Samsung 31.5" 4K monitor model UD970 support DVI, HDMI 2.0, Display Port

I loved the design on the UD970. It had one of the best monitor designs, clean and industrial. But apparently Samsung decided to change the design to something more in line with their usual stuff. The bezel looks horrible and the feet mediocre. WHY? Was the original design too expensive?

large-52d14afe56096.jpg

Samsung-UD970-UD590-3.jpg

Samsung-U32D970Q-UHD-1.jpg

The original design lacked ergonomic freedom. I'd say they might've finally realised people actually care about that?

as long as the neck is adjustable up and down, that's good enough for me.

Having said that, it's not exactly the same model no: is UHD-U32D970Q = UD970?

here's another link, it still shows the LCD can rotate 90 deg. although I'm distracted by that last model's cleavage

http://www.pcpop.com/doc/1/1030/1030356.shtml

Last edited:
Dell UP3214Q is down to $1489.99 on Amazon.

I wonder how long it will take for the the new HDMI 2.0 capable 4K monitors like the UD970 and others coming out in August and September to drop down to that kind of price? I'd love to pick one up but $3,500 is just ridiculous for 1 monitor. And I spend most of my time playing games and watching movies sitting pretty far back so I don't wanna deal with TN color shift.

DP SST 4k@60Hz imho should be of higher priority, then HDMI 2.0 support .. simply because for now there is no gpu that supports HDMI 2.0 as well.

Dell UP3214Q is down to $1489.99 on Amazon.

I wonder how long it will take for the the new HDMI 2.0 capable 4K monitors like the UD970 and others coming out in August and September to drop down to that kind of price? I'd love to pick one up but $3,500 is just ridiculous for 1 monitor. And I spend most of my time playing games and watching movies sitting pretty far back so I don't wanna deal with TN color shift.

where's $3500 come from?

Asus is coming out with a 27" 4K IPS this fall for below $1k... if Samsung wants to compete I can't see this monitor costing any more than $1500.

but that website posting is about 8 mth. ago, when they are not aware of dell's aggressive pricing. I chat w/ manufacturer from Eizo, who is also a competitor at the 4K market, they are aware of the much lower price of Dell, but they are also aware of dell's monitor problem. So these manufacturer do check what their competitor are on pricing.

I went from a 52" Bravia on my desktop--which was like sitting in the front row at a movie theater--to a 32" Vizio 120Hz OC
to a 39" Vizio 120Hz OC
to a 27" Asus 144Hz
and finally to a 23.5" Eizo.

I can't see how any desktop monitor over 32" is practical. The 39" was too big. The 32" was just inside of acceptable, but still overpowered my desk.
24"-32" looks normal and I can see all of it without turning my neck.

I'm of the opinion Physical screen size is subjective. I found 50" a little too big but the 39" I'm currently using at home just feels perfect.

I'm waiting until 39's come out with 60Hz or 120Hz before I'll upgrade from my 39" Sekei.

39 & 52" too big .. indeed .. if resolution as for long time for anything >30" stayed just fullhd.
I find benq 32" 2560x1440 practical/perfect. I'll find 50" 4K screen same, once they'll drop prices, sort out input & refresh rate problems and start selling gpus even at reasonable price point will provide enough fps. Heard many times "too big" argument about 17", 19", 21", 24", 27", 30". Luddites just move on to next size each time as target to bash.

39 & 52" too big .. indeed .. if resolution as for long time for anything >30" stayed just fullhd.
I find benq 32" 2560x1440 practical/perfect. I'll find 50" 4K screen same, once they'll drop prices, sort out input & refresh rate problems and start selling gpus even at reasonable price point will provide enough fps. Heard many times "too big" argument about 17", 19", 21", 24", 27", 30". Luddites just move on to next size each time as target to bash.

Agreed. 50" is the perfect size for 4k, although I'd prefer a 55" so I can use the 4k screen as main and 2 27" at the sides.

According this website:

http://samsungmagazine.eu/2014/08/14/byl-vydan-expert-level-monitor-samsung-ud970-s-uhd-rozlisenim/

It will cost around

2,090,000 WON =
~ 1600 EURO =
~ 2200 AU

I think that is an excellent price for a 2nd gen premium 4K monitor when the other 1st gen premium 4K monitors came out at $3500 and most of those are still that price.

So $2,100 retail? Interesting. Wonder if its worth the $600 premium over sale price of Dell for "bug-free" 4K60.

Two important things I can't see mentioned on this thread.

1) No HDMI 2.0 (as a PC user, couldn't care less)
2) Wide gamut support and shitloads of colour presets

According this website:

http://samsungmagazine.eu/2014/08/14/byl-vydan-expert-level-monitor-samsung-ud970-s-uhd-rozlisenim/

It will cost around

2,090,000 WON =
~ 1600 EURO =
~ 2200 AU

I think that is an excellent price for a 2nd gen premium 4K monitor when the other 1st gen premium 4K monitors came out at $3500 and most of those are still that price.

