Samsung 226BW 22": 3000:1 Contrast, 2ms response time

I just checked, it turns out mine is an AU Optronics panel.

is that bad? should I return it or what?

ok, wow i checked my panel and its AU optronics as well, is this good or bad, i tried reading through the forum but couldnt make much sense.

I have a late manufactured A panel and I like it. The colors were great from the start. I haven't adjusted anything other than brightness and contrast. If you have no issues with what you have, why ask whether or not you should keep it or is it good or bad. You will know when you have a substandard panel. In fact, the display model in the store had a very strong blue hue to it. I turned it around and saw that it was an earlier C panel. I also read about issues with some A panels. When I saw mine was an A, I was expecting the worse. Instead I was very pleased.

What's the contrast ratio on this monitor? A lot of sites and reviews say it's 1000:1. Samsung has claimed it's 1000:1 in some sections, and 700:1 in others.

Well even though its an A panel, I've done some looking around at various options and settings, and checked everything out that I can think of that might annoy me, and I'm happy with everything as I see it. I cant see any blue tint, so even if it does exist, it doesnt bother me.

I was finally able to play with my monitor this weekend. It was manufactured in Nov. 2007, appears to be an AU Optronics panel. The colors look excellent so far! I did no adjusting whatsoever aside from contrast / brightness.

M-ME22H0CLA-1004

MSTAR

:cool:

Hey ;)

I bought my 226BW 2 weeks ago (Amazon)...I think I've a "S"-Panel, because of the version-number. But the backlight say it's a "C" or "A".
Is this a S-Panel? I have perfect colors (no blue/redtint). I tried out other "color-profiles" from Behardware.

Result: Terrible colors with A and C profil. WinXP Silver-Theme was more red then silver....

Should be a S, right?

Dörri

Same here.. I just got one, and its really good! I love it :) Thinking about buying another one.. Well, Now I have to read these 100 pages :) and see whats up.
Thanks.

Scaler-MCU: Genesis
Version: M-ME22W0BAA-1002
Checkum: 87AA

Also: mine doesn't have this HDCP HotPlug etc..

I live a mile away from Office Depot and luckily they have these monitors there and a 14 day return policy on them. I'm really looking forward to buying one but not looking forward to all these panel shenanigans crap, I just want to buy one and be done with it.

14 days is plenty of time to decide if I want to keep one of the other panels and try to calibrate it correctly, if not, back it goes before the 14 days is over with.

What's the recent shipment of these things like now, still a good chance I will be playing the panel lottery game? I tried to talk to the guy there in the LCD section about the panel lottery business and he just looked at me like he had no idea what I was talking about.

Also, if they took the model number out of the service window is there any other way for me to tell without opening the box there at the store, or do they even allow this? I'd really like to just grab an S and be done with it. But they have these on the shelf as a display and not hooked up to a computer I can actually use, just to look at with some crappy red bubbly screensaver.

I live a mile away from Office Depot and luckily they have these monitors there and a 14 day return policy on them. I'm really looking forward to buying one but not looking forward to all these panel shenanigans crap, I just want to buy one and be done with it.

14 days is plenty of time to decide if I want to keep one of the other panels and try to calibrate it correctly, if not, back it goes before the 14 days is over with.

What's the recent shipment of these things like now, still a good chance I will be playing the panel lottery game? I tried to talk to the guy there in the LCD section about the panel lottery business and he just looked at me like he had no idea what I was talking about.

Also, if they took the model number out of the service window is there any other way for me to tell without opening the box there at the store, or do they even allow this? I'd really like to just grab an S and be done with it. But they have these on the shelf as a display and not hooked up to a computer I can actually use, just to look at with some crappy red bubbly screensaver.

The newer monitors may have panel model removed from the service panel, but version number should always stay. You can deduce what panel you have from the version number alone.

Now, if the version number is also removed....

Yep. That's an S panel. You're lucky the OSD gave you a version number. I had to unscrew the back and read the label inside.

You havn't a version number in your OSD? When is your 226BW manafactured? November?

I bought a 226BW at Future Shop last week. Turns out I ended up with an A-panel. AU Optronics panel from the service menu, production date November 2007 from the back label. That's fine. Some color correction later, no problems. Some MORE color correction for color banding in overlay mode when playing movies. Not perfect, but still OK.

However, I noticed an odd flicker as I panned my view while looking at the sky in games like World of Warcraft. There was a trailing effect too as I scrolled through my Firefox bookmarks. At first, I didn't even consider that it might be a ghosting problem... after all, this monitor was rated at a 2ms response time. It turns out the source is the RTA feature that drives the response time up from 5ms to 2ms. When I turned that feature off, the ghosting stopped.

