SAMSUNG 840 Pro 2.5" 256GB SATA III SSD $215

Yeah, sadly 150 deals for a 240+ seem to be a thing of the past, with the old drives no longer being made. New hardware is nice and all, but when the impact is so small on the normal desktop front, I would rather cheap 512+ drives over speed that I will probably never notice. With that said, I am tempted by this, as I am looking for a new drive.

Yeah, sadly 150 deals for a 240+ seem to be a thing of the past, with the old drives no longer being made. New hardware is nice and all, but when the impact is so small on the normal desktop front, I would rather cheap 512+ drives over speed that I will probably never notice. With that said, I am tempted by this, as I am looking for a new drive.

830 256GB vs 840 pro 256GB is appreciable on a desktop. I definitely agree though, I'd rather have a 512GB 830 than a 840 pro 256GB.

830 256GB vs 840 pro 256GB is appreciable on a desktop. I definitely agree though, I'd rather have a 512GB 830 than a 840 pro 256GB.

What do you mean by desktop? I have a force gt and have used a 840 pro on a friends system and did not notice any real impact and our systems overall are pretty close.

Thats the best price ever I have seen for those 840 pros
Paid $224 ea. for my last pair
@ that price now at Amazon - but no coupon
I would jump on this in a minute for two more (RAID 0), but all the new PCIe SSD shown at CES makes me pause instead. I want to see what these cost.

And if anyone wants to see a dif then RAID 0 is the plan, and 256 is the sweet spot for these type drives.

What do you mean by desktop?

The same thing you meant by it in your post...

New hardware is nice and all, but when the impact is so small on the normal desktop front..

_________

I have a force gt and have used a 840 pro on a friends system and did not notice any real impact and our systems overall are pretty close.

I did, wasn't enough to make me go buy a 840 pro, but the 840 pro was noticeably faster. As I said...

I'd rather have a 512GB 830 than a 840 pro 256GB.

The same thing you meant by it in your post...

I mean what apps etc, I saw no change as FF, mail clients, etc open almost instant, and the two games I have on mine did not load any faster.

I SWEAR TO GOD, IF IT HITS 160$ I'M INSTA-FIRING.

jk, who wouldn't lulz.

With all these 840 Pro sales popping up near-simultaneously, there's a decent chance that either:
  • Samsung is offering certain retailers a rebate due to slower-than-expected sales or
  • a price drop is coming in the next few months or
  • Samsung is selling their huge volume of ssd products at slim margins to starve many of their competitors out of the market. When the dust clears and fewer players are in the game, prices can remain high for those still standing.

Could be none of the above, but given the short period of time since the 840/840 Pro release, retailers don't drop this far below MSRP on hot selling items unless MSRP was stupidly high from the get-go. I'm gonna keep sitting on my current ssd till these 840 Pro drives drop below a street price of ~$190-ish. If at that time 500GB+ ssds haven't dropped below ~$290, I'll grab 3-4x 250GB+ drives.

With all these 840 Pro sales popping up near-simultaneously, there's a decent chance that either:
  • Samsung is offering certain retailers a rebate due to slower-than-expected sales or
  • a price drop is coming in the next few months or
  • Samsung is selling their huge volume of ssd products at slim margins to starve many of their competitors out of the market. When the dust clears and fewer players are in the game, prices can remain high for those still standing.

You just described the boundary conditions for almost every computer part ever made.

I mean what apps etc, I saw no change as FF, mail clients, etc open almost instant, and the two games I have on mine did not load any faster.

Photoshop and Illustrator are the two programs I used and noticed faster loading.

You just described the boundary conditions for almost every computer part ever made.

Basically.

But if I had to put money on it, I would bet its more number 3 than the other two.

With the way the drives are performing compared to the competition if they sell them hard enough now even at a loss they could buy customers for life.

Basically.

But if I had to put money on it, I would bet its more number 3 than the other two.

With the way the drives are performing compared to the competition if they sell them hard enough now even at a loss they could buy customers for life.

Samsung makes every component in their SSDs. I'm guessing their margins are much higher than you think. Even at this price.

Samsung makes every component in their SSDs. I'm guessing their margins are much higher than you think. Even at this price.

It is certainly possible.

I was just pointing out a pill many companies have swallowed in the past to ensure their dominance.

Wasn't intentional, but you're exaggerating. The scenario Samsung is in doesn't apply to "almost every computer part ever made". Try Apple for upgrades to RAM/ssd/etc or ask Intel to lower the cost on Thunderbolt cables.

I just wish the price was lower... What was the price on these around Black Friday?

Back