Samsung 840 Pro -- Owners Report

Any more updates on this issue? mwroobel how are the remaining 2 drives performing?

Well, it is not 2 drives anymore. D1 was DOA, D2 died week1, D3 (that was flaking out the other day) is now a brick. Drive 4 is plugging away fine but we are being pragmatic and planning its funeral now.

Got mine today!! Running fine as far as I can tell also received the Assassins Creed 3 slip. Reinstalled Windows 7 in 11 minutes give or take.

Downloading BF3 and Steam stuff.

Will post benchmark speed later of what program f if I know :) Been rock solid for 1 hour haha!! :p

Last edited:
45 second Malwarebytes quick scan. I'm downloading BF3 and TF2 and running Firefox in background.

28snbdz.png
[/IMG]

Nice :D

Lets see some speed tests :eek:

Hoping to get around to run some tests on my 840P and my Intel 330s that showed up today too.

Nice :D

Lets see some speed tests :eek:

Hoping to get around to run some tests on my 840P and my Intel 330s that showed up today too.

Here's what my sytem pulls with this benchmark tool, hopefully I set it up best. Hope that helps.
qqznd2.png
[/IMG]

I'm seeing some variance in benchmark numbers from my drive that I can't explain. 4k-64 thread reads have scored between 380 and 303 MB/s. My only thought is it could be a side effect of queued up work/cleanup from the write tests.

Is there anything else to look out for other than the previously mentioned 30s freezes as a sign of drive failure?

(Win8 / z77 / cstates off)
33xfol1.jpg

I'm seeing some variance in benchmark numbers from my drive that I can't explain. 4k-64 thread reads have scored between 380 and 303 MB/s. My only thought is it could be a side effect of queued up work/cleanup from the write tests.

Is there anything else to look out for other than the previously mentioned 30s freezes as a sign of drive failure?

33xfol1.jpg

You are running tests on your active OS drive. That colors everything depending on what the system is doing when benchmarking. If you want to match benchmarks like you see online, secure erase the drive and test it when booted off another drive for the OS.

I have never had an SSD. I'm asking for one for Christmas. Hopefully any issues with this 840 Pro will be sorted out by then.

33xfol1.jpg

Those are some pretty insane 4k reads...

I'm doing better in BF3 now, and scoring more points with an SSD :D Nohshar Canal 64 man map. Just spamming around. :p Day 2 and the 840 pro SSD is still goin strong.

2ajqbkm.jpg

I'm doing better in BF3 now, and scoring more points with an SSD :D Nohshar Canal 64 man map. Just spamming around. :p Day 2 and the 840 pro SSD is still goin strong.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry that you are happy after two days that it is "still going strong". :confused:

LOL. I love the new BETA testing programs for SSDs these days. Gotta love it. Early adopters get to pay the hefty price premium AND test it out for these companies, LOLLERS. Been there, done that quite a few times.

Gotten pretty lucky in the past I must say, but I'm not a day-1 buyer on SSDs any more.

anandtech some responsibility on this?

their original 840 pro died and they massively underplayed that failure and overplayed the performance.

stick to tried and tested 830s guys.

anandtech some responsibility on this?

their original 840 pro died and they massively underplayed that failure and overplayed the performance.

stick to tried and tested 830s guys.

How do you figure they "massively underplayed" the failure? They reported on the initial failure and the replacement failure, and actually recommended that people defer purchases until they get more info from Samsung.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry that you are happy after two days that it is "still going strong". :confused:

Cuz Anantech Shrimpi and people here make such big deals about things sucking like AMD CPUs or Samsung SSD's all cuz 1 opinion it's so gay, so many lemmings here.

How do you figure they "massively underplayed" the failure? They reported on the initial failure and the replacement failure, and actually recommended that people defer purchases until they get more info from Samsung.

maybe I missed that? if so apologies.

I am talking of the original article tho before the replacement failure, was that warning there then?

maybe I missed that? if so apologies.

I am talking of the original article tho before the replacement failure, was that warning there then?

The original 840 Pro review mentioned the initial failure, and then an update a few days later also mentioned the replacement failure and the suggestion to stay away until they get more info from Samsung.

45 second Malwarebytes quick scan. I'm downloading BF3 and TF2 and running Firefox in background.

