Samsung 49" Ultra Wide Crashing Issue

I've run out of what might be going on and am coming to you guys.

Since I got this monitor, which is amazing btw, random games have been doing the same exact crash. It usually happens right after the loading screen, the monitor goes black and acts like it lost signal, the computer remains on but you cannot alt tab or hit the start button - nothing responds. The fans don't kick into high gear or anything. You have to either flip the power supply off then on, or hold the power button down for 5-10 seconds to shut the computer off.

I thought I had isolated the issue to having my second 1680x1050 monitor also on, but that didn't seem to be the issue as I disabled any extra monitors in the settings and unplugged them.

Anyone ever heard of this or have a clue what might be going on? I turned the mild overclock on the cpu off and it didn't change anything.

The monitor is 3840x1080
Specs are....
16gb ram
RX580 8gb
Two fairly new solid state drives.

I'm at a loss as to what the hell is going on :(

Are you sure its not your videocard? My 49 had issues with the DP port. I wasn't sure if it was the monitor that has a bad port of a videocard issue. I was corrected when i bought a DP to mini DP connector. This might be different though because the bad connection would only happen during a cold boot. Try changing cables.

It is definitely something along those lines, I just can't seem to narrow it down.

To throw another curve ball in, if I have the fan running in the room it seems to happen more often. Ceiling fan off and it hasn't happened again.

LOL I give up

It is definitely something along those lines, I just can't seem to narrow it down.

To throw another curve ball in, if I have the fan running in the room it seems to happen more often. Ceiling fan off and it hasn't happened again.

LOL I give up

i had an asus monitor like that, swore damn near everything being turned on/off, short in my sound system, psu, including wiring in 4 different houses was the cause. it would work fine for up to 6 months then spaz out like no tomorrow for 3-4 weeks then fine again for a while.. never figured it out even after taking it apart 3-4 times, finally after 4 years i gave up and replaced it.

Well, thats a bummer to hear. I was really hoping it had something to do with this specific monitor and the unique resolution its running at for one monitor.

Well, thats a bummer to hear. I was really hoping it had something to do with this specific monitor and the unique resolution its running at for one monitor.

the only other thing i'd suggest is if you have another gpu laying around, try swapping them out and see if that could potentially be the cause.. i know there's a couple monitors out there that seemed to absolutely hate the rx580 that i've seen some customer reviews mention for different displays(not the sammy 49" specifically), worth a shot. i was actually looking at buying the monitor you have since i hate dealing with triple display setups but have seen so many mixed comments on it that i decided the price tag wasn't worth the risk :(. wish there was more competition with ultra wide displays over 34".

Back