Samsung 31.5" 4K monitor model UD970 support DVI, HDMI 2.0, Display Port

I now have the ETA of this Samsung 32" from a confidential source in the exec. branch of samsung. If you seriously need to know, you can PM me

Wasn't this at the trade show? How come no1 ask that question? Whether they are using MST and that it's 1 single tile monitor?

No idea, but a lot of times products shown off at trade shows - especially CES - are far from finalized so they may have not been comfortable sharing more detailed specs at the time... who knows.

http://lcd.zol.com.cn/445/4454234.html

according to this link, it says "3840×2160@30Hz(HDMI)/@60Hz(DisplayPort)," Which doesn't make sense? HDMI only gives 30Hz and yet Display port gives 60Hz? Samsung can't be that stupid?

and the price is at US$3.2K (see link, convert from Chinese currency to US$)

http://lcd.zol.com.cn/445/4453924_all.html#p4454234

I'm not sure I follow why doesn't it make sense? Current graphics cards do not support HDMI 2.0, so output @4K is limited to 30 Hz.

Nice find though. As long as it is a single tile monitor I will likely get this.

wait a minute, Samsung doesn't sell video card. They would have to give the spec.of their monitor, not what a current video card can do for a samsung monitor. So if their HDMI support 60Hz, they have to clearly state that, whether there is video card now or in the future that support HDMI 2.0 is video card co. problem.

In that other link (page 1), it says it support HDMI 2.0

I see what you're saying, this monitor may not be HDMI 2.0 then going by the article you just posted. Hopefully Samsung comes forward with an official spec sheet soon.

Ditto. The 1st link I post on page 1 and the 1 above conflict w/ ea. other.

by the way, just because their 28" is 1 tile, it doesn't mean their 31.5" is 1 tile, it is quite possible that they can make a 28" in 1 tile, but when it gets to 31.5", they can't make a 31.5" that big in 1 tile

Ditto. The 1st link I post on page 1 and the 1 above conflict w/ ea. other.

by the way, just because their 28" is 1 tile, it doesn't mean their 31.5" is 1 tile, it is quite possible that they can make a 28" in 1 tile, but when it gets to 31.5", they can't make a 31.5" that big in 1 tile

My understanding is that the limitation was due to crappy TCONs and not the panel itself. I would hope that newer monitors did not use dual TCONs like the Asus and Sharp models, or at least they simply present to the driver a single screen @ 60hz without having that MST vs SST shit that I have to deal with on my Asus.

My understanding is that the limitation was due to crappy TCONs and not the panel itself. I would hope that newer monitors did not use dual TCONs like the Asus and Sharp models, or at least they simply present to the driver a single screen @ 60hz without having that MST vs SST shit that I have to deal with on my Asus.

Let me ask you something, the contenders as of now, are Dell, Asus, samsung and eizo.

Now you said dell and asus is using dual TCONs

and some of you guys are hoping that samsung is using 1 panel

Now, I have some really bad experience w/ samsung 305T, and 305T+, that's their $2600, 30" screen. To make a long story short, the defects of 5 x 305T screens composed of:

1) color missing, it's like the CRT gun w/ 1 color missing, my screen, instead of the proper color, shows a dark purple / green screen

2) bezel cracks from the inside, that the heat cracks the top right / left corner of the bezel from the inside

3) zapping of the screen, and other total defect on the screen

I had post photos of those defective 305T screen, but after samsung totally refund all my $, I delete them

As this samsung thread shows (the last few pages and beyond), most of us said the service of samsung is extremely poor, they don't care about your 2+ mth. down time, and they don't treat you like a human being. In my case, the "repaired" screen that come back is totally defective.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1472671/samsung-4k-1ms-monitor-754-it-has-begun/610

So, even if samsung 31.5" is in 1 panel, I still have no faith in the quality of the screen from samsung.

Now on top of that, Samsung price won't be lower than Dell, so it boils down to:

crap quality screen from samsung, 1 panel or 2

or 2 x TCON from Dell

knowing the above, what would you choose?

it says Signal Interface : eDP (2 ch, 4 Lanes)

does that mean it's 1 TCONS or 2?

and if the cost is $1300, and Dell is going for $2200, and samsung wants the list price to be $3200, that's very deep margin

===========

on my end, I have decided to wait at least 2 to 3 mth., every brand should have review, good and bad by then

Last edited:
it says Signal Interface : eDP (2 ch, 4 Lanes)

does that mean it's 1 TCONS or 2?

and if the cost is $1300, and Dell is going for $2200, and samsung wants the list price to be $2600, that's very deep margin

===========

on my end, I have decided to wait at least 2 to 3 mth., every brand should have review, good and bad by then

I'll wait until it comes out before making a judgement on the price... also, Samsung has gotten more aggressive on the pricing side lately, they just dropped the price on all of their 2014 4K TV sets by $500.

I do prefer Dell though, mostly because they are easy to get a replacement from when it comes to warranty. Wonder if they'll be coming out with any more 4K monitors this year.

Can't wait till this monitor comes out, I was close to buying one of the 31.5" IGZO Asus or Dell 4K monitors till I heard about sammy 31.5".