But Dell UP3214Q is now at $1500. So what do we gain from $1500 to $2200? $2200 is not a bad price, but $1500 is a much better price

In Australia the Dell is still $2600. I don't know when it's going to drop here, but it should if the Samsung comes out at $2200, since the Dell is much older technology now.

I suspect since the Asus Pa328q is going to be in the $1750 range, it may be a big advantage over the Samsung UD970 if a $2000-2100 price range is correct, especially since the Asus will have Native HDMI 2.0 whereas the Samsung will not.

I really doubt the $2000 price. Samsung has been very aggressive on pricing in the TV market this year and as far as other 4K monitors from them go, they've already dropped their U28D590D (TN panel) to $550, originally it launched at $800.

Maybe it will launch at that, but I expect it to drop rather quickly if so...

I thought from the 1st link on page 1 that I post, samsung is HDMI 2.0. Refresh my memory, as there are too many review on all these, is PA328Q 1 panel or 2 panel? i.e., 1 single piece or 2 x 1920x2160?

From articles I've read it's going to be 30Hz vs HDMI but 60Hz from DP. Although after seeing some videos of the Samsung UD970 and Asus PA328Q I've changed my mind.

Looks like the PA328Q will have an internal power supply whereas the Samsung UD970 will have an external power brick. Not sure what engineer thought it was a great idea to pack the power brick internally on such a large and high powered monitor, almost guarantee you it's going to be unbearably loud with pwm/coil whine noise. At least if you get a bad external power brick you can replace it with the Samsung, but with the Asus monitor you are SOL.

An external power brick is worth an extra $300-400 cost to me, since I don't rock headphones 24/7 so a big monitor with internal power bricks = epic fail as it will increase ambient volume quite a bit at the seating position. My past experience with large monitors with internal power bricks is I couldn't stand them unless I was at least 5-6 feet away...and if I was going to do that I'd be better off with a large TV as a monitor.

This is just like back in 2008-2009 when all of the new big 1080p/1200p IPS monitors were built with internal power bricks. Apple's Cinema Displays had external bricks and that drove a lot of sales even though their monitors were $300-400 more expensive than the competition. People just couldn't stand the coil whine from the internal power supplies from big IPS monitors.

Last edited:
I never understand that design. It's obviously a step down transformer. But how come other brand name doesn't need it? I'm using HP ZR30, I have no brick. Does that mean it's inside my LCD?

does every LCD must have some form on the inside or outside? How come other electronics does have this brick design?

I never understand that design. It's obviously a step down transformer. But how come other brand name doesn't need it? I'm using HP ZR30, I have no brick. Does that mean it's inside my LCD?

does every LCD must have some form on the inside or outside? How come other electronics does have this brick design?

It's not a big deal if the monitor doesn't draw a lot of power. A lot of the large IPS monitors from 2008-2010 were routinely drawling like 200W+ and the problem is some manufacturers aren't good about insulating the windings of the power supply so it ends up turning the entire monitor into a resonating chamber. I think your HP ZR30 is only a 100W monitor so the PSU isn't significant enough to cause a lot of noise, or the coil windings are insulated/taped down well.

The 4K IGZO screens like the Dell up3214q draw up to 170W so I think I'll stick to monitors with external bricks.

So overall, clearly it's better to have the brick be exterior. Now to be slightly off topic, I have seen small 20" LCD that has an external brick. Those probably use 60W or so, why would those need an external brick?

Aren't we forgetting that primary function of monitor is to display and thus getting priorities wrong? Yes, given choice of very similar monitors by most accounts it's nice to have that external PSU, but to choose inferior monitor just because of it seems .. unwise. :)

Not necessary. Just today, I have to replace the audio jack of my headphone as it has worn out. I need to pay a guy to unsolder the old one and replace it w/ the new one. W/ the new style headphone, the entire cable is detachable and I just have to order a new cable.

Same idea for monitor, if the PSU is inside, the labor will be thru the roof

I don't see this LCD on sale in USA, neither amazon nor newegg have it. Best guess is the delay is caused by the change in the arm. any1 heard anything?

If you google it, it seems this monitor is already appearing in non-asian markets, even has reviews done, and price quoted in US and AUD. So it must be pretty soon that I see it on Australian shelves.

My money is on SST since Samsung has already released an 4K SST display so they have the tech and know how. Also usually 2 HDMI ports is a dead giveaway and since this only has 1 that is a good sign.

The official spec sheet floating around says it only supports HDMI 1.4 and not 2 like the title of this thread suggests.

they can't be that dumb. If it's a dual DP, then they are fighting w/ dell on prices. Dell is $1.9K

Back