Samsung 840 NON Pro RAID worth it?

Hooy

Limp Gawd
So since Tri SLI 670's is going to end up too costly with a new mobo and PSU (I have the current X650), I've been thinking about adding another Samsung 840 250gb SSD to create a Raid 0 array.

I have NEVER done anything with RAID and am wondering what's required, but also if it's even worth it for an SSD. I would like more SSD spare regardless as I've maxed mine out.

Any and all help is appreciated, no matter how basic. :p

What do you do with your computer?

If you do large sequential operations you may notice it (copy big files, record real time uncompressed ultra high resolution video, etc)

For most things you will not notice a difference.

Many people instead recommend getting two different SSD's, and splitting your
1) Main programs
2) Windows directory
3) Page file

out across them in some way.

No, you won't notice it.

What do you do with your computer?

If you do large sequential operations you may notice it (copy big files, record real time uncompressed ultra high resolution video, etc)

For most things you will not notice a difference.

Many people instead recommend getting two different SSD's, and splitting your
1) Main programs
2) Windows directory
3) Page file

out across them in some way.

Thanks guys, this is all I needed to hear. Looks like ill stick to a normal setup.

I run a Samsung 830 512gb raid array (1TB) because that's the largest the 830 was offered in.

RAID 0 works great for these drives now with TRIM working and the reliability of 830's.

I may have chosen a single 1TB drive, but I will take advantage of the additional R/W speed when ripping blu rays (I process/package video rather then re-encode. only encode the audio)

Back