Samsung 830 or 840 or Pro?

Namtaro

n00b
I'm looking to update my laptop's conventional harddisk to a SSD. Been looking at the 830 for a while now, but saw that Samsung released 2 new drives - the 840 and 840 Pro.
I'll be getting a 256Gb SSD as I can store everything else on a external harddisk on the go. I'll be using the disk primarly for photoshop/lightroom post production on the laptop.

Prices I'm seeing on Newegg's preorders are 200 for the 840 and 270 for the 840 Pro. Currently in Canada, I can get the 830 for 200 dollars.

Looking at benchmarks, the 840 Pro is better than the 840 and 830, but is it 70 dollars more performance better? I live in Canada, so I'm expecting a 20-30 dollar jump on the price as well.
Then the 840. Read a few benchmarks, but there I haven't seen and definitive answers as to if it's better or worse than the 830? Do you think I should wait for the 840 or jump on the 830?

Thanks a lot everyone.

In all seriousness, at this point, I doubt you'll notice any difference in performance (real-world) between any quality SSD. About the only place it matters is going to be benchmarks. Sure, I'm personally about to play around with some SSD's in RAID0, but that is really only because I got a good deal on the drives and just want to fiddle with the PC a bit. I would say to look around for a good deal on the 830, or if you don't mind waiting, wait for the 840 to drop in price a bit (I'd assume we'll start seeing sales on them in a few weeks unless Samsung purposely limits supply).

If you see a good deal on the 830 in the next few weeks, go for it. They're all very fast drives and like bpizzle1 said, you're not likely to notice a difference.

I would go with the 830. Especially look for some sales on cyber monday if you are willing to wait that long. I'd take any nice deal, though.

+1 on the 830. If you have the coin the 840 gives you the latest and greatest product, but the difference in real world speeds will come nowhere near the 1/3 additional price you paid.

Even if the 840/840 Pro were the best thing since sliced bread in terms of performance, reliability is my no. 1 priority. I can't trust a new drive on the market with new NAND type (in the case of the 840) and firmware (both). I think anyone else with reliability with their no. 1 priority would feel uncomfortable being a guinea pig, too. And that isn't even going into pricing issues or potential NAND endurance issues.

Even if the 840/840 Pro were the best thing since sliced bread in terms of performance, reliability is my no. 1 priority. I can't trust a new drive on the market with new NAND type (in the case of the 840) and firmware (both). I think anyone else with reliability with their no. 1 priority would feel uncomfortable being a guinea pig, too. And that isn't even going into pricing issues or potential NAND endurance issues.

I keep my data backed up, so what's the big deal. I had an 830 since release day and had zero problems. I'll guinea pig. Mine is pre-ordered. ;)

btw, B&H Photo Video has the 830 256GB on sale for $162 shipped today
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/887983-REG//BI/865/KBID/1173
looks like they might ship to Canada, ymmv on customs fees, etc

Thanks for the link! Even after custom fees and shipping prices, it's still 30 dollars cheaper than it would be if I bought it in Canada.

Looks like the 840 Pro isn't that much of a difference unless I'm benchmarking. And just to confirm, the 830 is better than the 840 correct?
Reliability is also a factor so I wouldn't want to go through the hassle of a RMA etc. The SSD will be going into a Macbook Pro so all the data's backed up anyways.

Whatever is cheapest when you buy, that's the best. The difference isn't noticeable unless your bench-marking.

Thanks for the link! Even after custom fees and shipping prices, it's still 30 dollars cheaper than it would be if I bought it in Canada.

Looks like the 840 Pro isn't that much of a difference unless I'm benchmarking. And just to confirm, the 830 is better than the 840 correct?
Reliability is also a factor so I wouldn't want to go through the hassle of a RMA etc. The SSD will be going into a Macbook Pro so all the data's backed up anyways.
840 is unproven and uses a cheaper type of flash
go with the 830, it's one of the fastest drives out and has a extremely good track record as far as reliability
I consider it the best drive for a Mac

256gb 830 is on sale at newegg for 159 shipped. I was thinking about the 840 pro, but that's just too good to pass up.

The 840 Pro is much better when it comes to power consumption, I'll be upgrading my 830 to an 840 Pro in my laptop, worth it just for the battery life.

The 840 Pro is much better when it comes to power consumption, I'll be upgrading my 830 to an 840 Pro in my laptop, worth it just for the battery life.

Have any links for results that the 840 Pro actually increases battery life?
If it's just 10 minutes or so, it's not worth it for me.

When I'm using my laptop, my hard drive is almost never at idle. 1.75w and 2.17w difference at sequential write and random write. SSD Review quotes just under an hour of extra battery life.

Do you have a cite? I can't find much info, here is some but I am not sure what the stock SSD is for the laptop:

http://reviews.cnet.com/hard-drives/samsung-840-pro-64gb/4505-3186_7-35457831-2.html

Says it was +25 minutes compared to that stock SSD, which I'm trying to figure out the make of. If it's a Samsung 830 inside that MacBook Pro then it'd be an easy comparison.

Do you have a cite? I can't find much info, here is some but I am not sure what the stock SSD is for the laptop:

http://reviews.cnet.com/hard-drives/samsung-840-pro-64gb/4505-3186_7-35457831-2.html

Says it was +25 minutes compared to that stock SSD, which I'm trying to figure out the make of. If it's a Samsung 830 inside that MacBook Pro then it'd be an easy comparison.

You can't link the ssd review here, just search for it and 840 Pro and it's the first result, they also have a review out for the non Pro.

Also, why did cnet review the 64GB version, kind of worthless unless it was 4 years ago.

Looks like those were out of Samsung's mouth not the actual reviewer.

If it's 30 minutes, it's not going to be worth it for me since at the end of the day I already have some juice left using the stock harddrive. 1 Hour on the otherhand... does seem tempting.

Can u make a 830 work in trim on osx now that the apple SSDs on the retina MacBooks are 830s?

Might be another reason to get the 830 over the 840, in a macbook.

canada has a low premium on the pro compared to the uk.

eg. in the uk a 128 gig 830 is £80
128 gig 840 believe it or not although cheaper parts is £110
128 gig 840 pro is £180

although the 840 pro price is diff vendor to the other 2 as my usual vendor doesnt sell the pro yet.

With that aside especiall as you not in the uk and your prices are more favourable, my advice is this.

Avoid the 840, it uses TLC nand.
Get the 840 pro if the extra cost doesnt bother you as it does beat the 830, although is less mature in the market so is a bit riskier.
If the price of the pro bothers you then get the 830. I brought a new 830 for my laptop yesterday.

Or just get the trim enabler app for mac.

I stuffed a cheap Samsung on my mom Mac.

Just picked up a 830 128GB for under 80 and I love it inside my acer S3 =)

I did see Vertex has a sale on some SSD for under 60 at 128GB

I had gotten an 830 256 from microcenter a few weeks back, 180 I think. The thing was it did not include norton ghost even though it said all of them do. there is no key on the package. :(

Back