Samsung 840 EVO 120gb in mid-2011 iMac issues

Hey all,

I upgraded a mid-2011 iMac with the aforementioned SSD. I checked out some stats using Activity Monitor and Blackmagic Disk Speed Test. Of course, when initiating tests/data transfers, the read/write speeds knick the maximum throughput of SATA III, settling at ~450MB/sec with write speeds decaying after about 5 seconds. Problem is, the drive now settles at sustained write speeds of 24MB/sec. That's crap. I did the performance update before there was ever more than the OS installed.

Any thoughts? I understand the smaller drives have different write performance than 240gb+, but don't believe it should be less than ~130?

No issues here with 2011 Mac Mini and aftermarket Kingston SSD.

I can't speak to that particular drive, but I've been using a Crucial M4 256GB drive for the entire duration of owning my 2011 iMac, and I've never had a speed issue. I will admit to never testing it, but super short boot-up times and single dock bounces to open Photoshop is basically all the testing I ever needed to do.

Yeahhh. I think the drive is defective, sadly. I deployed 5 of these drives this is the only one with such terrible performance. It happens I guess.

Back