Samsung 980 PRO PCIe 4.0 SSD Makes An Appearance

erek

[H]F Junkie
Is it the end-all be-all of NVMe M.2 Gen4 SSDs?

"Samsung was unable to locate any employees at their sprawling "booth" who could answer our technical questions, so we don't have confirmation of which generation of V-NAND this uses (probably the 5th gen. 92L), nor do we have any details on the controller. We also don't have a timeline for retail availability."

IMGP7943_678x452.jpg

https://www.anandtech.com/show/15352/ces-2020-samsung-980-pro-pcie-40-ssd-makes-an-appearance

I thought september was the best time to do a new build in several years. It's looking like this summer will be even better, but this is going to cost 300 plus for a TB right?

I don't own one M.2 form SSD the reason being they take up two Sata ports or PCI lanes on my motherboard. The performance is good for file transfers but next to nothing for load up times for videogames compared to regular sata SSDs.

The sequential speeds don't max out the bus, so probably not.

Do you think the new 4.0 bus will be enough to support multiple new generations of SSDs, or will we be maxing it out in the next generation of SSDs already?

i defy you to prove it does exist.

that could merely be a sticker on an old part! ;)

lets try to register the serial number, and or call technical support about the serial number, etc

Anand updated the article with a statement from Samsung to expect more information in Q2. So not happening anytime soon.

Reactions: dgz
like this
Any low QD random 4k benchmarks? I really don't care about improvements to sequential speeds at this point.
This was just a tease. Someone at Anand walking by the Samsung booth at CES noticed this and snapped a pic.

so it IS just a sticker on an old part
Good joke, but the circuitry we can see is different from the 970 series.

upload_2020-1-8_15-6-8.png

upload_2020-1-8_15-5-19.png

upload_2020-1-8_15-5-42.png

Can anyone read the data matrix on the label?

PSID and SN are placeholders, by the way.

PSID is 12345678912345678912345671234567
SN is SSGZN1234567891

Pro always costs too much for me, doubt I can take advantage of it. But my next SSD will be an NVMe for sure. Just wondering if I should do an entire motherboard upgrade though.

I'm actually more excited about the 2TB PCIE 3.0 Inland Drives, their speeds are excellent and it's twice the capacity of my 970 Pro 1TB for half the price. I'm incredibly happy with the 1TB Inland drive in the system I have it in. I picked up my 970 Pro for about 400 bucks on sale... but I would expect these 4.0 Drives to be insanely expensive on release.

Do you think the new 4.0 bus will be enough to support multiple new generations of SSDs

(I haven't read any replies below erek's yet.)

Probably not. IIRC PCIe4 x4 supports about 7.88GB/s maximum so we're already close.

Do you think the new 4.0 bus will be enough to support multiple new generations of SSDs, or will we be maxing it out in the next generation of SSDs already?

The main thing is that M.2 drives don't permit many NAND chips on the PCB by default so reaching peak speed there is going to take a generation or two. Flip over to U.2 which has the same 4 lane PCIe 4.0 support, they could saturate that now as additional channels and more NAND per channel are possible. The physical form factor of M.2 is holding back peak performance (not that anyone really should care given its target market).

When I was setting up my new rig, I was going to go with a PCIe 3.0 samsung 970 pro 1T, but doing some looking at the other drives available, I ended up going with a 1T Corsair force MP600 drive PCI 4.0 drive. I just did not see the point of paying top dollar for an older drive, even though Ive been happy with all my samsung SSDs...well except that 840 EVO I bought....

Back