Samsung 830 256GB SSD - $350 Shipped

I got the 64gb capacity of these drives. And wow, there retardedly fast. And Apparently the Higher Capacity drives Write speeds are doubled. I'll post some benchmarks here in a second.

830ssdtune.png

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v164/Dio69/830ssdtune.png

Last edited:
I was going to bite on the Crucial M4 512 GB version on my next payday. Are the Samsung's noticeably faster in any way or are they both to fast to notice when compared to my current 5400 RPM drive?

If Samsung's cutting their prices, now I have another choice! Thanks for the heads up on the deal. :)

Samsung and M4 are roughly comparable. M4's been on the market longer with a reliable track record, but Samsung has built a great name for itself for reliability with the 470 series and so far with the 830 series, so I'd buy with confidence. Samsung's SSD's are built entirely of Samsung components, and uses a custom Samsung controller, which makes me sleep easier at night.

Thanks for the heads up on this. I was just waiting until it came down below 350 :D

I bought one of these 256 GB Samsung 830's for my laptop a couple weeks ago to replace my fucked up Intel 320 300 GB SSD. My Intel drive got hit with the 8 MB bug twice. The 2nd time was less than a month after applying latest firmware that was supposed to fix the 8 MB bug. I had lost faith in the Intel drive and decided to buy the Samsung and then I'll sell the drive I will get from my RMA that I still need to call Intel about.

The Samsung 830 SSD is an awesome drive and super fast. Seems to be noticeably quicker than the Intel 320 it replaced. The SSD tools available from Samsung seem a lot better than Intels, but they both do the same stuff really. The Samsung tools offer benchmarks and stuff of that nature if you are into that. I am hoping that the reliability of the drive will be better than the Intel 320 series. For the price NewEgg is selling the 256GB flavor of this drive, it's a great deal. I almost want to buy a 2nd one for my desktop.

Looks like ETA of Friday (1/6) before it's restocked. I'm debating if I can stomach the $350 vs. the $210 for the 128GB version. Then again, if I keep this drive for over 2 years, that $140 premium is basically nothing.

PS - the 128GB version is also currently out of stock haha.

Stupid question, but does it work fine with Sata 3gb/s?

Stupid question, but does it work fine with Sata 3gb/s?
It will work just fine. However, it will NOT be as fast as you see in the reviews unless you hook it up to a 6gbps sata port :cool:
Should still get a good 250-280MB/s out of it though, along with access times faster then you can blink :D

Thanks OP - was waiting for the price to drop on the 256gb ones.

I am very annoyed with newegg right now. These were OOS like a day and a half after the sale started so they couldn't have had many to start with, then they put an ETA of last Friday 1/6 and then of course it was changed to today. Low and behold I go and look today and the ETA has been taken down and it is still OOS. Live chatted with a customer rep. that was about as useless as tits on a bull who promptly told me to use the auto-notify feature and completely ignored my questions.

I have been buying from them for about 8 years now, but I have seen this happen more and more lately. Talk about frustrating. Oh and to top it off, if you go to their SSD page they added, just today, fancy ads toting their samsung 830 series most of which are OOS. :rolleyes:

It's been about 4 hours since your post, but it's now in-stock again :)

LOL yeah I know. I just ordered one. I was so pissed because I was going back and forth about getting one during the first days of the sale, and when I finally did decide to pull the trigger they all went out of stock. Then the ETA's being pushed back was disappointing me and the customer rep. was the icing on the cake.

So yeah. All is good now. I would say anyone thinking about one of these should pull the trigger asap as they are out of stock almost everywhere I checked and the few that have it want over 400 for them.

Get 'em while their hot!

they hada sale like this last month guys. just keep your eyes open for the next round and you'll get the deal.

Back