Samsung 226BW 22": 3000:1 Contrast, 2ms response time

I just got this LCD today. Could someone verify me what my Samsung 226BW panel is?

In service mode: I got this: M-ME22H0CLA-1002 (Mstar) and Manufacture date is August 2007.

Please. thanks

I just got this LCD today. Could someone verify me what my Samsung 226BW panel is?

In service mode: I got this: M-ME22H0CLA-1002 (Mstar) and Manufacture date is August 2007.

Please. thanks
looks like you got a new one. here are some translated links that don't make much sense but it's obviously something different.

http://translate.google.com/transla...?q=M-ME22H0CLA-1002&hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:*

http://translate.google.com/transla...?q=M-ME22H0CLA-1002&hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:*

Got my 226BW from NewEgg a couple days ago. I haven't played games on it yet, but my impression so far is mixed. I got it for gaming though, so as long as that’s good then I’m okay with it.

I don't know what version of panel I've got, but it's most likely not the legendary S version. I can't check anything since I'm not at home, but I think the panel is manufactured August 2007. The service menu and rear label do not show the panel make.

Colors are difficult to get right. My monitor has a very apparent blue dominance on default; though this can be corrected somewhat. I used my Pantone Eye-One LT colorimeter to attempt to calibrate the monitor, but the RGB precalibration wants me to set the red to max and blue to minimum; completely throwing my colors out of whack and making everything red. Regardless of my monitor's RGB, it seems that applying any sort of ICC profile aside from Windows default, whether it's one I made, the manufacturers, or one of the ones available on the web for the 226 causes severe banding with gradients - especially a black-to-blue gradient.

For now, I just set my monitor's RGB to 50,50,40, contrast at 60, brightness at 50, and applied the sRGB standard ICC profile. Looks decent right now, but I'm definitely not going to do serious photo work on it (not that I ever do anyway since I just wanted to play games on it; I pretty much bought the colorimeter on a whim).

Reactivity seems good from what I've seen, though I'll still need to try it out in games to get the big picture.

Viewing angles seem typical for a TN, at least from my experience. Some color shifting horizontally and forget about viewing the monitor from a vertical angle. It's acceptable for me since I knew what I was getting into.

The panel makes a very slight buzz; though it's hardly noticable unless the room is very quiet. It's certainly much less noticable than my cheap Acer 19" screen, which has a very loud buzz at anything other than 100% brightness.

One dead sub-pixel; in this case it's a red that's stuck on (thus is dark and makes for a blue-green pixel on a white background) about 2 inches to the right of center. I'll need to use the monitor more to see if it would actually bother me (or if I'm just annoyed because I know that it's there). I can't return the monitor anyway since Samsung USA and NewEgg's dead pixel policies are pretty lousy.

Oh well, so long as I find it great for gaming then I'm reasonably content. It'll hold me over until my next monitor upgrade; hopefully by then there will be a 'perfect' monitor for me.

I'm definately looking to purchase this monitor. Hopefully there will be some Cyber Monday sales and I can pick it up cheaper. If not, I saw that buy and newegg have it for pretty cheap. :D

I'm definately looking to purchase this monitor. Hopefully there will be some Cyber Monday sales and I can pick it up cheaper. If not, I saw that buy and newegg have it for pretty cheap. :D

yeah either way it's not a bad price for what you get. I was hoping they'd have a good Samsung on sale on Black Friday at BB or CC but the deals kinda suck this year.

I bought this monitor hoping to watch my stdef DVDs upscaled to 720p from my Pioneer DV-400V standalone dvd player. I've used an hdmi-dvi converter attached to the dvi cable that came with the monitor, a dvi-hdmi converter attached to the hdmi cable that came with the dvd player and finally a dvi-hdmi cable.

If I select 480p it displays fine but when I switch to 1280x720p I get a blank screen, the status panel of the monitor shows 44.9KHz 60Hz PP 1280x720.

If I plug it into my notebook's dvi port set to display 1280x720 everything displays fine although the status panel shows 60.0 KHz 60Hz PP 1280x720.

Any clues?

Why not just go for a different brand of monitor? or lose a few inches and get a 931BW instead! You don't have to waste your lives arguing with Samsung or complaining about the various build types of the 226bw or whatever.

Just get a fast LCD and play Crysis!

Hey guys got a question for you, I'm hearing things about you not knowing which panel your going to get S panel? How much worse is one than the other. Ontop of that would it just be safer to go with the 2ms dell or LG than the potential in getting the crappier one?

Still shows them as different it says a number of times in the article the one is still better than the other. :confused:

just buy one from some place you can return it easily if you don't like it. as for what panel it will come with there is always a way to find out. you can take off the back of the display casing and look for the manufacturer sticker. it's really easy.

Still shows them as different it says a number of times in the article the one is still better than the other. :confused:

Most people wouldn't notice a difference before using the profile. When you get a chance look on newegg at the amount of feedback on this monitor. Out of the box no matter which one you get, it's going to be a kickass panel due to the parts being supplied by samsung. There is just going to be some tweaking needed for non S panels.

