Samsung 2tb External (with HD204UI) 90 bucks

Not sure where you got this from- link is to someplace else (WTF?) and the promo code is no good on newegg. From an old flyer or ???

Promo code is displayed on the NewEgg page and some reviews mention the drive being an HD204UI.

Not sure where you got this from- link is to someplace else (WTF?) and the promo code is no good on newegg. From an old flyer or ???

You sharing whatever your smoking?

Link is to the newegg product page & the Listed promo code works fine as its in my cart & reflects -10 from the price.

AWESOME find!! Ty very much, worked for me, Code works for multiple. I also got in on that refurbished 1tb Samsung too, combined With the aluratech enclosure deals from newegg from a week ago this seems great.
Ive been needing hdds since the flood and finally these seem give-in worthy. Fraps take up so much space...

Saved the pages and hope they honor 3 years for both if it comes to that. That's what makes this a deal IMO.

whats special about the hd204ui?

it is an actual Samsung drive, & not a seagate. I have 3 of them that I bought open box on newegg over a year ago & they are all running silky smooth

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152310

w/ coupon code EMCNCNE62

Multiple reviews say this has a HD204UI inside & not a seagate.. Seems like a hell of a buy to me..

Well, it is only USB2 so, no thanks. (Thanks you for the heads up though OP.) Also, Seagate drives appear to be good now, I have 6 drives as 2 500GB XT's, 2 1TB 7200.12's, 1 1TB 64MB cache drive and 1 2TB Green drive. Only problem I had was one of the 500GB XT's produced 1 bad block and that was rma'ed without issue.

Is there any deals on 2TB drives with USB 3 enclosures?

Well, it is only USB2 so, no thanks. (Thanks you for the heads up though OP.) Also, Seagate drives appear to be good now, I have 6 drives as 2 500GB XT's, 2 1TB 7200.12's, 1 1TB 64MB cache drive and 1 2TB Green drive. Only problem I had was one of the 500GB XT's produced 1 bad block and that was rma'ed without issue.

Is there any deals on 2TB drives with USB 3 enclosures?

USB 2.0 is a null point for most of us.. The Enclosure will be removed & the drives used in a system. This is 25 bucks less then the drive without the enclosure currently. If I was actually planning on using it as an external then I would pass on it being usb 2.0 as well..

USB 2.0 is a null point for most of us.. The Enclosure will be removed & the drives used in a system. This is 25 bucks less then the drive without the enclosure currently. If I was actually planning on using it as an external then I would pass on it being usb 2.0 as well..

I see, that makes sense.

The only thing to keep in mind is that when you remove a drive from its enclosure you void the warranty. Though, I've had 4 203WIs and 4 204UIs running for a looong time without issue so their inherent reliability should remove some of that concern. Still something to be aware of, though. As always, backups are your friend.

The only thing to keep in mind is that when you remove a drive from its enclosure you void the warranty. Though, I've had 4 203WIs and 4 204UIs running for a looong time without issue so their inherent reliability should remove some of that concern. Still something to be aware of, though. As always, backups are your friend.

I know that has been said many many times. But it has been my experience (never tried with sammy) that the HDD serial number still comes back as having a valid warranty through the manufacturers website.

I know that has been said many many times. But it has been my experience (never tried with sammy) that the HDD serial number still comes back as having a valid warranty through the manufacturers website.

I suppose YMMV, then. That wasn't the case with a WD 750GB drive I removed from its enclosure. Thankfully I never had an issue with the drive, but when I checked on the warranty it didn't come up like it does normally...they wanted the drive in the enclosure for RMA, and after taking that thing apart it's obvious they made it difficult to put back without signs that the enclosure had been taken apart.

That was a few years ago though; maybe things have changed.

The warranty is for 3 years, if you remove it from enclosure, you will lose it.

me: does the warranty apply to the enclosure with drive, or the drive itself as well?
(2:35:54 pm) seagate: In this case, the warranty would apply to the enclosure with the drive. If the enclosure is opened except for by a professional data recovery service, that will void the warranty on the drive.
(2:36:09 pm) me : how will you be able to tell?
(2:36:27 pm) me : if the drive is submitted as oem uising the internal drives serial number
(2:38:05 pm) seagate: In this case, we would use the serial number off the drive label. From there, if the the drive is OEM it will refer you back to that OEM company. In most cases, the warranty on an internal drive in an enclosure is then void the day it is manufactured, do the serial off the internal drive will show an out of warranty unit.
(2:38:23 pm) seagate: Only the serial number off of the external enclosure will show what the drive's warranty period is.
(2:39:37 pm) me : i see, also whom will the rma be processed by, seagate or samsung, as that is still an original samsung, not a seagate rebranded drive
(2:40:55 pm) seagate: In this case, unless it is an internal OEM or a Samsung SSD drive, we would handle the warranty on all other units. An OEM drive has to go through that OEM company and Samsung SSD's go through Samsung.

But if you try to RMA the bare disk Seagate will tell you to go fly a kite. Seagate knows which disks went into enclosures and which didn't.

I kept a pile of gutted enclosures around for exactly that reason. It was a huge PITA and totally not worth it.

But if you try to RMA the bare disk Seagate will tell you to go fly a kite. Seagate knows which disks went into enclosures and which didn't.

I kept a pile of gutted enclosures around for exactly that reason. It was a huge PITA and totally not worth it.

Bull Shit.. For a FACT I have RMA'd OEM drives (as in from a dell) with Seagate. Also RMA'd an External removed from an Enclosure with them as well. So again YMMV, but Seagate doesnt have there shit in a row enough to do that. Also of note.. You can buy bare OEM drives & all they know is that it did not come in a retail package.

