Samsung 4k tv Mu6300 blurry at 1080p

dharnasis

n00b
My Pc stays connected to the living room tv and we recently went for a tv upgrade to the Samsung 6300 4k. Was on sale, good price, and I figured everything would upscale nicely and maybe we'd even watch some 4k Netflix. Had no intention to try 4k gaming (only running a 970). Everything looks great and I'm really happy, except for the PC. When setting it to 1080p resolution everything looks hazy or slightly blurry. It's not TERRIBLE but it's certainly fairly worse than the old 1080 panel we were using. Now of course I can set windows to 4k and it looks great but I still have to run games at 1080p and they really strain my eyes due to the haziness.

To be clear, I'm not trying to make 1080p look 4k. I just want it to not be considerably worse than native 1080. Anyone else using this panel in 1080? Am I missing a setting or is this just the nature of the upscaling beast?

My Pc stays connected to the living room tv and we recently went for a tv upgrade to the Samsung 6300 4k. Was on sale, good price, and I figured everything would upscale nicely and maybe we'd even watch some 4k Netflix. Had no intention to try 4k gaming (only running a 970). Everything looks great and I'm really happy, except for the PC. When setting it to 1080p resolution everything looks hazy or slightly blurry. It's not TERRIBLE but it's certainly fairly worse than the old 1080 panel we were using. Now of course I can set windows to 4k and it looks great but I still have to run games at 1080p and they really strain my eyes due to the haziness.

To be clear, I'm not trying to make 1080p look 4k. I just want it to not be considerably worse than native 1080. Anyone else using this panel in 1080? Am I missing a setting or is this just the nature of the upscaling beast?
Thats generally how upscaling just looks. Its not the TV (though make sure the TV setting for sharpness is turned to 0).

Also you should have it set to 4k for desktop etc use, then change res in game. You can also add 1800P (3200x1800) using custom resolution tool, which the 970 can handle and is fairly close to 4K, for gaming.

Thats generally how upscaling just looks. Its not the TV (though make sure the TV setting for sharpness is turned to 0).

Also you should have it set to 4k for desktop etc use, then change res in game. You can also add 1800P (3200x1800) using custom resolution tool, which the 970 can handle and is fairly close to 4K, for gaming.
Man that's a bummer. And I know I said that it's not TERRIBLE but after gaming for about an hour on it I went back and hooked up the old Sony 1080 panel. Holy cow, big difference. It almost feels like the difference between SD and HD. The old 1080 panel so much better in regards to the PC display.

When I set sharpness to 0 the display is pretty pixely, especially for text. Not sure if it's more or less tolerable than the blur.

Have any idea why the tv does so well at upscaling bluray and Netflix 1080 content but so poorly at PC upscaling? And I've done about 5 hours of research on this and I'm not seeing tons of console players complaining about degradation of their 1080 games when hooked up to 4k. Is their something inherently easier about upscaling that stuff than PC displays?

Consoles and other devices have better upscaling then PC.

Also if your text doesn't look right it's because you don't have 4:4:4 chroma setup. 0 sharpness for any display with HDMI gives the sharpest look with no fringing or haloing. Make sure your Nvidia settings are set to 4k/60Hz/4:4:4 (can't do that with HDR on, it's an HDMI bandwidth limitation) and you have HDMI UHD color turned on.

Digitalfoundry has a video series called 4k gaming on a budget where they show how you can play games at 4k or near 4k (1800p) with a GTX 970.

Consoles and other devices have better upscaling then PC.

Also if your text doesn't look right it's because you don't have 4:4:4 chroma setup. 0 sharpness for any display with HDMI gives the sharpest look with no fringing or haloing. Make sure your Nvidia settings are set to 4k/60Hz/4:4:4 (can't do that with HDR on, it's an HDMI bandwidth limitation) and you have HDMI UHD color turned on.

Digitalfoundry has a video series called 4k gaming on a budget where they show how you can play games at 4k or near 4k (1800p) with a GTX 970.
Hey Cecil, just to be clear (no pun intended) I'm specifically talking about blurriness when using the PCs 1080 resolution on the 4k tv. Not when using 4k resolution. I'll check into the Digitalfoundry video series although to be honest I was never intending to try 4k gaming. Thanks for the info!

Hey Cecil, just to be clear (no pun intended) I'm specifically talking about blurriness when using the PCs 1080 resolution on the 4k tv. Not when using 4k resolution. I'll check into the Digitalfoundry video series although to be honest I was never intending to try 4k gaming. Thanks for the info!
I know. I'm saying there is no reason to use 1080P though. On desktop you certainly should use 4K, and for gaming you can use custom resolution that is higher then 1080P but not as high as 4K for more demanding games, or use 4K on less demanding games (or even just turn down some settings, and turn off AA).

I have the KU6290 model and took some macro shots of the pixel structure when upscaling 1920 to the native 3840. Here's a comparison of two adjacent black pixels scaled with the GPU (default scaling with nvidia card) and using the TV:

TVvGPUscaling_heuchkd896.jpg

There's been a thread on nvidia's GeForce driver forum for over two years asking for non-interpolated scaling of integer multiple resolutions, but it's been resoundingly ignored by nvidia. Ideally, each pixel in a 1080 image would take up 4 pixels when scaled to 4k, but nvidia apparently doesn't care. The TV does a slightly better job, but it's still not great. The best I was able to achieve was using the TV scaling with a bit of extra sharpening applied. If you're in PC mode, the Samsung defaults to Sharpness 50, but with a bump to 67, you can get a reasonable image without too much of an over-sharpened look.

If you have an nvidia card and want to change to TV scaling, go to the nvidia control panel, choose "Adjust desktop size and position" on the left, and where it says "Perform scaling on:" choose Display.

I have no idea if AMD has something similar.

Great information Ashun and thanks for clearly demonstrating and corroborating what I was seeing. I discovered the sharpness bump helping too. My nVidia setting defaults to letting display do the scaling and I messed with it some in the beginning to see if helped but also found that the GPU scaling was inferior to the tv scaling. Would be nice if nVidia would provide the non-interpolated scaling. Thanks for taking the time to show me your findings as well!

Back