Samsung 2493HM vs. BenQ G2400W

I am pretty sure the Doublesight is produced by the same OEM as the Planar. Neither Doublesight nor Planar actually manufacture the monitor.

I have heard some good things about the NEC, but I know that it has 1 to 2 frames more input lag than the BenQ. I think it's a bit steep for a TN Panel, myself.

Not sure about ghosting with the Doublesight. I haven't heard this specific complaint in that thread.

Regards,

10e

Any idea how the BenQ 2400W compares to the NEC LCD2470WVX?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824002378

That seems like a lot for a TN panel, especially when the DS-263N is (relatively) not much more money for a bigger and better screen. My only concerns there are...

- If it's the same as the Planar model, did Planar sell them models that didn't meet their standards?
- Will I notice ghosting? I can't say I notice any on my Samsung 206BW during gaming, which is a TN panel and advertised as having 2ms GTG. I do notice a very small amount when I move my mouse around on a contrasting background, but I'm very discriminating and it's the type of thing most people wouldn't notice.

Sorry to sound like I'm making a joke, I don't trust their reviews.

They are incomplete, give very little real information, and don't really test the monitors in depth. I have read enough of their reviews to see that they obviously don't like TN panels, but don't mention much about them. For example, they don't mention the above average color calibration, good response, low input lag, etc...

That's fine, but I can tell you black levels are decent and dark details are fairly well preserved. There isn't backlight bleed, but there is a tiny bit of clouding, but that can only be seen on a completely black screen. You can see a little bit of it on the photo, but it's not true BLB. That photo actually represents both screens fairly well.

It's up to you, but I wouldn't put much stock into their review. For a general use, and gaming monitor, the G2400W at this size cannot easily be beat.

Regards,

10e

Nice review, thanks. I'm looking at the Benq G2400W but the Trusted Review website put me off. It said the monitor had a large amount of backlight bleeding (my pet hate) , but you say the opposite. Confused

thanks for the review....

I'm looking for a 24" mainly cus of my PS3 and fps games. This seems to be the choice right now, but I have another question about the G2400W.

How is the contrast in dark areas? Can you tell the difference in the dark for both fps on PC and PS3?

Example: When you are hiding in the tunnel in cs_dust2 map =p

I haven't had any issues with dark games on this monitor. Condemned 2 from the Xbox 360 was comfortable on this monitor without any adjustments to contrast or brightness.

This was with the 360 set to "expanded" blacks which can be the most challenging set up for most monitors.

I haven't played any dark PC games, but the monitor is good at resolving both bright and dark colors from the tests I've run.

Regards,

10e

thanks for the review....

I'm looking for a 24" mainly cus of my PS3 and fps games. This seems to be the choice right now, but I have another question about the G2400W.

How is the contrast in dark areas? Can you tell the difference in the dark for both fps on PC and PS3?

Example: When you are hiding in the tunnel in cs_dust2 map =p

I have the 2493, just got it actually and can return it still. I can not get the Nvidia drivers to stick with Flant Panel Scaling->Use Nvidia scaling with fixed aspect-ratio. After I apply that setting it always goes back to Use my Display's built-in scaling.

Where you able to ever get this to work? If not I think back it goes for the BenQ, because it does get pretty blurry at lower 16:10 resolutions.

Good question,

I don't remember it switching back automatically on me, but it was in a dual monitor configuration with the BenQ at time, so that may have affected it.

But from what I remembered if I left it in 1680x1050 mode, it allowed me to select both. Try the regular "use nvidia scaling". To be honest, I'm pretty sure I never used the "aspect" ratio scaling with this monitor.

I'm not sure how well that would work with older 4:3 games though.

Regards,

10e

No matter what I do it will not stay in any option other than use the display's scaler. Well, if this is the case I will have to return it.

Yeah I saw that. I called EVGA tech and they didn't have a fix, so I called Samsung and I have to call back later today to talk to their tier 2 support. What we want is a way to turn the monitor's scaling off so that I can use the nvidia drivers. If I can't fix this I might have to return the screen and get the BenQ from newegg. Thanks for the help.

The Samsung 245BW and 2493HM use the same panel, but the 2493HM has USB ports, a height adjustable stand, and an HDMI port.

It's also between 40 and 75 dollars more from what I know.

If these aren't important to you, the 245BW should be fine.

Regards,

10e

Has anyone done a 245BW vs this other samsung? what the differience?

I already have a 245BW from when i worked at CompUSA (i got it for 250 with the discount when it was on sale). I wanted to know what i was missing, but i dont need the USB and HDMI bacause I can just use a DVI to HDMI for mu PS3.