From the article that I linked:
The proof is that once it’s calibrated (with a probe), it has colors just as true as the S.

Hi there new here ..

After doing tones of reading all over the net i am still very confused i have to say ...
I want S panel not second best lol .. That's why i am buying samsung and i want samsung not some other made monitor that as samsung on it and its not ...

So my point is this are all CW the S panel as i have not seen any one say that they are and on my understand and confusion starting to wonder .I no that they got all the new 97% thing .. but is that all that's new about them to make them cost more .. And still sell use Bad monitors ..At this very moment i am using 226bw-C model which is OK but not great in alot of ways ..I play alot HLDM and play all maps some maps are blur free and others are not .. Worrying now all about this thing ... i just want to spend good money to buy one that i no is going to be fine and not have to keep mucking about with settings all the time and no blur in my games ...

Cheers i hope that some one can help tell me if the CW are S or not lets see ...

Hi,

I've tried to read through a large chunk of this thread but haven't seen exactly what I want to know.

I have a 226BW, if I connect my PVR to it using a HDMI->DVI cable, and set the PVR to output in 720p, will the monitor stretch it to fullscreen? Or will I get a small image centered on screen? Or will it keep the correct aspect ratio and I get black bars?

Just need to use the 226BW as my TV display for a temp solution as I have no space for a TV in my hostel room.

Thanks, sorry if this has already been covered in the thread.

With no black bars?

I just wonder if the picture will be distorted because the screen is 16:10 and the 720p video will be 16:9.

Well seeing as i never got any relpys to the message i left here i just try my luck and got a CW after having bad BW ...

Here are the codes: From the CW hope you can help ..
Scaler-MCU : MStar
Version :M-ME22X0CAA-10000
Checksum : F56F

Any one got any ideas If this is S panel ...

Well seeing as i never got any relpys to the message i left here i just try my luck and got a CW after having bad BW ...

Here are the codes: From the CW hope you can help ..
Scaler-MCU : MStar
Version :M-ME22X0CAA-10000
Checksum : F56F

Any one got any ideas If this is S panel ...

all the 226CWs are meant to be S panels but the 226bw is better for gaming. According to the initial reviews the CW has more input lag and the enhanced colors look a bit weird in some cases.

Hmmmm thats odd then as I am gamer and play only HL2DM . And as I said I had BW as well but that was 100% crap on desktop I was seeing lots of blur on text and colors was going form green to orange when I scroll the friends list which I have never seen before . And when say I was draging and folder there was a trial on text from the names in them folders was very nasty made me :mad: .And ingame I was all so seeing blur on some of the maps due to the lighting that was used on that map but was not the game was the monitor its self . As we all no there is still alot of confustion about the monitors .But now I am 99% happyer then when I had the BW .. Yes may be the colors can be odd at times but one click of button fixs that ...

Cheers ..:D

I was planning on gettin a 226bw but now I'm not so sure. Are there anymore S panels around frys, bestbuy, or circuit cuit? I just bought one at frys and returned it after I went to my car and opened it to find that it was an A panel. Circuit city had an A panel for the display one so I didn't bother buying one. Is there a big difference between the two besides the color profile that I can fix by downloading the samsung one? Also is the 216bw that much different because I can't seem to find anything in the specs that is different from the 226bw besides that it is 21.6in instead of 22in. Are all 216bw from samsung or are there other panels too?

216bw has dif panels as well but I'm not sure if they are designated A, C, or S. I've seen a couple with a W on back and a few with nothing on it.

OK, There are alot of pages on this topic 0.0

can someone quickly break it down? are all of the 226s TN panels?

I saw one @ bb yesterday and to my surprise it looked really good, even from the side, I wondered if it was TN since it was a 22".

OK, There are alot of pages on this topic 0.0

can someone quickly break it down? are all of the 226s TN panels?

I saw one @ bb yesterday and to my surprise it looked really good, even from the side, I wondered if it was TN since it was a 22".
Yes, all of them are TN panels, I own two of them. Best damn monitor I've ever owned. Got two S panels from Newegg back in March

I picked up a new 226BW. It was manufactured November 2007 and the rear label is actually indicating an "A". I was under the impression that the new tags no longer indicated this?? I was able to snap this quickly and unfortunately I am away on a business trip, so wont be able to power her up until the end of the week :(

Should I have any concern considering this is a new production panel?

Below is an image. Sorry for the blurry picture.

226BWRearLabel.jpg

I picked up a new 226BW. It was manufactured November 2007 and the rear label is actually indicating an "A". I was under the impression that the new tags no longer indicated this?? I was able to snap this quickly and unfortunately I am away on a business trip, so wont be able to power her up until the end of the week :(

Should I have any concern considering this is a new production panel?

Below is an image. Sorry for the blurry picture.

226BWRearLabel.jpg

that's interesting the manufacturer is showing up again. A panels are meant to be just as good as S but with slightly dif default color settings. In recent versions of the 206bw though they have calibrated the A panels to equal the S so you might be lucky.

that's interesting the manufacturer is showing up again. A panels are meant to be just as good as S but with slightly dif default color settings. In recent versions of the 206bw though they have calibrated the A panels to equal the S so you might be lucky.

