Samsung 31.5" 4K monitor model UD970 support DVI, HDMI 2.0, Display Port

What's the overall consensus of Lg monitor in general? Because my impression is that LG fails quite frequently, compares to other brand.

what's the warranty of the above?

I think its is 3 years warranty.

I pulled out from buying it, because it will come from korea through ebay to my country.

But I will have to wait till it arrives at customs and then I will have to fill out forms and get it cleared through customs, which will probably takes 1-2 weeks. Then i will have to pay extra duty and gst tax.

So I might aswell wait for it to become available to me locally.

I'm gonna pick a LG 31MU97 up at Fry's tomorrow, my Samsung is still within return policy. If it's just as good and costs $600 less the savings would be nice :D

Personally though I prefer 16:9 over 17:9, don't like black bars while watching 16:9 video (mostly anime for me...).

It appears to be a HDMI 1.4 monitor still, which is kind of weird because LG already has had HDMI 2.0 TVs out for almost half a year...strange that a newly released monitor is still 30Hz via HDMI.

Also since its 7% more pixels than 3840x2160...I'm crossing my fingers and hoping my 15 ft. DP cable can handle it at 60Hz.

I'm gonna pick a LG 31MU97 up at Fry's tomorrow, my Samsung is still within return policy. If it's just as good and costs $600 less the savings would be nice :

Where is fry's, Is that in America?

I cant't find this LG in stock anywhere besides eBay.

EDIT: NVM, I googled fry's. And wow!, the LG is only $1399 USD over there, which equals ~$1590 AUD. That's almost $1000 less than what is set to be released as here in Australia :(

Last edited:
Where is fry's, Is that in America?

I cant't find this LG in stock anywhere besides eBay.

EDIT: NVM, I googled fry's. And wow!, the LG is only $1399 USD over there, which equals ~$1590 AUD. That's almost $1000 less than what is set to be released as here in Australia :(

It's only cheaper because Asia gets most of its oil from OPEC, which only sells in US Dollars. So Asian economies have to sell things to America cheap in order to acquire dollars. And they only sell in US dollars because Nixon in 1973 promised OPEC countries we will protect their monarchies/despots and maintain their power in exchange for backing their oil in US Dollars. This was the only way to prevent the US Dollar from imploding after Nixon took the dollar off the Gold Standard in 1971.

So...world is screwed up ain't it? Don't worry the dollar can't keep its monopoly up forever. Maybe in 200 years Australia will have cheaper prices :)

It's only cheaper because Asia gets most of its oil from OPEC, which only sells in US Dollars. So Asian economies have to sell things to America cheap in order to acquire dollars. And they only sell in US dollars because Nixon in 1973 promised OPEC countries we will protect their monarchies/despots and maintain their power in exchange for backing their oil in US Dollars. This was the only way to prevent the US Dollar from imploding after Nixon took the dollar off the Gold Standard in 1971.

So...world is screwed up ain't it? Don't worry the dollar can't keep its monopoly up forever. Maybe in 200 years Australia will have cheaper prices :)

I don't think you know how international trade work at all.

So how do I get Nixon to make Australian dollar better, so I too can get this monitor for $1499 USD.

Or can I order it from fry's, will they ship it to Australia? I dont want to pay $2.5K AUD when it can be had for much less!

Please clarify.
So how do I get Nixon to make Australian dollar better, so I too can get this monitor for $1499 USD. Or can I order it from fry's, will they ship it to Australia? I dont want to pay $2.5K AUD when it can be had for much less!

One does not need to invoke conspiracy theories to understand why prices differ. For this assume for a moment that you try to lower the prices, you establish company and bring the goodies with a goal of selling much cheaper and stil make good money in this business. Soon you will notice problems: bringing goods to a place which is in the middle of nowhere with few people living at huge distances from each other makes volumes low, transportation costs high, and costs like warranty/repairs huge. To make a living out of this you have to add bigger overhead on the manufacturer price. Next, since the overall market is small everybody has to add higher costs and competition is less intense which adds to it, perhaps some kind of hidden importing monopolies are also there . On top of all this one can add that indeed the US dollar has privileged position which drives prices lower but this is how the things are, US has been by far the biggest and stable economy for many years and only now might be overtaken by China but its economy and currency has tons of problems which have to be solved before wider international use.

