Samsung 31.5" 4K monitor model UD970 support DVI, HDMI 2.0, Display Port

Well looks like I cancelled too late with Amazon and the Samsung UD970 actually ended up shipping. Very bizarre. But one even weirder thing is 2560x1600 is the highest resolution I can select from the Nvidia control panel. I have to manually create a 3840x2160x60 resolution which works without a hitch.

However one very bizarre thing I've discovered--the framerate of games right now is about 10% lower consistently between running on a 4K TV with HDMI 2.0 versus running DP1.2 on the Sammy. I don't get it at all. BF4, Witcher 2, all the games I've got seem to run slower and I don't get it, I wonder if its the manual resolution causing this. Did you have to create a manual resolution or was 4K available on the Nvidia menu?

what is the software / hardware spec. of your PC?

what is the software / hardware spec. of your PC?

Windows 7, Intel 4770K @4.2GHz 16GB DDR3 1600, GTX 980 @1466MHz core/7600MHz memory, Intel SLC SSDs.

I might try Windows 8.1 and see if it scales any better at 4K? Windows 7 text is pretty ugly at 4K @ 150% scaling with a lot of edges and borders near text cut off, and and setting resolution at 1440p @ 100% scaling seems to produce clearer text.

The Samsung UD970 is louder than my LG 49UB8500 for sure, which is dead silent. Between 50-100% brightness it makes what sounds like either coil whine or capacitors resonating which I can hear from a sitting distance of 2-3 feet. But if I turn down the brightness to 40% or lower the sound loses about 90% of its intensity and you have to be basically within 2 inches of the screen to hear it.

I use 40% to 50%, I can't tell a difference. So even at 40% it will work for me

I'm using Win8.1 with the cable that came with the box. I intend to use these mornitor at 100% scaling and the game that I tested with works perfectly (Tropico 5 & Civ V)

I just ordered this 10ft cable since the one that came in the box is a little too short for me. Should get here by sunday so I will let you know again if I have the blank screen problem.

I saw about 4 blur lines moving across the screen w/ 1000px separation. (I make it full screen)

Is that good?

do you see those flickering that Dragon has?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Windows 7, Intel 4770K @4.2GHz 16GB DDR3 1600, GTX 980 @1466MHz core/7600MHz memory, Intel SLC SSDs.

I might try Windows 8.1 and see if it scales any better at 4K? Windows 7 text is pretty ugly at 4K @ 150% scaling with a lot of edges and borders near text cut off, and and setting resolution at 1440p @ 100% scaling seems to produce clearer text.

I wonder if you do a screen capture, and upload it at a resolution of 3840x2160, would we be able to see these problem you mention?

R3dMIks.png

IjV4tFB.jpg

X46hxTQ.jpg

For some reason the monitor thinks its running 2560x1440 even though according to Windows I'm running 4K. Maybe I should try Windows 8.

that just firmware bug. As long as you are running at 4K on win 7, who cares what the firmware says

Mine says 3840x2160 133.3kHz 60Hz

Window 8.1 x64 w/ gtx 980 @ 100 Scaling

Last edited:
Maybe its because I'm running a 26awg 20 foot cable. I'm picking up a 24awg 16 foot cable soon.

The internal clock rate of my signal is clearly 2560x1440 because under custom resolutions I can choose the clock rate and its 2560x1440 @88.6KHz. If I Choose 3840x2160 @133KHz under the clock rate I get a blank screen. So I think 3840x2160x60 signal can fit under the clock rate of a 2560x1440 signal...or something like that. Too bad a 24awg passive DP cable costs like $125. If the connector end is HDMI its only $15. Maybe I should learn to solder my own cables lol.

Last edited:
Maybe its because I'm running a 26awg 20 foot cable. I'm picking up a 24awg 16 foot cable soon.

The internal clock rate of my signal is clearly 2560x1440 because under custom resolutions I can choose the clock rate and its 2560x1440 @88.6KHz. If I Choose 3840x2160 @133KHz under the clock rate I get a blank screen. So I think 3840x2160x60 signal can fit under the clock rate of a 2560x1440 signal...or something like that. Too bad a 24awg passive DP cable costs like $125. If the connector end is HDMI its only $15. Maybe I should learn to solder my own cables lol.

Probably since I'm using the cable that came with the monitor. Do you calibrate your monitor if so what software do you use?

Hmm just upgraded from Windows 7 to 8 then 8.1.

Interesting thing is 8.1 does not seem to support IGP Multi-monitor mode like 8 and 7 did. Used to be you could output audio through onboard HDMI and video through Displayport in 7 and 8. But even with IGP Multi-monitor mode activated in the BIOS in 8.1 the IGP no longer outputs anything. Pretty disappointing, but it seems like removing features is considered progress for Microsoft these days.

I have to run a HDMI line out from my GTX 980, so now its running in multi-monitor mode and idling at 9C higher. Bah...may have to buy a USB DAC now to reduce the load on the GPU.