I am not looking forward to adjusting the settings. With a new monitor, this should not be an issue. I knew about the so called “panel lottery" beforehand, but I played and I guess I lost :mad: Hopefully with this being a newer model, it will not be an issue.

Right now, I'm going to be running this off of a ATI 9800 Pro, until January or February when I get my new PC. I know I wont be able to get native resolution. Does anyone foresee any other issues I may run into using an older video card? Should using an older card like this affect the colors or my ability to adjust them?

Thanks!

Don't worry about it. I was concerned about the panel lottery too. I got an A panel manufactured in October and it was also labeled on the back sticker. I love it. No issues whatsoever. Colors look great and I'm coming from a Sony 19" Trinitron. I just turned down brightness and adjusted the contrast a bit. I think the panels manufactured recently have done away with the problems that were occuring earlier in the year. (I noticed recent ones show M-Star as the scaler instead of Genesis)

Don't worry about it. I was concerned about the panel lottery too. I got an A panel manufactured in October and it was also labeled on the back sticker. I love it. No issues whatsoever. Colors look great and I'm coming from a Sony 19" Trinitron. I just turned down brightness and adjusted the contrast a bit. I think the panels manufactured recently have done away with the problems that were occuring earlier in the year. (I noticed recent ones show M-Star as the scaler instead of Genesis)

is it still painfuly obvious that you're using a TN panel? or have they come a long way?

is it still painfuly obvious that you're using a TN panel? or have they come a long way?

Well, my comments were in regards to the panel situation. I read all the issues that people were having with earlier panels. I'm very pleased with what I got.

Now as far as it being a TN panel, I went into this purchase knowing it's cons. Issues that kept me in the CRT club in years past like ghosting are no longer an issue. The black colors are reproduced much better than some of the earlier LCD's that I experimented with. I'm still trying to get used to the viewing angle limitations. The slightest change in my sitting position can alter the color. I have a a bit of color banding in certain situations. Disabling RTA fixed some odd banding in games like BF2142. I haven't really noticed any input lag problems. I wanted a 22 inch widescreen and the low price of a TN panel without ghosting fit the bill. My Trinitron was starting to die with retrace lines being more and more pronounced. I could go on and post about things I liked better when using the Trinitron, but the 226BW has met my expectations for a TN panel.

I think it is still very painfully obvious. I had the 226BW and I finally sold it and bought a 24" non-TN panel. The Samsung is a fine product but I just couldn't get used to the TN panels.

As long as you know what you are getting, I think the Samsung is as good a product as any, but it is still a TN panel and in my opinion it just doesn't quite get the job done.

Can anyone tell me what panel mine is?

Here's the details:

Scaler-MCU: Mstar
Version: M-ME22H0CAA 1002
Checksum: 6F39

I was just given one of these to me for christmas. using through vga, with 1680x1050 dementions. one concern I have though is often my eyes will be at about 2-3 inches above from where the bottem of the screen starts, with it slightly angled away from me (about 6-10 degrees I guess, on its base). sitting about 40 inches away, much of the top is all discolored from the angle.

Is there a way to fix this, and if not, is there a better monitor to get? (22" ws 1680x1050)

edit: well I found that I can adjust on the angle its set to, but my question stands.

I was just given one of these to me for christmas. using through vga, with 1680x1050 dementions. one concern I have though is often my eyes will be at about 2-3 inches above from where the bottem of the screen starts, with it slightly angled away from me (about 6-10 degrees I guess, on its base). sitting about 40 inches away, much of the top is all discolored from the angle.

Is there a way to fix this, and if not, is there a better monitor to get? (22" ws 1680x1050)

edit: well I found that I can adjust on the angle its set to, but my question stands.

Unfortunately nearly all 22" panels have issues with viewing angles, especially from below. This is because they are nearly all TN panels. The few that aren't TN panels are prohibitively expensive. The actual LCD panels available in 22" that the manufacturers use are largely TN.

Your only real solutions are to either pay for one of the more expensive 22", or change size to a 24" or 20". That or rearrange your situation if possible so that the monitor isnt in a strange place floating above your head.

Can you guys tell me what I have?
Model Code : LS22MEHSFV/XAA
Made in Zhongshan
China (Dongyu)
Manufactured October 2007
Color Display Unit Type No.: GH22WS

Thanx

Can you guys tell me what I have?
Model Code : LS22MEHSFV/XAA
Made in Zhongshan
China (Dongyu)
Manufactured October 2007
Color Display Unit Type No.: GH22WS

Thanx

Open the service menu and look at the version number:-

Example - M-ME22H0CAA 1002

Then use the info below to determine what panel you have.

* X-xxxxxxxAx-xxxx: Samsung panel.
* X-xxxxxxxLx-xxxx: AU Optronics panel.
* X-xxxxxxxDx-xxxx: CMO panel.
* X-xxxxxxxIx-xxxx: CPT panel.

Thus a monitor with M-ME22H0CAA 1002 version number is a S-panel.

Back