That guy posting above me better watch out, a black van may pull up by his place and he may dissapear :S

Anyway's consiracy theories aside, does fry's ship overseas?

Seems like the LG uses a weaker SST scaler than the Samsung. I have no problems running 3840x2160@60Hz on a 26 awg 15 foot DP cable. But I just get a black screen on the LG while trying anything higher than 3840x2160@30Hz or 4096x2160@30Hz. Have to drop down to a 5 foot cable to make this work.

Due to higher supply and demand of HDMI cables a 24awg >15foot cable is just $15. But a 24awg DP cable is $110+

x(

Well I guess the LG is still cheaper than the Samsung, it's $600 cheaper after taxes, a big deal for only 0.5" smaller screen.

I don't think Fry ship oversea. So you should wait

You can get an "agent' to order items for you from USA to Australia, but if there is warranty issue, you are screw

One does not need to invoke your explanation in order to explain price differences. You have one theory at hand and he has another one. As long as nobody has a proof your explannation is a theory just as his is.

Except that mine is not theory but market 101.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
LG 31MU97 has bad reviews too, mostly people complaining about the aspect ratio using laptops or iMacs (or in my case, gaming, but I haven't left any reviews), the Samsung has a lot of bad reviews of grainy images. So basically people are waiting on the Benq BL3201PH and hoping its good, otherwise it's either wait until 2015 for more monitors to come out or buy a 4K HDTV, --although some don't like the PWM on TVs. I think part of the problem is a lot of these high end monitors are actually aimed at office workers which is why they have these obnoxious AG coatings whereas HDTVs have the same glossy or semi-glossy displays gamers are used to.

My wild guess is that simply other 4K monitors of 30+ size were overpriced, instead of this being cheap. If early adopters allowed themselves to be milked, why vendors shouldn't?
"Shut up and take my money" (c) Futurama

LG 31MU97 has bad reviews too, mostly people complaining about the aspect ratio using laptops or iMacs (or in my case, gaming, but I haven't left any reviews), the Samsung has a lot of bad reviews of grainy images. So basically people are waiting on the Benq BL3201PH and hoping its good, otherwise it's either wait until 2015 for more monitors to come out or buy a 4K HDTV, --although some don't like the PWM on TVs. I think part of the problem is a lot of these high end monitors are actually aimed at office workers which is why they have these obnoxious AG coatings whereas HDTVs have the same glossy or semi-glossy displays gamers are used to.

The Samsung monitor is not made for gamers. It's made for graphic artists and photographers for whom color accuracy and other aspects of image quality is most important. These professionals generally don't want a glossy screen since it heavily negatively impacts the vision of the image on the display. A glossy screen is the last monitor I would want for myself. While I haven't seen the Samsung monitor by my eyes to attest to its AG coating, I have to say I find moderate coating of displays such as Dell U2713h meeting my standards in the best way. And if I have to choose between heavy AG coating or a glossy screen, I would choose latter without hesitation.

If you are after a monitor suitable for gaming, it is probably better for you to look elsewhere.

The Samsung monitor is not made for gamers. It's made for graphic artists and photographers for whom color accuracy and other aspects of image quality is most important. These professionals generally don't want a glossy screen since it heavily negatively impacts the vision of the image on the display. A glossy screen is the last monitor I would want for myself. While I haven't seen the Samsung monitor by my eyes to attest to its AG coating, I have to say I find moderate coating of displays such as Dell U2713h meeting my standards in the best way. And if I have to choose between heavy AG coating or a glossy screen, I would choose latter without hesitation.

If you are after a monitor suitable for gaming, it is probably better for you to look elsewhere.

I actually spend most of my time just web browsing, and it's really hard to read text when all your text sparkles like a desert mirage.

how can Benq BL3201PH be so cheap? And I thought it is already available?

It's not available, B&H claimed November 10th and probably got a bunch of pre-orders over other websites by making that wild claim but as of right now their reps claim they have no idea when the monitor will be available. Also I assume the Benq is cheap because no color calibration software and not having Adobe RGB or other color gamuts baked into the panel and just having SRGB only.

Remember you can get a big 4K HDTV for under $1,000 now so its not like the panels are prohibitively expensive.

I am more concern about the humming noise from the power supply of Benq that others are talking about in another Benq large monitor (can't remember the thread or model no.)

Back