Samsung 860 SSDs Listed Ahead of Official Launch

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
The details on Samsung’s upcoming 860 SSD lineup were momentarily published on its website: these include the new 860 Pro 4TB SSD, which will offer a sequential read speed of up to 560MB/s and write speeds of up to 530MB/s for those who are open to dropping $2K on a single drive.

The M.2 860 EVO drives will come in 500GB, 1TB, and 2TB capacities. All 860 EVO SSDs will come with 64-layer V-NAND, which will have higher endurance compared to the memory used on the 850 EVO series. To back this up, Samsung is introducing a 5-year warranty, too.

$1,900 for a 4TB SSD? Why in the hell would anyone spend that much for a single 4TB SSD with a minor speed bump when they could get two 2TB 850 EVO drives for roughly $1,200 to $1,300? Insane...

$1,900 for a 4TB SSD? Why in the hell would anyone spend that much for a single 4TB SSD with a minor speed bump when they could get two 2TB 850 EVO drives for roughly $1,200 to $1,300? Insane...

You can get a 4TB 850 Evo for about ~$1400 as well. I know because I've been contemplating it. I have just under 500GB left on my 2TB 850 Evo. I could add another 2TB but I've done the multiple drives thing for years and I'm over it.

I'm interested in the next 250gb and 500gb offerings.

And is the 860 m.2 a nvme?

I'm interested in the next 250gb and 500gb offerings.

And is the 860 m.2 a nvme?
It's getting kind of confusing with the 800 series. I believe all Samsung 800 series SSDs are SATA interface, or m.2 versions with AHCI. I believe all Samsung 900 series SSDs are m.2 interface with NVMe (and AHCI on some enterprise models).

For nvme, you will have to wait for the 970 EVO/Pro to get 64-layer TLC/MLC.

with the possible exception of a pricing error a month or 2 after launch, it's rarely ben below 1350 and is currently close to 1500. I'm not advocating for an even higher priced SSD, but this model has generally been more than 2x a 2tb model. I know, I've been eying the 4tb evo for almost a year. Sadly prices have mostly gone up.

You can get a 4TB 850 Evo for about ~$1400 as well. I know because I've been contemplating it. I have just under 500GB left on my 2TB 850 Evo. I could add another 2TB but I've done the multiple drives thing for years and I'm over it.

4TB is a lot to lose all at one time.

4TB is a lot to lose all at one time.

Yup. People bitch all the time about hard drive reliability (not mentioning any brand names), and those are like $100 for 4TB. Imagine losing some $2k 4TB SSD's.... man that would suck.

You backup the import shit onto a spinning HDD and put that drive in a drawer.

I prefer Zip and Jaz disks, thanks. :)

I'm ready for tapes to make a comeback in the consumer realm. At work we use an IBM tape library that can do 10TB per tape to back up the SANs. I'd like one for home but they likely cost a ton.

10 years ago I tossed a bunch of old SDLT drives and tapes in the dumpster. Those were 100gb per tape I think. I thought about bringing them home but was like... wait.... 10 tapes to back up a 1 TB drive that costs $100 (back then) plus I'd need to find a scsi card etc etc. TRASHED

Yup. People bitch all the time about hard drive reliability (not mentioning any brand names), and those are like $100 for 4TB. Imagine losing some $2k 4TB SSD's.... man that would suck.
Great point if you don't back up your HD and you're holding onto those drives for 10 years. Aside from some issues under warranty (and in those cases I suspect it was my fault), I've never had a ssd go bad and frankly it's been years since a spinner went bad. Honestly, considering many of us (most?) are buying 8TB spinners, I'm hard pressed to figure out why people are worrying about a 4tb SSD.

SSD capacity growth in the consumer market certainly has been slower than the market suggested it would be :(

Sorry, for around $900 you can build you a 32TB NAS Raid Box that would be screaming fassst

Back