Samsung 960 PRO and 960 EVO Details and Specifications

So what happens if you put one of these in a socket underneath 2 cards in sli?

The SM961 Works absolutely fine as a Windows 10 boot and Star Citizen drive in my system:

2 x Titan X(P)s in SLI, overclocked and a 6950x over clocked. All in a low airflow (going for silence) case.

The drive is fine. People tend to really exaggerate the heat thing on this. Everyday use generally isn't copying large files back and forth for hours on end.

Looks like samsung.com finally has dates listed for the different versions:

960 PRO 512GB - Ships by 11/11.
960 PRO 1TB - Ships by 11/18.
960 PRO 2TB - Ships by 12/19.
960 EVO 250GB - Ships by 12/19.
960 EVO 500GB - Ships by 12/19.
960 EVO 1TB - Ships by 12/19.

Reactions: lazz
like this
Looks like samsung.com finally has dates listed for the different versions:

960 PRO 512GB - Ships by 11/11.
960 PRO 1TB - Ships by 11/18.
960 PRO 2TB - Ships by 12/19.
960 EVO 250GB - Ships by 12/19.
960 EVO 500GB - Ships by 12/19.
960 EVO 1TB - Ships by 12/19.
Eek. I was planning on going with the 1TB 960 Evo, but if it's that far out I'll probably just go with an 850 Evo, which is maybe what I should be doing anyway.

As far as SATA SSD vs PCIe... I went from 500gb 850 evo to 512gb 950 pro and notice only the smallest of difference. I also noticed a small difference from a budget SSD to 850 evo... so all depends if you want the best of the best or not. I personally don't see the need to go past EVO speeds... they're usually a great price and performance ratio.

I just changed my antivirus. As part of that, I had to reboot a "clean" machine. No antivirus or game logins, etc. I was amazed at how fast my SSD OS booted. The speed increase attained by turning off my AV will, no doubt, be far greater than any difference I can notice between any two SSDs.

But that's just for my home computer...for other folks, the differences may be noticeable.

960 EVO, here I come!

I can't believe we're getting NVM-E for that low of a price, it seems almost too good to be true...

Eek. I was planning on going with the 1TB 960 Evo, but if it's that far out I'll probably just go with an 850 Evo, which is maybe what I should be doing anyway.

What about an intel 600p? the 512G at microcenter is ~ $140. I think I paid about the same for my 850 evo m.2 (sata)

Those evo prices are great.
Now they just have to make the pros slowly go down in price as well.

Get em before Trump slaps his 35% tariff on imported goods coming from Asia. Make America Great Again. You should buy Intel and make sure it was made in USA.

God Bless America and only America!

Fuck me. 479 bones for a 1 TB EVO is just too much moolah for me. I am going to wait some more. :mad:

You don't really have a choice, the EVOs don't seem to be shipping until at least January now.

As long as they are out by time the Intel 7700Ks come out, I'll be happy as that is when I plan to finally build new PC after 5+ years of 2600K usage.

Any reason to buy the 950 Pro over the 960 Evo?

What abou the 850 Pro and the 850 Evo, how do they stand?

Any reason to buy the 950 Pro over the 960 Evo?
What abou the 850 Pro and the 850 Evo, how do they stand?
Although some will claim otherwise, if it's for a laptop or a desktop computer, there's no reason. If it's a server there is. Some will site the better warranty, but it's irrelevant, because the drive is unlikely to die within 3-5 years (whatever the EVO warranty is) and if it does die in 5.1 years (out of warranty), it you'll be better off buying a new, faster and larger drive.

The EVOs haven't been in stock anywhere yet. Early December seems to be when retails receive (limited) inventory.

Anyone know what the deal is with these and the evos? And all the delays? Samsung emailed me 4 days ago on my 500gb evo, stating it would ship first week of the new year.

Today they emailed stating its back ordered, which is odd as it was a preorder anyhow, that I got in within a hour of them first being online.

Are you in US? I picked up the EVO 500gb on Amazon. I got mine for $264. It looks like they are at about $300 now. Pros are going for a lot more. They are selling through 3rd party sellers at Amazon. Make sure you buy from well rated seller. I bought mine from 100% rated seller last night and got shipping confirmation with tracking number today.