28snbdz.png

Well, virus scanning isn't exactly a good test since it depends what stuff you have on your computer and it still probably isn't hard disk bottlenecked really (any SSD probably gives similar results).
testhzun1.png

Well, virus scanning isn't exactly a good test since it depends what stuff you have on your computer and it still probably isn't hard disk bottlenecked really (any SSD probably gives similar results).

Agreed, I ran it just for shits just to see what I'd get on my year old OS install and early 2011 OCZ Vertex 3 MAX IOPS SSD. Results below.

7m5ut.png

Oh maybe you 2 bros couldnt tell but my previous disk drive was a Hard Drive, sorry that was so confusing. It was a bit slower at scanning than your guys SSDs...lul

Well I got my 840 Pro installed. Did a fresh install all the latest drivers. Everything was going well and a I even tried BF3, played perfect no problems. That was until I exited the game. It crashed and my monitor went blank and my system just stopped. Never ever had that happen with the 830 drive. I had to do a hard reset. Then I fired up BF3 again played a bit and exited. But this time it was fine. Not sure what that crash was the first time, but its a bit scary to have after hearing about all these 840 Pro drive failures.

Well, we finished the quadfecta today! The 4th 840 died in the same manner as the 2 other (non-doa) drives. Fine, then weird pauses, then drops out of the system, then bricks. All happened copying large numbers of small files over and over again in our DVTs.

Well, we finished the quadfecta today! The 4th 840 died in the same manner as the 2 other (non-doa) drives. Fine, then weird pauses, then drops out of the system, then bricks. All happened copying large numbers of small files over and over again in our DVTs.

That is bad news. I assume all four of them are completely unresponsive now? Not detected by the BIOS or anything?

Did you happen to open any of them up? One theory is that the power circuit is failing.

Will you be returning them to Samsung directly, or going through a reseller for the RMA?

I don't recall a SSD with so many instances of dying so soon after release. I'm glad I took Anand's advice. I still have money burning a hole in my pocket though.

I don't recall a SSD with so many instances of dying so soon after release. I'm glad I took Anand's advice. I still have money burning a hole in my pocket though.

Same here, I've been waiting for this SSD to hit the market and had it in my newegg cart since you could pre-order it....lol. However I've been following too closely to make the jump. I've been dying to upgrade my 120GB OCZ Vertex 3 too (I need more space) but not to something that'll potentially give me even more headaches than a OCZ Vertex 3 (just firmware issues with it).

Two for two with Anand, four for four with mwroobel. Hmmm...what was the second best option again? lol The newly released Plextor M5P? Just wondering. :)

Hmmm...what was the second best option again? lol The newly released Plextor M5P? Just wondering. :)

The Plextor M5P has been out for about 3 months now and I have not seen any worrisome trouble reports, so I'd say that would be the safe choice right now. The performance is nearly as good as the Samsung 840 Pro.

He's right in a way. My Friend bought the 840 Pro on release day and he has not had one problem its been rock solid. So maybe it was a bad patch of them, who knows.

He's right in a way. My Friend bought the 840 Pro on release day and he has not had one problem its been rock solid. So maybe it was a bad patch of them, who knows.
Well if that's the case he's wrong in a way too. Since no one is posting "fake shit" either. When it's all said and done, we're just curious as to why these confirmed dead SSD's are dying, in a row, and hoping it's not bigger than it already (possibly) appears.

Of course we don't know but using my own personal experience I HAVE NEVER had two of anything from a manufacturer die in a row. However someone in this very thread had four for four die, that says something whether anyone disagrees or not.

Last thing, maybe your friend put his in his machine and it sits mostly idle 90% of the time. These guys reporting premature deaths are putting the SSD through its paces, BIG DIFFERENCE!

The original 840 Pro review mentioned the initial failure, and then an update a few days later also mentioned the replacement failure and the suggestion to stay away until they get more info from Samsung.

I know it mentioned, it had 2 lines at the end in small font.

I said did it display a big warning?

I'll know soon how reliable they are. I have mine in and will be doing alot of work with them this weekend. So for me time will tell...

Should have mine up and running today too... finally!

Installing a new cellular amp and antenna too, should be a fun day :D

What is the software that is being used to make these drives die prematurely? Is it possible for me to DL it?

Anandtech just had their 840 (not Pro) review model fail. They were endurance testing it, but it probably did not fail due to the flash wearing out (it was at 450 erase cycles, which is low even for TLC flash which should be good to over 1000 erase cycles).

Thanks for your feedback, can you let us know what was the firmware number of these 840 Pro ? Thanks

Back