Samsung 840 Pro SSD Review @ [H]

Finally caved in and got the 256gb model. Currently running my OS off my nearly 10 year old 74gb WD Raptor. Haha

Plan on doing the HD cloning since the SSD is more than 3 times the size of my hd.

Oh yeah and going to move all my games to the ssd as well.

Glad to see I am not the only one still using 35GB Raptors in RAID.
I am building a new system and I think these would be my choice (the last system I built which I am using now is when these Raptors came out). My question is are you able to RAID 0 or 1 these SSD's?

After some google searching I found my answer.

Last edited:
Of course: SSDs can be setup in RAID just like any other drive.

I am considering the purchase of the Samsung 840 Pro, but I need to verify something regarding firmware updates using the Magician software. I have my motherboard Intel disk controller in RAID mode to support a RAID-1 disk drive configuration. I plan on connecting the Samsung 840 Pro to my motherboard Intel controller, and will access it using the latest Intel RST driver software. I will *not* put the Samsung SSD in a multi-drive RAID configuration, as it will be the boot drive.

Since my disk controller is in RAID mode, will I have any issue accessing the Samsung 840 Pro using the Magician software? I've seen some mention of issue doing firmware updates to the Samsung 840 in RAID configurations, but it's not clear to me if there's an issue with a single Samsung 840 connected to the Intel controller that's set to RAID mode.

I understand using single drive configurations on the Intel controller in RAID mode will have TRIM support using the Intel RST driver - correct?

840 Pro (512GB) vs. 830 (256GB) Steady State

Where did all your money go? To Random Write (IOPS) which are more than double.
71k from 34k.

Samsung_840Pro_830.png

I've only been using mine for a bit over 600 hours and it's already written 1.11tb on the disc. Is this normal?

1.8GB/h is not not low, but not a real problem for your SSD.

You can find out by: Task Manager > Performance > Resource Monitor > Disk > And go to the Write Tab, and see whats is doing all those write I/O's.

1.8GB/h is not not low, but not a real problem for your SSD.

You can find out by: Task Manager > Performance > Resource Monitor > Disk > And go to the Write Tab, and see whats is doing all those write I/O's.

OK thanks!

I just picked up 4x256 Pros. Anyone suggest a RAID card to run RAID 0? I'm trying to figure out if having a card with onboard 512/1gb of cache will help out the array or if a bbu will help.

Thanks!

I just picked up 4x256 Pros. Anyone suggest a RAID card to run RAID 0? I'm trying to figure out if having a card with onboard 512/1gb of cache will help out the array or if a bbu will help.
The onboard Intel controller is as good as it gets for R0, but you will see little real-world benefits of having 4 SSDs in raid 0, unless you do something real special.

Having your OS and game data on different disk helps, using more memory and Windows Superfetch also helps.

But more then 2 SSDs in R0 is gone do noting for a desktop, and it properly will actually make seek time worse.

So i would would not use R0 at all, but if you gone use it, use 2x R0 for OS, and 2x R0 for game files.

Why do i have wear leveling count at 99 when i've only written 1,29TB on it?

firstly, i d like to respond to the post velociraptors in raid 0 i did this 3 years ago with 600gb vel and theyre no where near as fast as sammy ssd . Also ive upgraded from samsung 830 to 840 pro 512gb and the difference in real world terms is remarkable. The 840 pro is faster and smoother and boots 5 seconds quicker on overclocked 3770k 4.7ghz The only other ssd which is as good is the ocz vector which i also own and operate. i hope this helps anyone.

All the good reviews got me to just pull the trigger and ordered myself two 512gb 840 pro's for two of my rigs. Was gonna go 256gb/240gb SSD but samsung pro SSD reviews were just too good to pass. Now just gotta sell my two 240gb corsair GS force and two 256 plextor m5pros lol. They all new never even installed...lol never even tasted the SSD speed yet but i hope the upgrade is worth it. And i needed the bigger space. Cant wait to actually install it and clone my HDD lol

All the good reviews got me to just pull the trigger and ordered myself two 512gb 840 pro's for two of my rigs. Was gonna go 256gb/240gb SSD but samsung pro SSD reviews were just too good to pass. Now just gotta sell my two 240gb corsair GS force and two 256 plextor m5pros lol. They all new never even installed...lol never even tasted the SSD speed yet but i hope the upgrade is worth it. And i needed the bigger space. Cant wait to actually install it and clone my HDD lol

Lol that's totally unecessecary. The Plextor M5 Pro is perfectly fine and is as fast and reliable as the Samsung Pro's.

is this normal?
I bought this new last week and even though it is quick, AS SSD says so other wise:

12660802.png

my specs:
2600k (stock)
win 7 64bit pro
12gb 1600mhz ram (stock)
asrock extreme4-m
256gb 840 pro (duh!!!)

mobo is set to achi, it is in one of 4 sata3 plugs with a sata3 cable. Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

Nope download the Samsung Magician SSD App. It might give you some info about your setup that will help you figure it out.

Does anyone have any experience with the built-in AES encryption? Googling around, I would need a motherboard with TPM...is that commonplace these days? Also, would the encryption work on Windows XP,or is it OS-dependent?