Finally an affordable (yet not crippled) m.2 nvme drive

In for a 256gb EVO at launch

the 250GB drive actually drops to 300MB/s when the buffer is full (13/22/44GB for 250/500/1TB). For that reason the cheapest EVO I would get is the 500GB model which has a lot more buffer and only drops to 600MB/s.

I pre-ordered my 512GB 960 Pro on Amazon on Nov 3rd, and I'm still waiting. :(

Yep they keep pushing the dates forward. I think they are making sure it doesn't catch fire :D I've see the 250GB evo and 1TB Pro at Microcenter. I didn't want to drop the cash for 1TB pro though. They went really fast.

Still waiting for the 960 Evo 1tb. Nowhere in the UK has actually had them in stock yet.

I got mine for 238 along with watch dogs 2 from Samsung. Not really rushing to pay much more than that. I just can't figure out why they are having delays in house but other retailers are getting them.

Per Newegg:

We are contacting you today regarding your pre-order for the Samsung EVO M.2 SSD. Unfortunately, it has been brought to our attention that we did not receive inventory for this product by the projected release date of December 13, 2016. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Is the 960 Pro worth it for speed compared to a normal 850 Pro SSD ?
In most cases, you're going to be bottle-necked by SATA, so I wouldn't really worry about that.

Whichever you get a better price on $/GB is what I'd grab.

If going NVME, it really depends on workload...

Is the 960 Pro worth it for speed compared to a normal 850 Pro SSD ?
More than likely, there's no reason for you get a Pro over an EVO (assuming the latter is available). As I recall, the main benefit of the Pro series is in servers. Most argue the warranty in pro is worth it, but IMNSHO, the drive is going to be too small to care about in 3 years, so a 5-10 year warranty is meaningless.

the drive is going to be too small to care about in 3 years, so a 5-10 year warranty is meaningless.
That's what I thought about my 256GB 830 Pros...

They migrated out of an array on my server into mirrored boot drives for my gaming rig, down to individual drives to hold my steam library/etc.

Once they were too small for that, they moved out of my desktop and into different laptops in my family and are still going strong.

I bought them 5 years ago and they are still in daily use and will still be for some time.

SKkJN5P.png

-- Dave

That's what I thought about my 256GB 830 Pros...

They migrated out of an array on my server into mirrored boot drives for my gaming rig, down to individual drives to hold my steam library/etc.

Once they were too small for that, they moved out of my desktop and into different laptops in my family and are still going strong.

I bought them 5 years ago and they are still in daily use and will still be for some time.

SKkJN5P.png

-- Dave
I'm not saying I won't use it. I'm saying getting a warranty replacement will not be a big deal. If in another 2-3 of years my 840 Pro dies, I'm probably not worried about getting a warranty replacement. It's a 250GB drive and I already wish I had 500 GB, so even now I wouldn't sweat it if it was out of warranty and in 2-3 years, I'll probably want at least 1TB for the boot SSD. That doesn't mean, of course that I'd toss it out before it dies. Just that the warranty isn't worth the premium you pay for desktop/laptop use.

Amazon just got a bunch of stock of the 500GB Evos. They were in stock on Christmas day. Thought about ditching my 960pro reservation and just save $70 + actually get the drive. Then they sold out.
I'm still thinking about switching over. Should I stick with the pro?

Amazon just got a bunch of stock of the 500GB Evos. They were in stock on Christmas day. Thought about ditching my 960pro reservation and just save $70 + actually get the drive. Then they sold out.
I'm still thinking about switching over. Should I stick with the pro?
I like to think that you are paying for an extended warranty with the higher price, plus the 960 Pro is faster. But I seriously doubt you would notice the difference except if you run benchmarks. Something else to think about is how long do you keep your system before upgrading.

I went through the same dilemma and decided on the 960 EVO 1TB. It's already SO much faster than anything I've ever had, even a 950 Pro which I came from. The EVO has the same thermal management improvements plus the copper backplate, and both 960s have insane wear level numbers...I don't think the Pro is worth it for us "gaming" enthusiasts. The EVO is the sweet spot.

Back