Samsung 2TB Ecogreen F4 - $110 + FS @ Newegg

I still can't wrap my head around this kind of pricing, but nonetheless, this is a great drive and people shouldn't hesitate getting one of these. Have a few of them running and have no complaints, other than wishing I could load up on more for the $60 I originally paid.

Are these still the exact same drives as they were when Samsung made them. I'm a bit worried. I was vry unhappy when Seagate purchased Samsungs hard drive line!

I really want to pull the trigger considering I just bought the HP N40L Microserver.
I just can not see paying more than 80$ for these drives.

I've got 5 of these in my Synology 1511, but them for around $70 each about 14 months ago. They're ok. Only negatives is the noise they make when they spin up and I had 1 of the 5 go bad after 3 months, RMAed it.

Thanks OP. I have 9 pre-flood f4s, and NEEDED more.
Price wise, this is the best price reported in over 6 months.

In for 2.

Bought 3. cant flash these to the F4ER firmware as they are now labeled as seagate drives. Im assuming then that they are the latest firmware and do not have that NCQ AHCI problem. However, the firmware that is reported is the one that had the problems.

With that said, i need to buy 2 more.

Bought 3. cant flash these to the F4ER firmware as they are now labeled as seagate drives. Im assuming then that they are the latest firmware and do not have that NCQ AHCI problem. However, the firmware that is reported is the one that had the problems.

With that said, i need to buy 2 more.
Are these drives still identical to the F4s pre-Seagate?

They have new stickers on them saying they are the barracuda green series. model number is printed on it as follows:

ST2000DL04 , with a sub model as HD204UI samsung.

I'm hoping they are just placing the stickers on them, but manufacturing the samsung way.. with the new firmware .. initializing my raid atm!

They have new stickers on them saying they are the barracuda green series. model number is printed on it as follows:

ST2000DL04 , with a sub model as HD204UI samsung.

I'm hoping they are just placing the stickers on them, but manufacturing the samsung way.. with the new firmware .. initializing my raid atm!
Thanks but Hmm... that's not so reassuring. Hopefully someone will be able to confirm that these are indeed identical to the old Samsung F4s which I love.

Does this mean I have to blacklist samsung (seagate) drives now..... I had finally found a new favorite HDD vendor too.

Nothing wrong with seagate drives, yes some of you had bad experiences with them, however I haven't had much go wrong with the Seagates I own. Currently running a 2TB 5900RPM seagate for a storage drive. Plan to use a bunch of 2TB 5900rpm "green" seagates in raid 5 in my NAS soon.

I do however have some issue with seagate buying samsung. Though it will likely make for better drives in the future. it's turning into a monopoly with only two big companies building the majority drives. Hitachi is still alive and well though...

Nothing wrong with seagate drives, yes some of you had bad experiences with them, however I haven't had much go wrong with the Seagates I own. Currently running a 2TB 5900RPM seagate for a storage drive. Plan to use a bunch of 2TB 5900rpm "green" seagates in raid 5 in my NAS soon.

I do however have some issue with seagate buying samsung. Though it will likely make for better drives in the future. it's turning into a monopoly with only two big companies building the majority drives. Hitachi is still alive and well though...

I thought WD bought hitachi.

I guess I'll be waiting for the price to come down anyways. Hopefully someone can confirm whether these drives are identical to the old Samsung.

Back