Oh, the one thing I forgot is that I don't think the 245BW has a 4:3 ratio setting, while the 2493HM does.

That's about it.

Yer not missing much in my opinion.

10e

I already have a 245BW from when i worked at CompUSA (i got it for 250 with the discount when it was on sale). I wanted to know what i was missing, but i dont need the USB and HDMI bacause I can just use a DVI to HDMI for mu PS3.

About the scaling problem with the Samsung 2493HM, I talked to the tier 2/3 support at Samsung and they did not know how to fix the issue. They are going out to the engineers to find out what is up. So, maybe sometime in the next week I'll get an answer. The way these things go, I'd be very surprised if I actually heard back form them at all. I think I am going to just return the Samsung and order the BenQ.

I am a little concerned about the backlighting and "wobbliness" of the stand that I've heard about. How are these issues?

I can't say what everyone else's experience has been, but I didn't find the stand to be a problem. I'm not using it any more because I mounted the monitor on an Ergotron NeoFlex stand, but I didn't find it bad at all. And the tilting mechanism is not overly stiff either.

Backlight bleed is extremely low. On the original post you can see it sitting beside the 2493HM which you are familiar with, and the bleed on the Samsung was good, but worse.

It has a tiny bit of "clouding" that is a commonly complained about problem with Sony HDTVs, but it's not bad until you turn the brightness up to 100.

Regards,
10e

I got the BenQ and so far I really like it a lot. Can you please give me any settings recommendations for the best picture? Thanks! :)

10e I have a question for you. I just got a G2400W home and i've plugged it into my 8-10 year old computer until I get my new system next week. The video card is running through D-sub to the monitor and is an original ati radeon 64 meg ddr card. The colours on the screen look really washed out and the black is very grey (not even close to black). All of the monitors i've looked at in the stores that are 24" TN panels (including the samsung 245B and 2493HM) all seemed to look way better. Is this because i'm using a super old video card/computer? I will by getting my new system next week so i'll be able to see, but I just wasn't sure. I know TN monitors don't have BLACK blacks due to the low contrast ratios and the colours aren't fantastic, but it looks far worse than the ones I saw in store.

Could this be it?

also could you post up your settings on the G2400W so that I can give them a shot and see how it looks?

thanks!

So I have very quickly solved my major dilema! Since my old CRT was so dim I had some REALLY funky settings on my ati control panel, and I just set them back to default and it looks great now!

Still it would be cool to see your settings and try them out for myself...

Thanks!

Alright guys, got some questions:

I have the BenQ G2400W, purchased around early March. It is a good monitor, however I cannot help notice it adds a BUNCH of aliasing in games, such as GTA4....is this a problem with you guys? Also, my PS3 doesn't seem to make the DVDs look good at all.

Yes I have tried 2 HDMI cables.

I also purchased the BenQ G2400W and to be honest I am not so satisfied about the picture quality. On the PC is seems to be OK but indeed HD movies are not as sharp as expected.
On the PS3, I also expected better quality. It looks not really sharp and detailed (especcially the new GTA IV) as on my fathers Panasonic HD Ready plasma.

What are the optimum settings for the PS3 and the monitor to achieve the best quality? On the PS3 I have ticked the 720P and 1080P options and on the screen itself I the used aspect setting. If I use the 1:1 setting I get a smaller screen since most games are max 720P.

Besides this, I have a red stuck pixel and unfortunately no dead pixel warranty. HopefulIy I can return the monitor but what is the alternative?

I have the BenQ G2400W, purchased around early March. It is a good monitor, however I cannot help notice it adds a BUNCH of aliasing in games, such as GTA4....is this a problem with you guys? Also, my PS3 doesn't seem to make the DVDs look good at all.

Monitors don't create/add Aliasing. As much as people go on about consoles and how they play games better than PCs, they don't usually have the horsepower to do a decent game with Anti-Aliasing. If you weren't seeing it before, chances are you we watching it on a crappy standard TV that blurred everything out. You can't really duplicate that effect on an LCD.

About DVDs looking good. The PS3 is reputed to be a great DVD upscaler. But no matter what the Blu Ray haters say, upscaled video doesn't look near as good as real HD video. Upscaling can't add detail that wasn't there. If you pop in a Blu ray and that doesnt' look good, you may have a problem.

Bottom line, low res content will look better on an old low res CRT. I don't have a PS3 so I can't comment on settings, but I bet your SOL when it comes to getting a serious improvement. Try finding a game that does 1080p Anti-Aliasing (if one exists) and see how much better that looks.

Google ps3 anti-aliasing and you will see a bunch of complaints from both TV and Monitor owners and you see that some PS3 games have AA and some Don't.