I have used it without TPM, you have to use a USB stick instead. However, there is a ton of host overhead. At least on my old school lappy :)

Just had a taste of this samsung pro 840 and wow....about 40sec faster than my regular HDD honestly didnt even time what my HDD booted but was significantly fast corsair SSD vs western HDD.. And now just tasted the samsung...my windows boot crazy fast now. 1~3 seconds faster than the corsair gs force series for sure. But not really really noticable corsair vs samsung but samsung is defitnely faster on the clock.. Cant wait to RAID 0 two samsung pros tommorow hopefully without any hiccups...
Will post back with results for RAID0 setup of the samsung pros 512 and RAID0setup of the corsair GS force. CANT wait.

^^^ Tell me about it, i installed win 7 64bit pro through usb and it didnt it under 12 minutes!!!
This was just plugging the 840 pro in, making sure bios is set to achi and install.

Also im running at rated speeds:
370mb read
365mb write

Another one of these at 512gb for my steam/games drive and i'll be a happy camper, that along with a low power 6 core intel proc (when they finally make them), gtx 680 4gb.

my thoughts exactly, not counting raid, aren't most ssd just faster than a standard hdd?

Most SSDs (even the older ones - such as Samsung's own 83x) are silly-faster than standard hard drives - even when coupled to chipsets like Intel G3x/G4x, which don't even support AHCI (that is why SSDs are being pushed as upgrades for notebooks, especially the older sort running Vista or 7). The reason for the renewed push nowadays is some actual pricing sanity at the 128GB and 256GB sizes - Samsung, for example, is celebrating the new MDX controller with a launch of another SSD push through the entirety of the reseller channel.

The 840 Pro has (apparently) a larger cache than previous models, and MUCH larger than even the quickest HDDs; the 840 Pro 128GB has 256MB of on-drive cache. (This is the "value drive" of the lineup, targeted at portables and desktops alike - to put that in perspective, Western Digital's Caviar BLACK 1TB HDD has one-quarter the cache amount.)

Where I'm running into pulling the trigger is dual-booting (in my case, a desktop OS and a server OS); do I also buy a second boot SSD for the server side, or simply stick to a cache-only SSD for server operations? SSDs and servers - even in a test-lab environment in a home - are not exactly typical, due to the capacity requirements of server-management programs - Microsoft System Center Essential 2010 eats up a MINIMUM of nearly 200GB over and above Windows Server 2008R2. Also, does Windows Server even support the use of cache-only SSDs? (While Windows 7 and 8 - both based on Windows Server code - both do, it does not necessarily follow that the server OSes themselves permit such operation.)

I didnt really need the need for raid0 of my ssd so i reinstalled using just 1 samsung pro and its still fast enough for my needs..LOEV IT..

It seems to get faster as it gets broken in to? Was getting a speed of 500~ on day 1 but now getting 530~540mbs!

OK now i've written 1,71 TB to my drive and it has runt about 50 days and it equals about 35 gigs per day. Is that much?

"Much" is a relative term. What is it that you want to know?

What would be the best driver to use for this SSD with a p67a ud4 b3? Please post driver version also.

Hello folks!

After using the 830 and 840 in different systems I decided to switch my main system to Samsung, too.

Primary (OS) SSD in this system is still a Intel G2 Postville 160 GB but as secondary drive I started using a Samsung 840 Non-Pro 500GB in December 2012. The drive failed in February - it was no longer detected by BIOS or OS.

The replacement was the same size and model and failed just last week with the same error (so both drives lasted about 2 months each).

I switched to the Pro series now using a 840 Pro 512 GB. Today I recognized that the drive did not wake up from sleep when the rest of the system woke up. This is really disappointing.

I am using the hybrid energy saving mode of Windows 7 which is a combination of suspend-to-RAM and suspend-to-disk (as a backup if power was lost and waking up from RAM doesn't work).

Are there known issues for the Samsung 840s concerning hibernation/standby etc.?

I am one step ahead from switching over to Intel 520 as I am quite disappointed by the Samsung's reliability.

Rest of my system: i7-3770k, Asus Z77, 16 GB

Cheers DrNo123

"Much" is a relative term. What is it that you want to know?

Well i just to know if it's much? I am using youtube alot, could that be the problem? Often in most cases i get over 10 gigabytes of writes on my web-browser alone per day.

Drives don't need drivers. Your chipset does, however.

You can find the latest intel drivers for your P67 chipset here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Se...=Intel®+Chipset+Software+Installation+Utility

or probably at the official gigabyte page for your board.

Necessary for me despite i having the lot older P35-chipset or is the chipset drivers that came with 8 enought?

Well i just to know if it's much?
I have a piece of string. Is it long?

I am using youtube alot, could that be the problem? Often in most cases i get over 10 gigabytes of writes on my web-browser alone per day.
I think it is. You've become too accustomed to consuming content instead of producing it. You don't need an SSD, and you certainly don't need a high-performance SSD, to consume things that other people have invented. Has your dependence on other people to entertain you has made you weak and vulnerable.

I have a piece of string. Is it long?

I think it is. You've become too accustomed to consuming content instead of producing it. You don't need an SSD, and you certainly don't need a high-performance SSD, to consume things that other people have invented. Has your dependence on other people to entertain you has made you weak and vulnerable.

Meh stupid troll...

The hardware.info stress test has written 550 TB to the 840 with 2000 write cycles (1000 is considered EoL) and it still hasn't failed or encountered any errors.

Back