Samsung 2343BWX or 2494SW which to get? $200

rive22

Supreme [H]ardness
2494SW

2343BWX

The 2048 x 1152 resolution on the 23" is attractive. I saw a couple pics searching google and it looks like you can do the two pages side by side thing while also having your sidebar visable at all times. I'm a bit worried though that I may find things to be too small on the screen cramming all that resolution in a small space, but I really have no idea.

Or do you guys think a 24" would be better? Given they are just about the same price.

I am coming from a 19" 1440x900 so either way can't really go wrong, but I'm pretty torn. What do you guys think? :D

Last edited:
I bought myself the 2343BWX on boxing day and I really do like it. The screen size and resolution work out to be about 100DPI yet the screen is extremely easy to read. Everything I've tried so far supports the resolution (Valve Orange Box, Dragon Age, DiRT 2, Modern Warfare 2, Supreme Commander, Oblivion, NFS Shift to name a few) with the exception of Morrowind which doesn't natively support any wide screen resolution. No wide gamut issues although I think the monitor does have a setting for it. Dynamic contrast is bit of a gimmick but aside from that I am happy with my purchase.

EDIT: Only drawback with this monitor is that the stand is almost completely rigid, I had to use a jewel case to prop the monitor to tilt downwards. Also doesn't support 1:1 scaling as far as I know. Not sure how this monitor compares to the 24" model, but I bought this one over the 2494SW because it was on sale for $150 CDN.

Last edited:
Nice! as long as it's easy to read that's my only worry. I do think it's a more attractive monitor I don't really like the chrome on the other one. Can we not view two full pages side by side on a regular 1920 monitor? That would be my deal sealer for sure on the 23" I really like that feature.

How do the lower resolutions look if you wanted to downsize, which ones look decent and not all effed up.

Thanks man!

I have a dual setup with the 2343BWX monitors that I just got. They are nice overall, love the resolution.

There is some backlight bleed around the edges noticeable on all black screens, but I have the older models (the ones labeled 20000:1, supposedly there are some newer ones that are a bit better in that area that people are receiving (look at the newegg reviews)). Colors look great for TN. At first they seem REALLY wide, but you get used to it quickly. My stands swivel and tilt easily, though no height adjustment.

They look decent at resolutions that are the same aspect, though it gets a bit soft of course since it is not the native res.

Only thing I dont really like is the glossy bezel, but it is small so it is not a huge deal.

Yeah they should offer matte bezel option, at least the screen is matte. Ok, so you guys that have this 23" inch one, do you find it big enough or if you could would you rather have a 24"? Keep in mind it would be 1920x1080 and not x1200. Wish I could check these out in the store but I'm in the boons for the winter haha :D

I am leaning towards the 2343 :D Going to purchase whichever tomorrow afternoon.

Exactly what I needed to hear. I think my mind is made up. Thanks a lot man!

Last edited:
Can't go wrong with the 2343. Worked great and without issue for me for over 3 months now. Just make sure you do some calibration with the MagicTune utility. Makes a pretty substantial difference.

Hey real quick does the 2343 have that multiscreen feature?

Yeah that's just software. It's got more than enough pixels to work with that. Enjoy the new screen :)

This may sound crazy but I'm not sure I like this monitor. The colors are washed out and very dull, and everything is a bit small. I'm trying to calibrate it, thank god for the ATI card & software because the magictune wont install it says my computer isn't compatible, tried downloading the newer versions and everything.

Owell, not your guys fault, thanks much for the input and help, I can't believe in a million years I'm saying this over samsung but I'm selling this thing and getting another Acer it was so much brighter and Vivid, by far, even my friend noticed the difference right away. The touch buttons are a pain too. LoL I don't know maybe it's defective.

Last edited:
Hold my last thoughts I'm not sure yet, I'm going to play with this a bit and see. I think it was the magictune like you said, I finally got it running and after some web browsing I'm starting to see colors on my screen that I've never seen before. For instance certain light shades of yellow are visable now where as before I couldn't see them at all, and the greens are very vivid. I'm going to play more, I definitely love the Real Estate wow! I had to adjust the DPI to medium setting in windows just because I like to sit back relaxed with my head back about 24" from my display.

This multiscreen is pretty cool too. muahahhaha I'll check this out for a few days and see.

I also played a little bit of Crysis on this and wow what a difference. I can just imagine with 3 displays in eyefinity.

Thanks guys :D

Last edited:
It is not too bad in the color department besides the backlight bleed, at least neither of mine are.

Both are fairly accurate.

Yep. Once you turn off the MagicColor and Dynamic Contrast BS and do a calibration in MagicTune it's like a whole different panel. Substantial difference from when it came out of the box.

I totally agree guys. That magictune made a world of difference. I freakin love this thing it's official, now I want 3 of them. HAHAHA. After a day of web surfing I'm seeing so many different colors. The bold shades that were always there before are just much more bold and vivid, and all the very light shades are coming out now where as before they weren't visible on my other screen at all. Not too shabby :D It's almost like my eyes had to adjust from looking at a dull monitor for so long.

Last edited:
Back