As far as my issue earlier it seems to be due to the cable being too long, as I used the cable that came with the monitor and brought my PC out of the closet (to keep noise down, lol). I will need to buy pricy a low gauge cable to keep a 15+ foot run it seems.

Windows 8 scaling seems like it's basically the same as Windows 7 scaling except it just scales bigger (250% vs 150%). It still seems to screw with the cursors/menu locations with alot of games. I hope Windows 10 is a lot better.

Last edited:
Hey can anyone comment how responsive games are on this monitor @ 4K?

Is there noticeable input lagg? Is there much blurry movement etc? Thnx guys.

Can anyone with the 49UB8500 post some benchmarks or gaming impressions? I've been using a 47" LG IPS as my main for years, next to a Sony 24" HVA.

4:4:4 chroma made a huge difference with a proper cable/card, but other than that I can't see where people are getting this blur/input lag stigma from. Inputs are instantaneous in gaming, nothing like my projector where there is a discernible lag.

Hey can anyone comment how responsive games are on this monitor @ 4K?

Is there noticeable input lagg? Is there much blurry movement etc? Thnx guys.

You can overclock the panel, it comes in three response time modes: standard, faster, or fastest. It seems pretty responsive for a IPS-style panel. If you are used to IPS screens you won't notice the lag.

Changing the overdrive preset is not overclocking the monitor.

Overclocking implies you've gotten the monitor to run at a higher refresh rate.

Just for future reference, remember that what you're referring to is the overdrive.

Apologies as I was a bit confused by your phrasing, but they're not one in the same.

Just for future reference, remember that what you're referring to is the overdrive.

Apologies as I was a bit confused by your phrasing, but they're not one in the same.

I said overclock the panel I never said increase the fresh rate of the monitor. If I wanted to refer to refresh rates I would say it. Also overdrive been referred to as "overclocking the panel" by review publications for years so there's nothing controversial of my use of the term.

Can anyone with the 49UB8500 post some benchmarks or gaming impressions? I've been using a 47" LG IPS as my main for years, next to a Sony 24" HVA.

4:4:4 chroma made a huge difference with a proper cable/card, but other than that I can't see where people are getting this blur/input lag stigma from. Inputs are instantaneous in gaming, nothing like my projector where there is a discernible lag.

Well there is input lag to any monitor, most of the time it is not noticeable because it is usually very small.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/input_lag.htm

Also this guy did a short feedback on newgg.com

http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=9SIA4JH2113837

He claims it is too high MS (I am guessing he is referring to the input lag) for FPS.

I still have the S27B970D and according to TFTcentrals detailed review, that monitor has a 24ms input lagg, which is considered too high for competative gaming.

I found that monitor to be fairly good for gaming in my opinion, I played starcraft 2 on it and left 4 dead 2, but I did notice that when the Hunters move extremly fast in L4D2 it is a bit blurry and can be hard to aim and shoot th em down, other than that nothing else was blurry. If this 4K monitor is atleast as good as that then I would be happy.

Well there is input lag to any monitor, most of the time it is not noticeable because it is usually very small.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/input_lag.htm

Also this guy did a short feedback on newgg.com

http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=9SIA4JH2113837

He claims it is too high MS (I am guessing he is referring to the input lag) for FPS.

I still have the S27B970D and according to TFTcentrals detailed review, that monitor has a 24ms input lagg, which is considered too high for competative gaming.

I found that monitor to be fairly good for gaming in my opinion, I played starcraft 2 on it and left 4 dead 2, but I did notice that when the Hunters move extremly fast in L4D2 it is a bit blurry and can be hard to aim and shoot th em down, other than that nothing else was blurry. If this 4K monitor is atleast as good as that then I would be happy.

Input lag and response time are two different things. The blur you're talking about would be due to the response time.

Input lag and response time are two different things. The blur you're talking about would be due to the response time.

Yes I do know this, I do not recall saying the blur was due to the input lag. I was just stating I did notice blur but only on extremly fast motion such as that Hunter pouncing in L4D2

Here is my impression so far

Pros;
- Good packing, also came with miniDP to DP adapter.
- Material is very nice mostly metal not many plastic part.
- The cable management cover is nice touch, when installed properly you will not see the cable from the front of the monitor.
- Bezel is very thin and nice.
- Color is accurate out of the box.
- Viewing angle is good as you should expect from IPS.

Cons;
- The standis very shaky, I will replace them with ergotron arms.
- Cable that come with the LCD is very short, I think it is 6ft, considering if you need to pivot the lcd, I end up order new cables for the panel
- There is no customer service from Samsung, If you call them you will get to a call center where they just read the manual to you. Unlike my previous LCD (NEC/EIZO) when I called the representative they know what I'm talking about.
- No speaker built-in for those who cares.
- Natural Color Expert software only support single monitor if you are like me whom use multiple monitor, you have to use 3rd party calibration tools.
- Display control is not easy to navigate.

