Samsung 850 EVO

killroy67

[H]ard|Gawd
I am currently thinking of making the jump to a SSD drive and Im looking at the Samsung 850 EVO. My question is can I clone my current WD drive with Windows 10 on it to the new SSD drive using Macrium Reflect software?

Yes you can. But I also recommend the plextor cloning software. There are a lot of other apps for cloning too but haven't tested them yet.

Macrium or the Samsung cloning software works great, just make sure to clean up your OS install before you clone. The 850 is a good choice for most casual users as well. Can't really go wrong.

Thanks for the responses, I will probably order it so I can have it for the weekend. Really looking forward to giving this a whirl!! :)

OP, why did you wait till almost 2017 to try out an SSD... just wondering?? I have been using a 850evo 250gb drive for a long while now and its been flawless.. Maybe soon you will try out a m.2 pcie 3.0 x4 ssd soon too. That will blow you away!

OP, why did you wait till almost 2017 to try out an SSD... just wondering?? I have been using a 850evo 250gb drive for a long while now and its been flawless.. Maybe soon you will try out a m.2 pcie 3.0 x4 ssd soon too. That will blow you away!
Mostly price...I did look at the M.2 SSD's and just to expensive for my budget.

I have helped clone a HD to SSD, it worked fine, the partition sizes didn't even matter as long as the drive wasn't full.

It worked fine.

I'd recommend a fresh install though, I know most OS's have some features they enable/disable for SSD's that will otherwise stay on.

Fresh install works BETTER. But a drive clone works just fine...

First off, good choice on the 850 Evo. I've got one and it's been nothing but a great drive since day 1 (knock on wood).

Second, like others have said, I'd recommend a fresh install. A clone will work but Windows will be much happier with a clean install, especially if you've been running on the same installation for a length of time.

You should try m.2. I've bought an m.2 950 ... and i have it for work files and games, DUDE, loading stuff is so much quicker then SSD. I also bought a msi m5 MB tbecause it has 2x m.2 slots already and boy am i happy, ... soon i am gona buy another 950 maybe even a 512gb one and change system from ssd to m.2 as well.. then we can fly to the sky with diamonds together like true champs!!! :)

I got my new Samsung 850 EVO 1TB today and got it installed. Damn is it small, I need doctors hands for the little screws!! LOL!! Anyhow I used Marcrium Reflect to clone it since Im familiar with it. Everything went smooth as butter!! What a speed difference!! From cold booting, restarting and launching programs it is so fast!! For now I will see how the clone works out, Im a truck driver so I dont have much free time, maybe at a later date I will do a clean install. I will try the M.2 at some point, but I wanted to get a 1TB drive and $500-$600 is way out of my price range. Thanks to everyone for the help and suggestions. I posted a pic of a benchmark I ran also. :)

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    44.2 KB · Views: 45
You should try m.2. I've bought an m.2 950 ... and i have it for work files and games, DUDE, loading stuff is so much quicker then SSD. I also bought a msi m5 MB tbecause it has 2x m.2 slots already and boy am i happy, ... soon i am gona buy another 950 maybe even a 512gb one and change system from ssd to m.2 as well.. then we can fly to the sky with diamonds together like true champs!!! :)

Did it ever occur to you that this person may be using the SSD in a machine that doesn't have M.2 support?

Samsung new 960 Evo Nvme SSD is releasing this month, offering much better performance over 850 Evo SATA for about the same price. You might just want to wait like 10 days til release date it would be worth it.

Back