Samsung 830 256GB - $162 w/ FS @ B&H Photo

Safety

Limp Gawd
From Slickdeals:

B&H Photo

$162.36 with free shipping (Tax in NY :()

Going by recent reviews of the Samsung 840 and 840 Pro, the 830 soundly beats the plain 840. So, not unless you're dead set on paying the 30% premium for the 840 Pro's superior performance, I would try and snag a good deal on the 830 within the next few months (Black Friday is just around the corner).

In for one, thanks. Too bad they're so damn far away. It'll be at least a week and a half before it shows up. At least I didn't have to pay tax. :D

just waiting for it to hit 150 mark :)

I was waiting for that threshold as well, but with the 840 and 840 Pro coming out soon I'm a little concerned that the 830 will drop off the face of the planet like the 470 did not too long ago. $12 higher was close enough for me.

Last edited:
How good of a deal is this, and would it be a lot faster than my X25-m G2?

I haven't paid attention to SSDs for years but was thinking of betting a 512gb to use as a game drive. Guess I could raid these instead.

I think the 830 and the vanilla 840 are pretty closely matched.

AnandTech 2011

Heavy workload:

830: 231
840: 214

Light workload:

830: 301
840: 335

The 830 is 10% faster in the heavy workload but the 840 is 10% faster in the light workload. They're pretty evenly matched IMO, but either way this is a great deal and thanks for posting it OP.

How good of a deal is this, and would it be a lot faster than my X25-m G2?

I haven't paid attention to SSDs for years but was thinking of betting a 512gb to use as a game drive. Guess I could raid these instead.

Statistically they are a LOT faster but real-world people I've read reviews from (on here) said they couldn't tell the difference.

Looking forward to seeing prices drop on these even more over the next few months before the holidays. Hoping to grab a 256GB something for my little brother for XMas to hold him off till a Haswell mainboard + cpu upgrade.

Kinda surprised these haven't hit $150 yet. Waiting for that price point as well.

Statistically they are a LOT faster but real-world people I've read reviews from (on here) said they couldn't tell the difference.

The 830's significantly faster sequential write speed would be noticeable during installs hibernate, and any large or continuous write operation... Under normal usage you'd have to hammer them pretty hard with heavy multitasking scenarios to notice. The gap between a HDD and any post-X25-M SSD is still a chasm compared to the difference between any two SSD.

Also, damn SD... For $160 I would've bit if I caught it in stock. Though I think if i find one for <$80 I'll just get a second 128GB to hold a few more games, probably won't even RAID it since the P67 doesn'tsupport TRIM over RAID (thanks Intel...). 256GB wouldn't hold every last game anyway, nor do I need that.

Such a good deal for people living outside of CA. damn you tax!

Okay, okay, fine...at $160 with no tax and FS, I'll bite on the Newegg deal. :p

Please link... I only see $169.99 and $10 MIR... is that what you meant??

EDIT... NM, I'm a dumbass... $10 promo code, NOT MIR... :p

I bought this drive on the last newegg deal. Awesome drive at this price. Noticeably faster then the Intel 160GB it replaced in my laptop. I bought it to push out my Intel 160GB to my mothers laptop since she was running an old 5400rpm Seagate. She is running WinXP with 1GB Ram, her laptop now runs like a new laptop. SSD's FTW.

Yup...I couldn't resist this time and I was too lazy to go down to BnH :p

I bit as well. I wont be using Win8 as my normal OS but as I'll need to support it I'll have an install on one of these sitting by just in case.

I've sooooo gotta stop spending money now.......

Good deal. No Sales Tax from BnH, but Newegg charges sales tax for CA. Was holding out for a 512Gb but I think this will hold me over for a while.

Blah, missed a deal on it, AGAIN! Just as well, I think a second 128GB's probably enough for my needs and I'm saving for new portable headphones... Now if I could only find a hot deal on the 128GB...

Back