samsung 840 pro 256GB not recognized any longer

michealo

[H]ard|Gawd
I've had this 840 pro 256GB as a secondary drive housing steam game installs for some time now and noticed it went missing today after never giving me problems. it shows in BIOS as 1GB in size but windows and magician refuse to see it even as external device.

is this what happens when SSD's die?
bought it in 1/2013 and presuming it's covered by warranty but waiting on Samsung support response as their registration site doesn't indicate that is is covered.

no way of knowing how much data was written to it as this point but it was used as my OS disk until migrating to a 850 evo 500GB SSD a few months ago.
thanks for any ideas

Last edited:
I don't know that the SSD itself went *poof*. It's possible the controller is in the middle of taking a crap. Broke just enough that you can't read it, but not so broke that the BIOS doesn't see the basic disk reporting.

Your stuff on there's likely gone. Talk with Samsung.

is this what happens when SSD's die?

This type of failure is common for controller failures and firmware bugs that brick the drive.

no way of knowing how much data was written to it

I say that you did not wear the drive out or at least it is highly unlikely that you wore the drive out.

thanks for the replies, samsung support claimed the "1GB capacity in BIOS but not appearing in OS" issue was a known bug with really old firmware although i'm sure i updated it within the last year to whatever was current at the time.
oh well, they're going to RMA the drive and i'll make sure i check firmware updates more often

thanks for the replies, samsung support claimed the "1GB capacity in BIOS but not appearing in OS" issue was a known bug with really old firmware although i'm sure i updated it within the last year to whatever was current at the time.
oh well, they're going to RMA the drive and i'll make sure i check firmware updates more often

you know what this reminds me of? The Intel 8MB bug. Last time this happens to a friend of mine on his Intel 600GB SSD, is June. Now, that drive was flash w/ the latest firmware that intel claims should not have this 8MB bug. But when I call them long distance, they said it still happens

I am convinced it takes at least 2 generations for SSD R&D experience, for a co. to build a mature SSD that has no bug like the 8 MB bug, in which all of a sudden you lost the whole drive.

M.2 is new technology, samsung simply makes the same kind of mistake that intel did.

Oh man... I thought SSD were good for hundreds of years?! My professor said that to me. I didn't buy it one bit.

Oh man... I thought SSD were good for hundreds of years?! My professor said that to me. I didn't buy it one bit.

Well you are unlikely to wear one out in decades of normal desktop usage. However that does not mean the firmware is 100% free of bugs or the controller will not fail.

And in either case a hard disk is at least 2 times more likely to fail and has less than 1/2 of the expected lifespan of a modern day ssd.

Any component in your computer can fail at any time.

That is why you backup your data.

Back