Samsung 32" CHG70

Leykis

Limp Gawd
Anyone here own this monitor and care to share your experiences with it? I just ordered it from Costco and waiting for it to arrive. They had a nice deal on it and figured nothing to lose getting it from Costco. My only issue is that I presently have a GTX 970 card so I won't be able to take advantage of Freesync2. I guess depending how well I like using a VA panel for a computer monitor and how well this particular monitor performs will help me decide if I make the switch to a Radeon card.

Also, if anyone does have this monitor can you recommend some good settings for it? Thanks!

Where did you hear about this? I read rtings.com review of it and in their tests they show no PWM.

Wow, so the 27" doesn't have it but the 32" does and Samsung advertises that neither have it. That's deceptive. Lawsuit incoming.

Well I got this monitor today and can confirm after testing that the 32" model does indeed have PWM if brightness isn't set at 100. So what I did was just left the brightness setting at 100 and then adjusted the brightness/contrast/gamma in the nvidia control panel to my liking and it works fine without PWM.

Well I got this monitor today and can confirm after testing that the 32" model does indeed have PWM if brightness isn't set at 100. So what I did was just left the brightness setting at 100 and then adjusted the brightness/contrast/gamma in the nvidia control panel to my liking and it works fine without PWM.
Sounds like a lot of glow and BLB since the brightness is at 100, and crippled colors because of software based changes. Definitely wouldn't accept this "solution" for that kind of money it costs.

And lots of games will ignore driver color settings, which will give you the full nuclear blast anyway.

Last edited:
Sounds like a lot of glow and BLB since the brightness is at 100, and crippled colors because of software based changes. Definitely wouldn't accept this "solution" for that kind of money it costs.

And lots of games will ignore driver color settings, which will give you the full nuclear blast anyway.

VA do not have BLB. The lesser compromise would be to create a custom color profile using a hardware tool and replace default windows color profile with it. No sane person buys a VA looking for perfect color reproduction- VA horizontal gamma shift makes and discussion about gamma pointless.

meanwhile the HG70s are still among the best ULMB monitors on its price range (or any other price range) when it comes to motion blur: scanning backlights FTW.

VA do not have BLB. The lesser compromise would be to create a custom color profile using a hardware tool and replace default windows color profile with it. No sane person buys a VA looking for perfect color reproduction- VA horizontal gamma shift makes and discussion about gamma pointless.

meanwhile the HG70s are still among the best ULMB monitors on its price range (or any other price range) when it comes to motion blur: scanning backlights FTW.
They do, especially curved ones. The BLB and glow increases dramatically with the brightness setting on the CHG70 too.

I was able to adjust the color profile on my 32" and it's pretty good even at max brightness. I tend to usually play games with higher brightness settings anyways. My issue is it's not good for non-gaming use. So I'm thinking maybe I'll order the 27" version from Newegg since they have it 20% off this weekend and it doesn't use PWM.

Funny enough, I plugged my Dell back in that I've been using for the last 7 years and it uses PWM and has never given me eye issues.

I was able to adjust the color profile on my 32" and it's pretty good even at max brightness. I tend to usually play games with higher brightness settings anyways. My issue is it's not good for non-gaming use. So I'm thinking maybe I'll order the 27" version from Newegg since they have it 20% off this weekend and it doesn't use PWM.

Funny enough, I plugged my Dell back in that I've been using for the last 7 years and it uses PWM and has never given me eye issues.
The 27" tradeoff is really bad uniformity. You'll see weird patterns as if there's a dirty coating on it, if theres something greyish or a little darker stuff on the screen.

Ok, so I found out that if you set the response time on the 32" version to faster or fastest it doesn't use PWM.

From tftcentral's review:
When you change to the 'Faster' response time mode the brightness setting is disabled, and the screen is actually set to its maximum brightness output. This avoids the PWM backlight dimming we know is active when you move the brightness control below 100%, to avoid any conflicts with the on/off strobing of the backlight here for motion benefits. This also helps provide a decent luminance since the strobing system results in a drop from the default maximum luminance. So when you enable the 'faster' mode, luminance drops from the maximum 357 cd/m2 we see in the 'standard' setting (where strobing backlight is off), down to 211 cd/m2. This is a good luminance for a strobed backlight system actually, surpassing many screens we've tested in the past which are often criticised for being too dark in these blur reduction modes.

I think I may end up keeping the 32" for now. If it causes me any issues then I can always return it to Costco but I've been using a Dell for 7 years that has PWM so if that didn't cause me any issues then I doubt this set will. Plus, after watching that video on the 27" I really don't want to take a gamble ordering it through newegg.

Ok, so I found out that if you set the response time on the 32" version to faster or fastest it doesn't use PWM.

From tftcentral's review:

I think I may end up keeping the 32" for now. If it causes me any issues then I can always return it to Costco but I've been using a Dell for 7 years that has PWM so if that didn't cause me any issues then I doubt this set will. Plus, after watching that video on the 27" I really don't want to take a gamble ordering it through newegg.
It doesn't use PWM, because it strobes. So you basically start an even more aggressive PWM as it flickers 144Hz instead of the 350-360Hz PWM.

It doesn't use PWM, because it strobes. So you basically start an even more aggressive PWM as it flickers 144Hz instead of the 350-360Hz PWM.

It does not strobe.
It scans.
That is why it is brigther than strobings displays before it: only a smal part of screen is "off" at any time.
Not so wide guess: you never used a samsung scanning display at the correct settings before you decided to post your comments [H]ere.

It does not strobe.
It scans.
That is why it is brigther than strobings displays before it: only a smal part of screen is "off" at any time.
Not so wide guess: you never used a samsung scanning display at the correct settings before you decided to post your comments [H]ere.
Sure I have used. Didn't see the benefits great enough to not just use the standard response time without flickering. The locked brightness in samsung's method is dumb as well.

Back