Samsung 830 256GB $155 & 128GB $70 @ Amazon

I bit on the 256gb, my previous 256gb order from B&H deal is back ordered and no idea when it will ship.

Slickdeals is all over this so it will likely go OOS again. Get them while you still can!

Good deal if amazon doesn't charge you tax. Not particularly hot for me since newegg and BH don't charge me tax but amazon does. Still waiting for another 512gb deal.

I want 2 of those 256GB drives, but I just bought 2 of the Kingston HyperX 3K SSD's (120GB versions) recently.

Thanks OP! I have a 256GB 830 already but it is filling fast with games on top of the OS duties. I just bought the 128 for OS, apps, etc. so the 256 is all games, all the time. Piggy back the 1TB F3 for all ripping and various other data dump functions and I think I should be set for another 3 months :D

I'm going to be building a new rig in December/January, can't decide if I should jump on this now or wait and see what the holiday season has to offer.

Bought 2 of the 128GB ones right away this morning when I saw it, decided to get a 3rd to replace my 160GB intel in my gaming rig. Now going to have to refuse delivery/return the 128GB Plextors I ordered off the lightning deal yesterday...

If I were one of those folks waiting for this drive to hit $150 before they buy, I'd probably be buying right now. I was just waiting for the drive to hit $160, so the B&H deal was good enough for me. Wish I had waited a little bit. Slow amazon shipping from CA beats slow B&H shipping from NY.

Hot as fuck, finally managed to grab one of these ssd deals. Had to order over my phone at work.

I bit on the 128. I wanted to do the 256 (I could have) but it wouldn't have actually have helped. My steam folder is over 300gb now, so I still wouldn't have enough space to install all of my games on the ssd so I went ahead and ordered the 128. I had been holding out for black Friday, but I get the feeling that all of their inventory will be cleared out before then.

I'm going to be building a new rig in December/January, can't decide if I should jump on this now or wait and see what the holiday season has to offer.

I'm in the same boat as you. I'd probably wait because prices can only go down (given that the current trends continue).

I'm in the same boat as you. I'd probably wait because prices can only go down (given that the current trends continue).
I used to have the same type of dilemmas. How much will you save waiting a few months... $10 maybe?

This is hot, little reason not to bite.

Hmm, $5 less than the Newegg deal, but would be about $13 in tax for me.

Glad I went with the Newegg one. Should arrive today. :D

Well damn...I would have gladly spent the extra $20 for 2 of these Samsungs over the 2 Kingston HyperXs that I bought the other day. Oh well, it's not like the Kingstons are crappy drives or anything.

Thanks, finally got a 128GB. I hope it lives up to what people on this forum are always saying about SSD's.

Just got the 256gb for my Lenovo X120e. $167.XX after Texas taxes. I hope I notice a big improvement in speed over the 250gb 5400 rpm that's in there.

Trying to decide if I want to get one of these to put into my 2007 era ultra-portable and stick with it a little longer or to just bite the bullet and spend the grand to upgrade to the ultrabook I want. Leaning towards a cyber Monday utrabook purchase...

Just got the 256gb for my Lenovo X120e. $167.XX after Texas taxes. I hope I notice a big improvement in speed over the 250gb 5400 rpm that's in there.

Trying to decide if I want to get one of these to put into my 2007 era ultra-portable and stick with it a little longer or to just bite the bullet and spend the grand to upgrade to the ultrabook I want. Leaning towards a cyber Monday utrabook purchase...

I threw a 64gb M4 (so not the OP's drive but the concept is the same) into a 4 year old HP Core 2 Duo laptop with 2gigs of ram replacing the 250gig 5400 rpm drive and it was basically a new laptop. Given, I didn't have nearly as much room but all I did was work from the server and the cloud anyway. In my case, it was a more dramatic improvement than the upgrade in my desktop.

bought the 256 from newegg @ 160 before, shows up today. great prices.
I got mine yesterday and it's been an amazing drive too; also made Windows boot up faster(yes...I actually timed it) after taking games off of the system SSD.

I used to have the same type of dilemmas. How much will you save waiting a few months... $10 maybe?

This is hot, little reason not to bite.

Well if you're gonna build the rest of your system January 2013/December 2012 then why have a SSD sitting around when it's almost guaranteed you can get one go the same price or less at the time you build?

Well if you're gonna build the rest of your system January 2013/December 2012 then why have a SSD sitting around when it's almost guaranteed you can get one go the same price or less at the time you build?

I think the diliemma is that these Samsung 830 drives are known to be extremely fast and reliable drives, and with the 840 being released (at a higher price), the inventory of cheap, fast, and reliable drives will be sold out before that time frame to make way for the new wave of drives that may or may not be as fast, reliable, or inexpensive.

I think the diliemma is that these Samsung 830 drives are known to be extremely fast and reliable drives, and with the 840 being released (at a higher price), the inventory of cheap, fast, and reliable drives will be sold out before that time frame to make way for the new wave of drives that may or may not be as fast, reliable, or inexpensive.

Agreed. And based on benchmarks of the 840 it doesn't seem super worthwhile for the extra cost.

If you want a 830 I'd get one now.

Just remember, if you're getting a SSD for gaming, a slightly faster one will barely decrease your load times. Waiting another second isn't that bad.

I snagged one of the 256gb ones. My 128gb Corsair M4 is great, but holy shit does it suck constantly uninstalling games when I want to play something else.

Current prices are up to...

256GB - 185.99
128GB - 100.79

Those nifty prices didn't last long...I've been watching the prices climb all day. I need a 128GB, if someone sees even a remotely decent deal out there...shoot me a PM.

Best,

LC

Last edited by a moderator:
I wanted 6 but amazon limited me to three of the 128GB drives. I was going to order another 3 using a different account but by that point they were already up to $100 so I only ordered one more. Four of these in raid0 for CacheCade Pro 2.0 should make things fun.

I threw a 64gb M4 (so not the OP's drive but the concept is the same) into a 4 year old HP Core 2 Duo laptop with 2gigs of ram replacing the 250gig 5400 rpm drive and it was basically a new laptop. Given, I didn't have nearly as much room but all I did was work from the server and the cloud anyway. In my case, it was a more dramatic improvement than the upgrade in my desktop.

That's good to know. Actually I bought an 80(I think it's 80) Intel drive about a year and a half ago for my old Pentium 4 3GHz system and it truly brought it back to life. I'm excited to see how this drive will perform in the Lenovo X120e. Bought it off of Craigslist for $240 this week, fast system with the AMD E350 dual core, plays 1080p HD video with no stutter....anyway, like I said, excited to see how this drive performs hence it costs more than half of what I paid for the laptop. :)

Anyway kicking myself for impulse spending $407 on a computer I never expected to purchase but I feel this is a damn good replacement for my old laptop that was destroyed. :p

Edit: price is up to:

Price: $185.98 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping. Details

Kinda feel a bit better now :)

Last edited:
Kind of regret not jumping on the 256 earlier today; but the fact is the price will be back down to this level, if not lower, again in the next week or two. Besides, the cheap ass part of me is still irritated with Amazon charging tax in CA. :p

Just got my drive today from Newegg. Odd thing I noticed, on the outside packaging there is one of those round, clear stickers that they use to seal the box, but it says "Warranty Void if Removed" on it. So, uhh...how are you supposed to open the box without voiding the warranty? Lol.

Seems a little silly.

Back