Maybe a PS4 will actually be able to do 1080p and AA.

Snowdog is right,

The PS3 does not seem to smooth out 720P games at all. In general, even on an LG TV that smooths things out due to post-processing, games still look pixelated and blocky.

Comparing NHL 08 on my PS3 and Xbox 360, the PS3 looks aliased and blocky, while the 360 looks a fair bit smoother.

To be honest though, a number of users on various threads complained that the 360 was jagged on various monitors but it still seems a far cry from the poor quality of PS3 720P games. Right now ONLY GT5 Prologue is 1080p and it looks quite good. It still doesn't have any anti aliasing but the higher resolution helps.

I find in comparing my two consoles, the 360 shows less banding and aliasing than the PS3.

Unfortunately most monitors are too accurate and have minimal post processing.

For example, my NEC LCD2690WuXi does a good job smoothing Burnout Paradise, as does the Westinghouse L2410NM, but both of these monitors have more lag than the G2400W.

As far as DVDs being upscaled, it's the quality of the DVD that can impact visuals more than the monitor.

Regards,

10e

Hey 10e I hate to be a pain but would you mind sharing your settings on your Benq G2400W? (brightness, contrast ratio, colour, etc...). Mine is looking good with stock colours and brightness of 90 and contrast ratio of 50.

Lately I've been using the sRGB preset or standard mode, and not toying with the color settings. Some people might like a little bit more blue, but I don't.

Brightness between 65 and 80, contrast at 51.This seems to be a good compromise. Dark games are easily visible, and bright stuff is not blown out (ie. turned to white).

I always suggest keeping the contrast below 60 as after that it starts to really wash everything into white.

Brightness keep how you want.

Regards,

10e

What about noise from the monitors?
I had to return a Samsung 245BW because there was a static electric buzz sound coming from it.
If you have a silent video source (i use a fanless computer so i sensible to most noises) , could you please tell me if any of the screens make any kind of electrical noise?

Thanks.

What about noise from the monitors?
I had to return a Samsung 245BW because there was a static electric buzz sound coming from it.
If you have a silent video source (i use a fanless computer so i sensible to most noises) , could you please tell me if any of the screens make any kind of electrical noise?

Thanks.

I'm also concerned about this! I'm greatly debating between the 245BW and the G2400W. I've read a few threads of people complaining about the 245BW's noisy hum and heat production so I'm hesitant about purchasing it. But the thing is i can't buy the G2400W locally. And buying online doesn't sound too great if i need to return it (as a bunch of people have been complaining about stuck/dead pixels). The shipping cost back would prolly be around $20 :(

Anyone else been in the same boat? Wondering what you decided on and if you're happy with it. Also, like the guy above me...does the G2400W have a hum also? and high heat production? Maybe 10e wouldn't mind further sharing his experience comparing to the 2493HM in this respect :). Thanks!!!

G2400W runs very cool and very quiet.

Inverter hum can only be heard at certain brightness very faintly ONLY if I jam my ear up against the monitor's vents.

The panel is cool. Not medium, or warm, but cool, and there is minimal heat coming out of the back. It is by far the coolest running monitor I've ever used.

10e

I also throw in a vote for the BenQ. After having it for a few days it is a keeper and for sure I am happier with it than the Samsung. :)

I just got mine, i have slight backlight bleed at the bottom right, nothing major, but its a keeper indeed, love the monitor, its easy on my eyes which is worth millions itself!!!

Glad to hear it,

I know you went through the LG L227WTG lately and you weren't too happy with the banding at contrast < 70 so I hope you enjoy it.

It's definitely one of the easiest on the eyes screens I've used in a long time. By the way, you can set your HDMI to expanded blacks from the 360 and see pretty much everything.

Something I can't do on other, "higher end" monitors like the BenQ FP241VW and Dell 2005FPW.

Regards,

10e

I just got mine, i have slight backlight bleed at the bottom right, nothing major, but its a keeper indeed, love the monitor, its easy on my eyes which is worth millions itself!!!

Yeah bro, im loving the fact that its so easy on my eyes, i have brightness and contrast set at 50/50 and its very comfortable for me to sit in front of it for hours, i couldnt do that with those crappy 10000:1 contrast monitors, i dont know why they do that, its not like anyone uses brightness that high, 1000:1 is perfect for my eyes.

Thanks 10e,

You provide great advice. I went with the BenQ, great screen and perfect for the ps3 and macbook.

cheers

Yes I have been quite happy with it on the PS3.

