Samsung 830 last-gen goodness 128GB SSD @ TD/Circuit City and Amazon (5 left) for $90

KarateBob

Gawd
Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Amazon is sold out. It's only available from 3rd party sellers now. The 840 120GB is only $100 though.

meh.. waiting for 512mb deals for ~ $200.. in the mean time getting my moneys worth on my 80gb intel with 7gb free

THANKS!
$90 may not be cheapest but I've wanted a couple of these for misc things for a bit and keep missing the sales!

$90 it is for 3 of them, thank you! :D

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I wish I could have gotten in on Amazon, now I have to pay tax :(

Found one on CostCaptain.com for 86.99 plus 4.99 shipping. Good enough for me!

Last edited:
Got my second one for $70 not long ago, glad I didn't wait for Black Friday... Paid like an average of $115 between this one and the one I bought last year tho. :p Might RAID them now that TRIM can be enabled w/RAID on P67 boards, mostly just to have the single volume rather than the high sequentials.

I'm betting the 840's price is gonna fall quickly next year tho, $100 ain't bad but I wouldn't hurry to get one right now.

paid 109 in may. Def worth the upgrade! I havent touched this current PC since 2010. The only thing I did not upgrade was the 7200HDD and Im glad I got an SSD. Got to a point with PC stuff that I dont upgrade unless its going to make a night and day difference! Now the only problem is this SSD is only 128g & PC games are massive these days...going to wait until a bigger version comes out that is cheaper..

It's better at some things, worse at others, mostly a side grade, or a downgrade if you have a specific use case that's very demanding... But for regular users it'll be just fine once the price drops further, and that's what TLC should really help with. The 830's the better buy as long as they're priced similarly tho.

meh,
I thought so. With reads, the 840 Series' mean service time is nearly as quick as that of its predecessor. Writes are a different story entirely. The new model's write service time is more than twice that of the old 830 Series. Only the Crucial m4 and Intel 320 Series fare worse, and the Intel drive is pretty close.
TLC needs to drop in price A LOT more for it to be a viable option for people like me

I think you're making a lot out of relatively minor performance differences... Yeah it falls behind the 830 in some cases, particularly random writes etc... It's still ahead of other drives like the M4 tho. If you had an M4 & an 830 on identical systems you'd never be able to tell them apart with regular usage cases.

That's gonna be the kinda drive the 840's gonna be competing against, at least until other manufacturers close the gap with the 840 Pro WHILE proving they're just as reliable as Samsung drives have been. The Vector 4 accomplished the first but OCZ's going down in flames. Stuff like the Plextor M5 series is nearly as expensive as the 840 Pro but can't match it, a slight price drop on the M5S could possibly make it more attractive than the 840 tho.

Until one of those scenarios, the 840's a decent buy if you're getting it at the same price as the M4 or 830 before the clearance sales (i.e. $100/200 for 128/256GB), tho I'm betting it'll drop further thru the year. It doesn't really HAVE to in order to be competitive tho, it's being positioned as a direct 830 replacement. If you want the best you pay the 840 Pro premium. There's always Sandforce drives if you feel like rolling the dice. 830's still easily one of the best choices if you catch a sale tho.

Crucial sure is taking their sweet time in refreshing the M4, considering how long it's been out. Did their firmware team go on vacation or something? There's already some newer Marvell controllers to work with.

Last edited:
I`m doing that with 1 at least... good`ol G2 replacement.

It's noticeably snappier!

Are you running your new Samsung 830 on older SATA II/3Gbs? And if the answer is "yes", is the speed difference really that noticeable? I'm still running an Intel g2 ssd on my i7 860 Lynnfield system. I plan on picking up a newer ssd primarily for the capacity increase, but since my current mobo only supports the older SATA interface, I'm expecting a lot of performance to be left on the table till I upgrade cpu/mobo in 2013.

Are you running your new Samsung 830 on older SATA II/3Gbs? And if the answer is "yes", is the speed difference really that noticeable? I'm still running an Intel g2 ssd on my i7 860 Lynnfield system. I plan on picking up a newer ssd primarily for the capacity increase, but since my current mobo only supports the older SATA interface, I'm expecting a lot of performance to be left on the table till I upgrade cpu/mobo in 2013.

The MOBO SATA connections don't let me operate at full performance in regards to sustained transfer rates... however the snappyness, and improved performance I notice is the access/seek time not the transfer rate. HOWEVER, Both are faster than the G2 on mobo SATA, but the access/seek is (in my opinion) greatly noticeable.

I've been on G2s since 2010, and even the new drive in my MBAIR is noticeably snappier than the G2, and Intel 510 in my MBP. I couldn't tell the difference between my Intel 510, Intel G2, Crucial M4... Samsung 840 PRO, OEM SSD in my MBAIR, 830 = noticeably snappier, and higher transfer rate even on MOBO.

There's a couple threads in SSD/HD forum here where I talk about SSDs, Controllers, and a new one where I talk about a $200 controller on NewEgg's site to run the SSD @ TOP performance! I suggest checking them out. (I`m researching that currently inthat thread).

-Todd

Doesn't seem very hot to me. I think the 840s will be down to similar price in a few months.

Doesn't seem very hot to me. I think the 840s will be down to similar price in a few months.

Except if a 830 and 840 were the same price and capacity most people I think would pick the 830 based on current information. Even more so I would think for smaller capacity drives where write performance and endurance is of greater importance.

Except if a 830 and 840 were the same price and capacity most people I think would pick the 830 based on current information. Even more so I would think for smaller capacity drives where write performance and endurance is of greater importance.

Didn't know that new 840 was inferior.

Wow, the older 830 256Gb just destroys the newer 840 and a lot of other competitors SSDs there.

It would appear that I bought one too many Samsung 830s in 256GB capacity. I have an extra one BNIB that I'll let go of for $180.

Back