My impression is its a better screen than the LG 49UB8500 due to its faster response time...but I really wish this was 40" screen... it's nice for text and stuff but for gaming it just feels like I'm leaning forward trying to fill my field of view with the monitor xD

Here is my impression so far

Cons;
- The standis very shaky, I will replace them with ergotron arms.
- Cable that come with the LCD is very short, I think it is 6ft, considering if you need to pivot the lcd, I end up order new cables for the panel
- There is no customer service from Samsung, If you call them you will get to a call center where they just read the manual to you. Unlike my previous LCD (NEC/EIZO) when I called the representative they know what I'm talking about.
- No speaker built-in for those who cares.
- Natural Color Expert software only support single monitor if you are like me whom use multiple monitor, you have to use 3rd party calibration tools.
- Display control is not easy to navigate.

The only thing that really concerns me is the stand. Can you post a photo? Exactly how bad is the stand being shaky?

The BenQ BL3201PT has now been announced with very similar specifications. The only advantage I can see of the Samsung is that it is a wide gamut monitor (covers the Adobe RGB color space). Samsung is priced at $2000 while the BenQ is priced at the unbelievable $1000! So if wide gamut is not needed, the BenQ is a no brainer or, am I missing something here?

The BenQ BL3201PT has now been announced with very similar specifications. The only advantage I can see of the Samsung is that it is a wide gamut monitor (covers the Adobe RGB color space). Samsung is priced at $2000 while the BenQ is priced at the unbelievable $1000! So if wide gamut is not needed, the BenQ is a no brainer or, am I missing something here?

Benq seems to based on the 3200PT while the Samsung is based on the S32D850. The Benq thread is full of people complaining about a noisy power supply. Not saying the difference is worth $1000 necessarily but...in the late 2000s people were paying twice as much for Apple Cinema Displays compared to Dells for similar reasons (the old 30" Dells were noisy suckers and the 30" ACD had a external power brick). Not that I'm saying the Samsung touches the ACD for build quality or silence.

Benq seems to based on the 3200PT while the Samsung is based on the S32D850. The Benq thread is full of people complaining about a noisy power supply. Not saying the difference is worth $1000 necessarily but...in the late 2000s people were paying twice as much for Apple Cinema Displays compared to Dells for similar reasons (the old 30" Dells were noisy suckers and the 30" ACD had a external power brick). Not that I'm saying the Samsung touches the ACD for build quality or silence.

For a long time, I was considering buying a Dell monitor. I even bought a U2713H that i returned. I was reading almost any review/user feedback that I could find online. The general consensus I got from user reviews was that Dell is lacking in the quality control of their products while they had a decent consumer service and it was easy to return a defective product. A lot of people actually complaining about the noise of their Dell monitors though but there were other problems. Apple monitors were not problem-free either but I could guess, they were relatively (in comparison to some PC manufacturers such as Dell) less likely to be faulty right out of the box.

Nevertheless, there could be alternative reasons why some people insisted in buying an ACD over the less expensive monitor from another manufacturer. Brand loyalty/attachment has always been much stronger along the Apple fans. Some people also wanted an apple product for its pure aesthetic design. Also, Apple monitors have long been glossy while Dell monitors (the Ultrasharp line that I know) had AG quoting. Some people preferred a matte screen while others liked glossy.

Let's hope the new 4k BenQ doesn't suffer from similar complaints related to older products because it is a real bargain for its price tagged. Similar monitors are priced at least twice more. The 32" 4k monitor from Dell is still priced at $2500 and it has potential problem right out of the box.

The Dell has been $1699 on Amazon since the Samsung hit retail on Amazon. Also it doesn't have any special problems that any other MST monitor doesn't suffer from, i.e., Sharp IGZO or Asus 321Q

I said overclock the panel I never said increase the fresh rate of the monitor. If I wanted to refer to refresh rates I would say it. Also overdrive been referred to as "overclocking the panel" by review publications for years so there's nothing controversial of my use of the term.

Nikyo is correct, overclocking a monitor refers to changing the frequency of the clock signal on the monitor, allowing for higher refresh rates. It has nothing to do with response time or overdrive. Has changing the overdrive or response rate has never been referred to as overclocking by any reputable site / knowledgeable writer? Please provide links, if so
so I can berate them

Why is this monitor sold on ebay for an outrageously extra price of $2500-2900, when amazon or Samsung direct sell it for $1999.

Why do the ebay sellers charge an extra $500-900?

So why are they more expensive, isnt samsung somewhere in Korea? They sell it for $1999.

Sorry, I meant they shipped directly from South Korea.

So i have decided to buy the LG 31MU97 mainly because it is cheaper and has 5ms response:

http://m.ebay.com.au/itm/321557621152?cmd=VIDESC

What do you guys rekon?

Nice mate, I really love 17:9. Give us some impression will you? There are no information at all about 31mu97 on LG website.

Last edited:
Back