I find it really funny that the feature that's supposed to prevent ghosting is causing it. What's the point of buying a 2ms response time monitor if you have to run it at 5ms response time? With this problem and the color banding problems in video playback, I think I'm going to take it back.

Hello guys.. This is my first post but really not the first time im here :)

I have recently purchesed the 226bw and im having some problems with it.

When i bought it, i connected it via the DVI cable to my 8800GT Evga card.
At first everything was working perfect for about a week. it was connected thorugh "Digital" ofc. then after about a week, when i turned on my pc, the screen was plain black and just didnt worked.
After a few hours of trying to figure out whats wrong i replaced the DVI cable with the normal cable (Forgot its name) and suddenly everything worked fine...
Currently its working on the "analog" connection, and not on the "Digital" unfortenatly.

Any idea whats the problem? is it the cable? the screen? settings?
And yes, i did tryed reinstalling all the drivers. ;)

Thanks in advance for the responds.

Hey everyone I have a question about dynamic contrast.
I have my 226BW hooked up to my ATI X1650 using DVI. When I view certain sites (eg. http://www.blackle.com/) the contrast turns really low and its harder to read the site/text. Is there any way to stop this? I'm confused as to what the point of it is and if I really need it (yes I'm a gamer and watch movies on my PC) for anything other than video?

Thanks!

I bought a Sumsung 226BW last week when Future Shop had it on for $90 off during the Boxing week sales. I have been trying for the last 2 or 3 days to get the color right, but everything I have tried still looks terrible. Honestly, I have tried just about everything. According to some test articles, this is supposedly the best 22 inch LCD monitor. I am actually considering going back to CRT if this is all that LCD has to offer.

I tried everything from the following article without much luck:
http://www.behardware.com/articles/667-1/samsung-226bw-a-and-s-series-the-verdict.html

Model: 226BW
Model Code: LS22MEHSFV/XAA
Type: GH22WS
Manufactured: October 2007

Other info from panel trick:

Version: M-ME22H0CLA-1003
Checksum: 413B
Scaler-MCU: Mstar

* It does not show Panel Info code like in the screen shots from the above article.

The article is thorough, but does not show my model to determine if it actually is A or S series.

Does anybody know (with my info above) whether or not mine is A or S series?

Thanks,
Dave

* X-xxxxxxxAx-xxxx: Samsung panel.
* X-xxxxxxxLx-xxxx: AU Optronics panel.
* X-xxxxxxxDx-xxxx: CMO panel.
* X-xxxxxxxIx-xxxx: CPT panel.

so you have an AU Panel ;)

Question, can this monitor do 75Hz at native res? Specs seem to indicate that it can, then again I'm reading the specs off of ebay so it could be wrong.

^ Ah, that sucks, thanks though!

I have to vent here for a second. I found an ebay member selling refurbished S panels, so I emailed him a few questions as shown here:

Hi, I just have a few questions about this item.

1) You say no dead pixels. Is this a guarantee? Could the item be returned if a dead pixel were to be found?

2) Is this a guaranteed S panel? I don't know what method you used to determine it, but according to the following webpage, even if it says S on the back it may still be the A panel.

http://www.behardware.com/articles/667-1/samsung-226bw-a-and-s-series-the-verdict.html

3) Since it is refurbished, should I expect blemishes/scratches on the screen and/or bezel?

Thank you, I appreciate it.

Here is the elaborate response I get:

Sorry i do not have a return policy
this monitor has a 60 days samsung warranty.

Thanks

Gee, thanks for answering my questions! :mad:

Is it seriously that hard for people to answer more than one question? It happens all the time to me, I write these long ass emails begging for details and I get a one sentence response. I hate people, I hate businesses, I hate it all. :mad:

jaguax,

It doesn't do anything above 60Hz at native resolution of 1680 x 1050.

I've read multiple reviews saying some people can run at 75Hz, however it has to be "forced", if this is true or not I am not sure.

However my questions are:

Is this possible?

Will forcing a refresh rate harm the monitor at all?

Is forcing/overriding the refresh rate only possible on some videocards?

I ask this because I had a 19" KDS on an ATI 9800 pro, I could force 1280x1024@85Hz, however once I upgraded my system with a 8800GT forcing 85Hz was not possible anymore, it would just throw the monitor out of range.

lcds don't display 75hz properly anyway so unless you prefer every 1 out of 5 frames skipped leave it as it is.

Any chance to get an answear on my post ? :confused:
Just a few posts up.. im a bit lost and feeling bad because of it, sorry...

