted for emphasis. The 990 vs. 980 improves the biggest weakness of NVMe drives, which is random operations.

I don’t think there’s really a bad time to buy an NVMe SSD at this point, you’ll get what you pay for for your needs and prices will fall over time, but you if you need the storage you have a lot of options and you can always add or replace drives as they get faster and cheaper.
Particularly if we are talking for normal desktop usage. We buy Samsung 980s, not pros, all the time for work. That is gen 3, no DRAM. We never have had anyone complain their computer felt too slow. While I'm certainly not hating on faster hardware, it is always fun, there's no reason to wait for gen 5 drives or anything if you've need for a drive now. As a practical matter very few boards support gen 5 nVME ports. Only the new AMD 670s as far as I know everything else, including the Intel 790s, are gen 4 for the nVME slots (the 790 is gen 5 for GPU but that's all). So unless that's what you have, it wouldn't matter anyhow.

Unless there's a very special, intense, use case, buy an nVME drive what you need iut, you'll be happy and it'll work well.

Particularly if we are talking for normal desktop usage. We buy Samsung 980s, not pros, all the time for work. That is gen 3, no DRAM. We never have had anyone complain their computer felt too slow. While I'm certainly not hating on faster hardware, it is always fun, there's no reason to wait for gen 5 drives or anything if you've need for a drive now. As a practical matter very few boards support gen 5 nVME ports. Only the new AMD 670s as far as I know everything else, including the Intel 790s, are gen 4 for the nVME slots (the 790 is gen 5 for GPU but that's all). So unless that's what you have, it wouldn't matter anyhow.

Unless there's a very special, intense, use case, buy an nVME drive what you need iut, you'll be happy and it'll work well.
Idk I used a Crucial P3 plus for a system drive and it cause a lot of hickups in day to day use. I though it had Dram but I was wrong. I replaced it with a SN850x and the hickups stopped.

The z690/z790 Intel boards support gen5 but via riser card that bifurcates the x16 pcie5.0 lanes into x8/x8. My board came with the card but I don’t plan on using it, I don’t even plan on using the x4 pcie4.0 slot because these GPUs nowadays are designed for full bottom to top airflow in their cooling designs.

But yeah I think X670E gives you one native gen5 x4 to the CPU and then it also uses riser cards. It’ll be awhile though before gen5 becomes mainstream and they work out the kinks and hit theoretical maximums.

I’m waiting to see if what DirectStorage does for games since I mostly use my home PC for gaming, but I could see content creators or someone doing local development with a decent size DB or computation with large data sets wanting to maximize transfer and I/O.

The 990pro with this discount and some of the other ones Samsung offers for first responders, teachers, and work affiliates actually makes it a decent offer for those who want something faster and want to maximize gen4. I think it comes out to $254 or something so 25% premium isn’t horrible. Personally I’d probably go for a fast 4TB gen4 from Samsung/WD/SKhynix though.

The z690/z790 Intel boards support gen5 but via riser card that bifurcates the x16 pcie5.0 lanes into x8/x8. My board came with the card but I don’t plan on using it, I don’t even plan on using the x4 pcie4.0 slot because these GPUs nowadays are designed for full bottom to top airflow in their cooling designs.

But yeah I think X670E gives you one native gen5 x4 to the CPU and then it also uses riser cards. It’ll be awhile though before gen5 becomes mainstream and they work out the kinks and hit theoretical maximums.

I’m waiting to see if what DirectStorage does for games since I mostly use my home PC for gaming, but I could see content creators or someone doing local development with a decent size DB or computation with large data sets wanting to maximize transfer and I/O.

The 990pro with this discount and some of the other ones Samsung offers for first responders, teachers, and work affiliates actually makes it a decent offer for those who want something faster and want to maximize gen4. I think it comes out to $254 or something so 25% premium isn’t horrible. Personally I’d probably go for a fast 4TB gen4 from Samsung/WD/SKhynix though.
Yah I agree even though I have a Z790 I still went for a fast Gen 4 drive because a Gen 5 isn't worth it. Don't wanna split the pci e slot to x8 and the price premium for the Gen 5 and the heat it produces are things I don't need to deal with.

Back