Samsung 4TB 850 EVO - $1499.99

Axdrenalin

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - Nov. 2009
Unfortunately, it's already on backorder. Didn't realize that 4TB SSD's were going to be available this soon. I guess it's [H]ot if you've got the available funds and want the highest capacity SSD.

Samsung 850 EVO

Pretty cheap considering I still remember the days of $1,000 80gb ssds :D If only I had the cash to blow :(

Why would you get one of these (assuming for use in a desktop / space to mount 4 drives is not an issue, in which case the benefit is obvious) when you can get 4 1TB SSDs and put them in RAID 0 for better performance at ~1/2 the cost or less?

I understand it's new and the data density is a big deal, but the price premium seems out of whack.

Why would you get one of these (assuming for use in a desktop / space to mount 4 drives is not an issue, in which case the benefit is obvious) when you can get 4 1TB SSDs and put them in RAID 0 for better performance at ~1/2 the cost or less?

I understand it's new and the data density is a big deal, but the price premium seems out of whack.

Like everything else in tech, you pay a premium as you go up the scale. RAID 0 quadruples the chance for failure, at least in theory and isn't as simple as a single drive.

When these 4TB babies hit the $400 or less mark, I'll get one to take over games/data drive duty that my 1TB currently serves. Probably still a couple/few years off, though...

Pretty cheap considering I still remember the days of $1,000 80gb ssds :D If only I had the cash to blow :(

I remember the days of $15000+ 5.25" 100MB solid state drives advertised in the 600 page giant Computer Shopper tomes way way back.

Computerworld

Last edited:
With Optane on the horizon, will wait to see if it really is all that.

My standard server at work has only 8 drive slots. Two are RAID 1 for the OS. 5 are a RAID 5 array and the last one is a hot spare for either array. 5 drives in RAID 5 gives me about 15 TB of space with this. This is about right for the database I'm using. The price is actually good, considering the speed increase improves productivity.

Raid also increase the access time, something that is generally more relevant in day to day usage than 500MB/s read/write vs 1-2GB/s read/write.

Didn't realize that 4TB SSD's were going to be available this soon.

The 4TB SanDisk has been out for some time now sooo....I mean, we are getting close to their scheduled release of 6TB and 8TB drives, as they were slated to come out the end of this year, and 16TB sometime in 2017...All aimed at workstation or server, based on the price these will carry, just like the EVO.

You can buy 16TB SSDs for servers today:
Samsung PM1633a MZILS15THMLS - solid state drive - 15.36 TB - SAS 12Gb/s - MZILS15THMLS-00003 - Solid State Drives (SSDs) - CDW.com

Similar model as the 4TB versions sold directly from Dell which has been available for at least a few months now.

Larger storage vendors also starting to look at these cheaper solutions for their all flash arrays. I know Netapp already mentioned their AFF's would be available with the 16TB SSDs.. just don't know of the time frame. The cool part of WAFL with this is a full tray of these, and you could be writing/reading as fast as the array would let you for 3 years, and never run into issues with write endurance on the drives. At least that's what the Netapp sales people told us.. lol.

You can buy 16TB SSDs for servers today:
Samsung PM1633a MZILS15THMLS - solid state drive - 15.36 TB - SAS 12Gb/s - MZILS15THMLS-00003 - Solid State Drives (SSDs) - CDW.com

Similar model as the 4TB versions sold directly from Dell which has been available for at least a few months now.

Larger storage vendors also starting to look at these cheaper solutions for their all flash arrays. I know Netapp already mentioned their AFF's would be available with the 16TB SSDs.. just don't know of the time frame. The cool part of WAFL with this is a full tray of these, and you could be writing/reading as fast as the array would let you for 3 years, and never run into issues with write endurance on the drives. At least that's what the Netapp sales people told us.. lol.

I can get a AFF array with the 15.2 tb drives now... screw netapp though only buy PURE when it comes to flash arrays.

Nice. Anyone know of NVMe drives over 1 TB?

??? There are many, you need to just look on sites like NewEgg.
Intel 750
intel has some new/cheaper ones too
Intel p3700
Intel p3600
Intel p3500
Toshiba xg3
Samsung SM961
OCZ o-who-chares

??? There are many, you need to just look on sites like NewEgg.
Intel 750
intel has some new/cheaper ones too
Intel p3700
Intel p3600
Intel p3500
Toshiba xg3
Samsung SM961
OCZ o-who-chares

heatlesssun was probably meaning M.2 form factor NVMe drives at >1TB

Back