Hello guys.. This is my first post but really not the first time im here :)

I have recently purchesed the 226bw and im having some problems with it.

When i bought it, i connected it via the DVI cable to my 8800GT Evga card.
At first everything was working perfect for about a week. it was connected thorugh "Digital" ofc. then after about a week, when i turned on my pc, the screen was plain black and just didnt worked.
After a few hours of trying to figure out whats wrong i replaced the DVI cable with the normal cable (Forgot its name) and suddenly everything worked fine...
Currently its working on the "analog" connection, and not on the "Digital" unfortenatly.

Any idea whats the problem? is it the cable? the screen? settings?
And yes, i did tryed reinstalling all the drivers. ;)

Thanks in advance for the responds.

Might be that the DVI port on your monitor has gone bad. I would get a DVI to VGA adapter to plug into your monitor and see what displays. Also, try toggling the source button a view times. If it went out "randomly", there's a good chance it burned out. It should still be under warranty with Samsung.

I'm now using a Samsung 226BW, however they have also released on the market a few predecessors including the 226CW and NW. How are these compared to the BW? My panel is not from Samsung but I'm not a visualphile and can't really spot any major problems. I've had the monitor for a good 3-4 months now.

I've read multiple reviews saying some people can run at 75Hz, however it has to be "forced", if this is true or not I am not sure.

However my questions are:

Is this possible?

Will forcing a refresh rate harm the monitor at all?

Is forcing/overriding the refresh rate only possible on some videocards?

I ask this because I had a 19" KDS on an ATI 9800 pro, I could force 1280x1024@85Hz, however once I upgraded my system with a 8800GT forcing 85Hz was not possible anymore, it would just throw the monitor out of range.

You could force it to 65 hz, i did that for a while with no problems. Im not sure about long term though.

I just bought a 226BW not 30 seconds ago from newegg. Stupid me, I should have looked here first. At 116 pages, I sure didn't read much, but it seems like people are having problems with this monitor. All in all, is this a good monitor or not? I bought it for gaming...

I just bought a 226BW not 30 seconds ago from newegg. Stupid me, I should have looked here first. At 116 pages, I sure didn't read much, but it seems like people are having problems with this monitor. All in all, is this a good monitor or not? I bought it for gaming...

I have two of them, and they are the BEST monitors I have ever owned. Hands down.

mE too..
BIG NO NO FOR THE HATERS!!

This is a great monitor overall... The color is fantastic.. This is my monitor number 8.
And the best so far.

Has anyone purchased this recently (within the last month or so) from Newegg? I'm curious as to which models they are shipping out now. Thanks for any info.

Man, oh man, is this monitor a beauty! UPS delivered it earlier today and I just hooked it up and all I can say is, this thing is gorgeous! I am very satisfied with my purchase. The only tweak I did was up the resolution to 1680x1050. The colors and clarity are perfect at stock settings, to me. What a great buy, especially since I got free 3-day shipping AND a $40.00 MIR from newegg! And to cobra, I believe I have the AU panel.

Had it for a month now, response time is good, no ghosting noticeable, no problems or dead pixels, but when the screen goes black, man, the light bleed is everywhere. I really don't notice it any other time, so I guess I can ignore it for the price point. Viewing angles are meh but I'm not using it to replace my TV so it doesn't matter.

Don't expect it to be the centerpiece of the room, but if you can get it at a good price, it's not bad. I'll probably upgrade to one of the non-TN panel 24'' monitors soon.

I just got a 206BW and have a quick question. When I adjust the brightness level via the on screen display I can't really see a difference between 100 or 80 brightness, is this normal? Its not until I reach the the 60's or 70's that I see a difference

I might get the 206BW, but is the only way to see if you have the "S" panel is by looking on the back of the monitor?

I just got the 226bw. I have to say, I guess I'm sort of a 'whatever' guy when it comes to this blacklightbleed business. I can totally live with whatever I'm seeing. The picture/light/color is absolutely stunning.

I got this monitor about a week ago and I'm still trying to find the right setting for it. This monitor seems way too bright esp. looking at white background. If I dimm the brightness, something will look too dark. The viewing angel on the LCD isn't too good also.

Comparing this to my Dell 2007fp, The pictures and videos seems too dark. The skin tone and what not look too reddish. Is there any setting to adjust this? What should be the optimum brightness/contrast? Please help out!

Where do I get this wallpaper please?

Use the Spyder2 profile posted earlier in this thread with brightness / constrast at 72.

The image quality / colors are fantastic on this monitor using that profile.

226bwix1.jpg

????

Back