Samsung 850 EVO or Mushkin Chronos Deluxe as Windows 10 boot SSD?

grambo

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi folks,

Been a few years since I've been on the forums as I haven't been doing much gaming or hardware changes on my desktop in recent years. I've been running out of space on my SSD which is a Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 240GB (purchased May 2012) so I just ordered a Samsung 850 EVO 250GB to compliment it.

I'm going to wipe the drive and install Windows 10 fresh, the issue I'm having is should I use the 850 EVO or the Mushkin as a boot drive? I assume the Samsung has to be faster given it's 3 years newer than the Mushkin, but I can't find any direct comparisons. I'm not familiar enough with NAND technology to know if maybe the Mushkin is better since it was a "Pro" drive back in the day.

Drive will be running on Intel SATA3 on my Z77 board.

Thanks!

I absolutely love my evos. I know it sounds silly but I actually prefer Samsung because they actually make the controllers so you get the full space on their ssd drives.

I absolutely love my evos. I know it sounds silly but I actually prefer Samsung because they actually make the controllers so you get the full space on their ssd drives.

that makes no sense. Samsung over provisions like every brand.

You should upgrade and get NVMe :p

Forgot to check AT, found this direct comparison in their bench tool:

http://anandtech.com/bench/product/1090?vs=1396

The Samsung wins pretty much every category so I will be booting off it.

SomeGuy: I do not use my computer in a way that NVMe would be a perceivable benefit, especially given the cost. I basically game a few hours a week and browse the web/listen to music on it. Next upgrade is a new GPU, was gonna grab a 970 but the cost is laughable in Canada right now for a 12 month old card.

Forgot to check AT, found this direct comparison in their bench tool:

http://anandtech.com/bench/product/1090?vs=1396

The Samsung wins pretty much every category so I will be booting off it.

SomeGuy: I do not use my computer in a way that NVMe would be a perceivable benefit, especially given the cost. I basically game a few hours a week and browse the web/listen to music on it. Next upgrade is a new GPU, was gonna grab a 970 but the cost is laughable in Canada right now for a 12 month old card.

at this point wait for pascal...its like 6-9 months out.

You're not going to notice a difference either way.

Back