SAMSUNG 850 EVO 500gb SSD $154

Tempting...but I keep feeling like the price on SSDs is going to crash. Can't decide if I want to pull the trigger.

I don't think they've ever crashed per se, as in dropped dramatically overnight... Outside of a few rare instances where they're either trying to clear out old models or a combination of that plus something like a refurb sale (see the recent M500 sale thread for one such example).

Prices do keep dropping steadily year over year tho... You can easily expect to pay half as much for the same captivity in two years or so. Dunno about the immediate future, there'll be more TLC and 3D NAND drives from other brands besides Samsung by year's end or 2016...

That might have an impact on prices, dunno... The race amongst SATA SSD is slowing down tho, they aren't bound to get much better/faster so it's gonna start to come down to price/support/etc.

What I mean is that with the advent of 3D NAND, SSD capacities are going to explode, which will force the prices of lower end 256 and 500GB models to the bottom of the barrel (theoretically). Samsung already has a 2TB 850 Evo now, it's only a matter of time until the rest of the pack catches up and the prices drop like a stone.

If you need an SSD now, but this, if you don't need one then wait. It is never a good idea to buy an SSD,.HDD or RAM sooner than you need because the prices keep dropping. Will it be lower in a few weeks? I doubt it, but in 6 months this will be a normal price and the discounts will be below it. In a year if Intel really does bring out the new Tech for SSds then these will drop drastically for as long as they have stock of them.

Picked up this deal when it arrived in the email this am. Going to replace the wife's 60GB SSD with one of these so I can move all over her "My Documents" back onto the main drive. It will make backups faster and I think she'll like the speed at she can search and open documents.

If you need an SSD now, but this, if you don't need one then wait. It is never a good idea to buy an SSD,.HDD or RAM sooner than you need because the prices keep dropping. Will it be lower in a few weeks? I doubt it, but in 6 months this will be a normal price and the discounts will be below it. In a year if Intel really does bring out the new Tech for SSds then these will drop drastically for as long as they have stock of them.

Generally, that's true. The problem is, we've seen things like fires, tsunamis, and other disasters that have f'd up PC component industries for years.

Some of the stuff I bought four years ago is roughly the same price today. The 2TB WD Caviar Black hard drive I bought in August 2011 for $140 sells for $120 today (exact model is no longer made, so the current drive with equivalent specs). The same 4x4GB sticks of 1600MHz DDR3 I bought that same month for $100 now sells for...$100.

What I mean is that with the advent of 3D NAND, SSD capacities are going to explode, which will force the prices of lower end 256 and 500GB models to the bottom of the barrel (theoretically). Samsung already has a 2TB 850 Evo now, it's only a matter of time until the rest of the pack catches up and the prices drop like a stone.

Maybe, they did take a while to bring out the 2TB tho, and ended up pricing it the same per GB as current models... Even street price has been about the same per GB, including sales etc.

It's possible with the advent of a second or third gen 3D process that larger capacities might push prices down, dunno. There was talk recently about Samsung actually substituting newer NAND under the current models, which would be a first for them.

Couldn't resist. Ordered! Now I can upgrade the wifes PC to Win 10 after I install my old SanDisk Extreme. 10 on a mechanical HDD sucks.

Back