Samsung 830 256GB for $168 FS - BuyDig

I was waiting for an 830 in this price range, but now I want to wait for a 512gb deal.

Shows "Not available" for me; I might have to pick up the 128gb amazon has right now for $89.50 instead.

Shows "Not available" for me; I might have to pick up the 128gb amazon has right now for $89.50 instead.

Looks like it's sold out now (256gb). It was tempting, but I have a 120gb hdd now. The 120b barely gets me by, so I need at least a 256gb. I'm thinking I should just get a 512gb so I'm not in another situation anytime soon like I am with my 120gb now.

I've seen deals posted from them a couple of times on slickdeals, so I guess they are legit.

I have purchased from buydig multiple times. Nothing bad to say just another etailer.

I got my 256GB months back with their facebook coupon for $215 (normally $250+ at the time) from them. Everything worked out good for me.

Not available, everyone's probably starting to clear out the 830s...

I've been debating whether to just get a second 128GB... Realistically I'd just want more space to hold more games at a time, moving them off when I'm not playing them often isn't hard with Steam Mover. A 256GB would be slightly more convenient but I'm not sure what I'd do with the 128GB then, probably just leave it in regardless.

its worth noting the newly released (to retail I dunno) 840 is supposed to almost double the iops of the 830

its worth noting the newly released (to retail I dunno) 840 is supposed to almost double the iops of the 830

I agree. Some will say the price difference wouldn't be worth the negligible performance difference. But i'm waiting for the 840s, as I've said before, very excited for them.

having just bought an 830 for my macbook pro and as a heavy multi-tasker I know why we are both very excited for the 840.

my haswell build will be based on the 840 or whatever comes out when haswell drops, maybe the 850

to potential buyers of the 830, it's a no brainer, especially if you're a mac user

having just bought an 830 for my macbook pro and as a heavy multi-tasker I know why we are both very excited for the 840.

my haswell build will be based on the 840 or whatever comes out when haswell drops, maybe the 850

to potential buyers of the 830, it's a no brainer, especially if you're a mac user

lol

I gotta say I have a Samsung 830 in 128GB and 256GB. I would buy the same thing again in a 830 vs 840. Now if it was an 840 Pro then that is somewhat different . I think the performance of the 840 Pro is very tempting, but the price difference and the fact that the 830 has been reliable for awhile would probably still have me pickup the 830. In 6 to 8 months if the 840 Pro has the same track record as the 830, I would put more consideration into it as by that time the price on them will have come down. I find it hard to do better than the 830 128GB at $80 and the 256GB .at $170. That's the prices that I paid and what they are going for from time to time.

I gotta say I have a Samsung 830 in 128GB and 256GB. I would buy the same thing again in a 830 vs 840. Now if it was an 840 Pro then that is somewhat different . I think the performance of the 840 Pro is very tempting, but the price difference and the fact that the 830 has been reliable for awhile would probably still have me pickup the 830. In 6 to 8 months if the 840 Pro has the same track record as the 830, I would put more consideration into it as by that time the price on them will have come down. I find it hard to do better than the 830 128GB at $80 and the 256GB .at $170. That's the prices that I paid and what they are going for from time to time.

I agree. I picked up a 64GB 830 back in January and it's been rock solid since then. Although I paid $110 for it then, grumble. :D

The 470 was just as reliable, I probably wouldn't have mayor qualms going 840 Pro over 830 unless the premium's more than like $30 (probably will be, specially 840 Pro at launch vs 830 during deals)... I agree about the vanilla 840 tho, it's more of a side grade and technically speaking the NAND on it isn't gonna last as long... Not worth any kind of price premium over the 830.

The 840's gonna be cheaper for Samsung to produce in the long run, only reason it's replacing the 830.

It's this kind of thing that scares me about buying my first SSD. I keep thinking that whatever I buy will either be half the price next month or be replaced by something twice as fast next month. And I keep getting proven right.

It's this kind of thing that scares me about buying my first SSD. I keep thinking that whatever I buy will either be half the price next month or be replaced by something twice as fast next month. And I keep getting proven right.

Just buy one. In real world use the difference between the 830 and 840 is imperceptible. The different between them and a hard drive though is extremely noticeable. Going ssd has been by far my favorite upgrade I have ever done. I have like 4 ssd's. I needed one for each machine lol. Way better than buying a core i7 extreme when the 3770k and an ssd serves me better.

Yeah, real world use you might notice the difference between current stuff and second gen stuff like the old X25-M but beyond that none of the in performance are as large as benchmarks make them seem... Unless you're dealing with database type stuff or huge sequential transfers (on which current drives nearly hit the interface cap) on a constant basis you'd never be able to tell apart an 840 Pro from an 830 or even from a Vertex 2.

Price cuts haven't been that sharp or that sudden either, deals start popping up and gradually over the course of a few months they become the norm. Just catch one and avoid paying full retail for a good reliable drive that meets your needs and you'll be very happy. Doesn't need to be huge to hold your OS, and that's where it has the biggest impact (multi tasking etc.). Faster level loads with games on a SSD are fine, but they aren't like night and day and some games might not even benefit much.

I bought an 80GB X25-M for $220 when they came out, years ago (and right before everyone proceeded to price gouge on them and sell them for nearly $80 more for months on end). Bought a 40GB X25-V for $120 a few months after that (netbook), and replaced the 80GB X25-M with a 120GB 830 last November ($190 or $200 but it came with Batman AC which I was gonna spend at least $30 on). Haven't regretted any of them despite obvious price drops that followed in the years since.

Right now you can get 256GB for what 120GB drives cost last year (on average, slower ones were closer to $140 and faster ones closer to $200). That's large enough for the vast majority, no sense in waiting IMO (except maybe for Black Friday, lots of SSD BF deals last year).

Last edited:
I keep thinking that whatever I buy will either be half the price next month or be replaced by something twice as fast next month. And I keep getting proven right.

Welcome to technology!!!

Going ssd has been by far my favorite upgrade I have ever done. I have like 4 ssd's.

I am on my 3rd and thanks to falling prices, probably going to be in every box I have. It is quickly becoming a cheap upgrade yielding the biggest returns. Will my 830 be slower than the next generation? Probably. But while you wait, you are missing out on the awesome ssd brings.

You are wrong. What ever you buy will replaced by something twice as fast AND half the price!

One day we'll all look at this thread...sitting there with our $50 5TB whatever it is and think how crappy SSD was!

i meant the 840 pro, things look awesome from what i have seen

Back