Samsung 840 EVO Performance Restoration on a Mac

coolrunnings

Limp Gawd
I have a friend whose iMac we upgraded to a 1tb Samsung 840 EVO around 4 months ago. However, recently she's dealing with a significant slowdown. I've upgraded most of the other 840 EVO's I've set up over the last few years to the new firmware but this is the first Mac I've had to do. I see that Samsung has a bootable ISO that is listed for Mac users. Does anyone know if this works similarly to the Windows version in that you don't lose all the data on the drive? I plan to do a full time-machine backup on the machine prior to the update but was hoping for any experience reports from other Mac users.

Additionally, I've heard that with Yosemite, they have disabled support for TRIM on non-Apple SSDs. I tried a few Trim Enablers on this machine - never with any success - but I was wondering if there's a way to verify there are no modified files that would cause Yosemite to brick the machine in an upgrade. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

I don't really understand your last point. What has TRIM to do with with modified files?
By the way, the 840 EVO really relies on TRIM to keep its performance in the long run.

The last point was this. By default, Apple only enables TRIM on Apple-Branded products. If you install a 3rd party SSD in a Mac, TRIM will not function by default. There are pieces of software that modify the Apple kext (Kernel Extension) files to allow TRIM to function on a Mac. However, these files are not digitally signed by Apple. What I'm wondering is if there's a utility to see if any of these unsigned kext files exist that would cause a problem for Yosemite.

Back