Gonna wait for it so hopefully it's not too far away or a dissapointment. Shouldn't be though, I have the S27B970D and it's a gorgeous 1440p PLS monitor!

since dell and asus is 2 panels, I'll willing (but reluctantly) try out the samsung if it's in the same price range as the $2188 w/ the Dell. Samsung service is very poor, and samsung quality from my experience is extremely horrible.

But as of today's mesg. at that dell thread, there is mixed result on the A01 firmware update, some said it works, some others said the new firmware doesn't work any better.

Asus price is much higher, so there is no1 here that can tell us how bad the 2 panel is.

If samsung price is higher however, I'll definitely go w/ dell, as I don't trust their quality, I would rather put up w/ the 2 panel design w/ dell.

Samsung service is very poor, and samsung quality from my experience is extremely horrible.

If samsung price is higher however, I'll definitely go w/ dell, as I don't trust their quality, I would rather put up w/ the 2 panel design w/ dell.

Why do you say there quality is bad? I dont know what the service is like but I have a samsumg tv and there top PLS monitor, and they are absolutely stunning in quality.

Last edited:
Great questions about "where is this".

This one and the LG 31 4k.

Seems odd how quiet it got. Almost like they're going a different direction due to a panel not living up to what they wanted to power these exact models.

Great questions about "where is this".

This one and the LG 31 4k.

Seems odd how quiet it got. Almost like they're going a different direction due to a panel not living up to what they wanted to power these exact models.

I haven't heard anything new, but LG is still in the process of rolling out its 2014 4K TVs so maybe we'll hear something after that.

Why do you say there quality is bad? I dont know what the service is like but I have a samsumg tv and there top PLS monitor, and they are absolutely stunning in quality.

I have 5 dead 30" 305T in 2 years. In the end, samsung refund all my $

SErvice is poor, takes 2 mth. for repair on each 305T. And the return monitor (repaired) is a defective monitor

I have 5 dead 30" 305T in 2 years. In the end, samsung refund all my $

SErvice is poor, takes 2 mth. for repair on each 305T. And the return monitor (repaired) is a defective monitor

Yeah that is unfortunate, I have been lucky I guess with my PLS 1440p monitor, no issues in 15 months, and strangely the price is still the same from when i bought it back then.

Yeah that is unfortunate, I have been lucky I guess with my PLS 1440p monitor, no issues in 15 months, and strangely the price is still the same from when i bought it back then.

see, for those who is interested in this 32" 4K, this is precisely what I am afraid of. The link is for those like myself who used to own a 30" 2560x1600 samsung 305T

how can samsung assure people who used to own that 305T monitor that it won't happens to this upcoming 32" 4K monitor?

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1040820912

Errm that article was from August 2013, and it claims the monitor was to be released in September 6th assusming that year.

Well it's 7+ months since then and still no show.

To be fair, they didn't say which year

Yes thats true, but Im sure they would have said september next year if it's 2014.

Anyhow, I have my eyes set on the upcoming LG 31.5" MU95 4K monitor also, true 4K panel. I rekon either that or this, if they ever come out......

I have a lot of problem on LG quality. Very crappy quality, I just install a simple DVI cable on a LG monitor at a friend's house. Take several try for the LG to detect the DVI.

but what if something else go wrong? When the 305T come out, every1 else has 30" 2560x1600, HP run fine, so did Dell. Only samsung screw up that badly. Who's to say that this new monitor that they make, will run w/ no problem?

But to be fair, the OEM sharp from Asus and Dell are still full of problem, so as long as samsung is no worse, some people will put up w/ it

but what if something else go wrong? When the 305T come out, every1 else has 30" 2560x1600, HP run fine, so did Dell. Only samsung screw up that badly. Who's to say that this new monitor that they make, will run w/ no problem?

But to be fair, the OEM sharp from Asus and Dell are still full of problem, so as long as samsung is no worse, some people will put up w/ it

Not quite everyone else, Gateway had a 2560x1600 display that was prone to failure later on. Do a search on XHD3000 failures.

Anyway, the 305T came out like 7 years ago. Have any more recent Samsung monitors (past 3 years or so) had major issues? That's more what I'd judge by.

Not quite everyone else, Gateway had a 2560x1600 display that was prone to failure later on. Do a search on XHD3000 failures.

The XHD3000 was practically the same monitor as the Samsung - same panel, same scaler board. A major difference was the 305T/305T+ used internal power supplies with crappy capacitors while the XHD3000 had an external power brick.

Anyway, the 305T came out like 7 years ago. Have any more recent Samsung monitors (past 3 years or so) had major issues? That's more what I'd judge by.

after I burn 2 x $1600+, no, that's enough for me. Good news is, both are under warranty, so I get the refund back

So does anyone rekon this sammy 4K will have better quality or matched at the least to the upcoming Asus ProArt 4K monitor which is to be released in November?

I loved the design on the UD970. It had one of the best monitor designs, clean and industrial. But apparently Samsung decided to change the design to something more in line with their usual stuff. The bezel looks horrible and the feet mediocre. WHY? Was the original design too expensive?

large-52d14afe56096.jpg

Samsung-UD970-UD590-3.jpg

Samsung-U32D970Q-UHD-1.jpg

Last edited:
Back