It's been better for me (quality wise) with PS3 than the more expensive BenQ FP241VW. You can even play dark games on it and see all the detail, and it does not add any banding that wasn't already there, and even BluRay is pretty good on this monitor.

Enjoy it!

10e

Thanks 10e,

You provide great advice. I went with the BenQ, great screen and perfect for the ps3 and macbook.

cheers

Hi, thanks for the excellent review - very informative and helpful!

It sounds like this monitor is exactly what I'm after, but I had a couple of questions before I part with ££ if that's OK?

This is going to be a general use monitor, as well as one which will specialize in playing movies through my PC, including HD, PS3 games and Bluray movies and doing video editing (professional work)/photo editing (non-pro). I use a gretag macbeth eye-1 calibrator, so I'm not worried about 'out of the box' colour profile accuracy. OK so my questions:

I particularly liked the way you say this monitor 1:1 pixel maps, adjusting the aspect ratio depending on the movie/TV show. This is essential. I refuse to watch stretched pictures and I can't do that for editing work either. I just wondered what would happen if you fed a 4:3 ratio picture into it? Is there a way to resize this and just end up with black bars on either size without the picture being stretched (either in the monitor, or the graphics card)? Maybe you could post a pic of this if it's possible?

Second, how bad is the viewing angle - I need to be able to sit across the room and watch movies in comfort sometimes - if I angle the screen down, will this be OK? I take it the horizontal angle is OK for two or three people to watch from about 6-7' as long as they're not sitting miles apart? Will the stand tilt down this far, or will I have to buy a 3rd party stand?

Lastly, do you know if this monitor will handle '24p' bluray HD source correctly? I don't know what it does fps/refresh rate wise with 24fps material?

Cheers,
James :)

Tnx for the review :D

I have some questions:

Does G2400W have the same problem like BenQ FP241W has that you need certain firmware version for the 1:1 pixel mapping to work?

I'm between G2400W and FP241W right now and want to make sure I don't have stretched out picture when I'm using it for my PS3 @ 1080/720 over HDMI or DVI (I have dvi to hdmi cable).

And how does the blacks look like? Usually TN panels are really struggling with dark blacks and they display this... blueish black or smt like that when you look @ the screen in the dark. I usually used Nokia monitor test to c how bad the blacks looked on the TN panel.

It would be really helpful if you could answer these questions. I have been looking for a good PS3 monitor over 2 months now.

Hey 10e,

I just wanted to thank you for all your wisdom and helpfulness in this display forum. I've been shopping for a new LCD this week for use with my PS3 and if it wasn't for threads like these I would have purchased me a Samsung 2693HM and been seriously disappointed with its scaling.
Thanks to all your posts and recommendations regarding these monitors I've now decided on a G2400W.

Really just wanting to say how much I appreciate the time you put into testing all these screens and replying to everyone, you rock and keep it up :)

Hi 10e,
First of all, hats off to you for the fantastic report! I'm the one that originally posted the question of both aspect ratios (4:3 and 16:9). I am into video editing and need both aspects to be proper due to video taping in both. Stretching and/or distortion would be totally out of the question while editing, therfore it's important that I get the proper aspect. I gather according to your report that the Samsung 2493HM will give proper aspect ratios, but will leave bars at the side and/or top of the picture in either one. Am I correct? I am also planning on purchasing the Samsung LN22a450 HDTV for viewing as a second monitor for getting my final output for proper color, etc. due to my final video being made on DVD. Thanks for all the help and the great comparison test that you gave. I value your input as well as anyone elses. Ray

The Samsung won't give you black bars horizontally or vertically. Only the AV mode will give you what seems like the correct aspect ratio, but will cut off the sides left and right.

The pix show it properly. The G2400W has the right aspect ratio and black bars top and bottom (normal for a 16:10 ratio monitor to display 16:9). The reason I use those tiger dave.com images is they will show two things: How much overscan there is, and the aspect ratio, by checking the middle circle is a circle and not oval.

Concerning the 22" TV, I would HOPE it would do 16:9 right, but it is a 1680x1050 TV, meaning that it is not full 1080p resolution. Not sure how that will work, if it will just downscale the image to 1680x945 (16:9) or if it will display it 1:1 and cut off all directions.

But in essence, with the 2493HM you have two choices: 16:9 stretched to 16:10, and 16:9 maintained with horizontal overscan of unknown percentage.

Take a look at the following summary from AT:

http://www.anandtech.com/displays/showdoc.aspx?i=3302&p=11

Explains it fairly well.

Regards,

10e

I am currently using a Samsung T220, but with the BENQ Discount I am thinking about picking up this G2400..I am just trying to convince myself that its worth it.... was wondering what others though?

Back