Edit: and not trying to be a douche, but from experience Seagate seems to know OEM or Retail, and nothing else.

The HD204UI is no longer made by Samsung. It's now made in China by Seagate, not in Korea. I just bought one of the bare OEM drives. They're now labeled "Barracuda Green" and have the following Seagate part number:

ST2000DL004-HD204UI

The bare OEM drive has just a one year warranty and if you do a warranty lookup on Seagate's web site for a brand new drive you'll probably find that the warranty expires in 9 or 10 months.

I honestly don't care about the warranty, if these drives are truly the old Samsung 2TB's, you won't need the warranty. What I want is more confirmation that these drives are indeed the old Samsung F4EG 2TB's and not another version made by Samsung.

I honestly don't care about the warranty, if these drives are truly the old Samsung 2TB's, you won't need the warranty. What I want is more confirmation that these drives are indeed the old Samsung F4EG 2TB's and not another version made by Samsung.

Newegg has a few Samsung externals that require a power adapter and all reviews that talk about it say they have real Samsung drives.

I honestly don't care about the warranty, if these drives are truly the old Samsung 2TB's, you won't need the warranty

Is that what you think? :)

If you think the Samsung F4s were infallible, you should then ask yourself if it was due to the Samsung design or due to better Samsung manufacturing.

I love how NO ONE here mentioned the RPM, even though it was asked by three different people (seriously, wtf guys? Some people want to know the RPM before making a purchase and no one helps them?)

It's 5400 RPM. (even the newegg listing for the bare drive doesn't show the RPM....had to find a storagereview link for that......)

I love how NO ONE here mentioned the RPM, even though it was asked by three different people (seriously, wtf guys? Some people want to know the RPM before making a purchase and no one helps them?)

It's 5400 RPM. (even the newegg listing for the bare drive doesn't show the RPM....had to find a storagereview link for that......)

Use the fucking google bot then.. Purchase descisions are up to the individual, not anyone else. So anyone who wants to base the purchase descision on the Rpm can take the 3 seconds it takes to google it themselves.

Last edited:
And someone can grow a pair, have some ethics, and write that it's "5400 rpm" instead of "use fucking google." Get off of the "go search" bandwagon and learn how to help others. Your selfishness and pride is exactly what's wrong with everything in this world, these days. This *IS* a forum, and people ARE allowed to ask questions, instead of acting like someone peed in their little sister's cornflakes...

Is that what you think? :)

If you think the Samsung F4s were infallible, you should then ask yourself if it was due to the Samsung design or due to better Samsung manufacturing.

I don't care what makes them reliable, they just are. I have 14 of these drives at home and all of them have been running great for almost 2 years now.

And someone can grow a pair, have some ethics, and write that it's "5400 rpm" instead of "use fucking google." Get off of the "go search" bandwagon and learn how to help others. Your selfishness and pride is exactly what's wrong with everything in this world, these days. This *IS* a forum, and people ARE allowed to ask questions, instead of acting like someone peed in their little sister's cornflakes...

This has nothing to do with either ethics or "growing a pair", and the person being selfish if you, DEMANDING that others answer YOUR question. Get over yourself, you are not entitled to an answer, answers are provided by others at their leisure.

Anyway, I have three of these (the original 2TB Samsung F4) and like them a lot. They are quiet, sip power, and so far have been very reliable - however I release that my sample size of 3 is not statistically significant. Very tempted to grab a few of these and crack them open - however, I'm not sure I want to deal with the head ache from the warranty (or lack there of) if one does happen to crap out on me.

I don't care what makes them reliable, they just are. I have 14 of these drives at home and all of them have been running great for almost 2 years now.
+1

The F4EG HD204UI is my fav HD of all time. I have purchased and implemented 50+ of these drives and frankly I miss them. Cool, quiet, blazingly fast for 5400 RPM and ridiculously cheap in their prime. They make better system drives than most of the 7200 drives out there. I weep for the merge (loss) with seagate. FU seagate.

In for 3. Thanks OP.

This voids the warranty?

How hard is it to remove the enclosure, use it inside, then put it back on in case of RMA?

And you could have googled and answered several retarded questions for others who are too lazy to use search instead of ranting that everyone else should just be nice and use google to answer questions for those to lazy to do so themselves...

Apparently these drives are crippled F4's and will constantly spin down and don't support NCQ. From Newegg review:
Pros: A decent drive in a decent enclosure. But, note that the drive inside this enclosure is NOT the same as a bare OEM drive (see Cons).
Cons: The drive inside the case is a HD204UI/VP4. It spins down like crazy (like every 20 seconds). After only four hours use, I had 80 start/stop cycles in SMART. Even disabling AAM didn't stop it. Also, this drive is somehow configured to not support NCQ or accept power management commands from an OS - and I haven't been able to find any way to enable these. If this drive continues to spin down so often, it will have a short life unless it is only connected for quick backups.
Other Thoughts: So, I thought the spin down issue may be caused by the USB controller board. Nope, even the bare drive does it by itself. I used Samsung's ESTOOL 3.01v and noticed that AAM was set to quiet, unlike a OEM bare HD204UI - which is set to disabled. I changed the AAM setting to disabled, but it still spins down. I also noticed in the SMART data that NCQ isn't supported, unlike the OEM drive. I used the HD204UI firmware update, but still no stopping of the spin down issue or enabling of the NCQ feature. All of this makes the drive much less useful to me. Hoping someone will figure out how to change these settings...
Another user on Slickdeals also confirmed this http://slickdeals.net/f/4677514-2TB...Cord-Free-US-Adapter-90-Free-Shipping?&page=2

Back