Samsung 840 250gb vs 840 Pro 256gb

CruisD64

2[H]4U
Thanks for tuning in!

So I'm in the market for an SSD. I have a post somewhere about my RAID 0 Blacks starting to fail so I'm looking to upgrade. My question is whether or not its worth it to spend the extra money on the Pro vs the non-Pro 840. Read speeds seem to be the same however the writes are quite a bit different. It seems to me that the 840 non-Pro would do the trick because all my other drives are mechanical and I wont be doing a whole lot of writing. Where else does the write speed really benefit from? Installation of programs from ISO's already on the drive? It's seems that with almost everything I'd be limited by the throughput of the other device be it a mechanical drive, cdrom etc.

Central Computer is selling the standard 840 for $175 with FarCry 3 bundled and the 840 Pro for $250 w/ out FarCry 3. The game is really just a bonus that I could sell off. My main concern is will I notice the difference? I know the Pro is MLC and the non-Pro is TLC. A risk that I'm willing to take.

Thoughts?

Get the Pros. Look at Anandtech's real-world benchmarks and there's a BIG difference between the two.

If you are debating then GO PRO.

Look @ Anand SSD benchmark comparison tool.. eye opening.

You may find some drives that perform better for things you do if you don't get the 840 Pro.

Back