Samsung 226BW 22": 3000:1 Contrast, 2ms response time

That's kind of strange. I can still choose a different resolution in steam games. Weird thing is: i get the option of running basically every 16:10 resolution EXCEPT for 1440x900

That's kind of strange. I can still choose a different resolution in steam games. Weird thing is: i get the option of running basically every 16:10 resolution EXCEPT for 1440x900

I cant seem to find any setting anywhere that would change this.

Which panel do you have? If you can select different resolutions maybe this would vary from panel to panel? (I've got the 'C' panel)

Well lucky you. Maybe we've discovered another difference.

Nah, i wouldn't say lucky. To be completely honest, I am a little fed up with ALL 22" models by now. Coming from S-IPS 4:3 HP 2065 and 20" P-MVA Acer AL2051W, all the current TN panels piss me off. TN is, in my honest view, an extremely annyoing technology that should just go away forever. Sure it's cheap and sure it has great response times, but the picture quality is just so bad that i wish i never had fallen for the marketing 22" 2ms trap.

I'm fairly happy with the TN panels I've seen and used. Although my standards may not be very high.

My last TN, the Sceptre x22wg-Gamer, I liked better than this Samsung 226BW. The Sceptre looked a bit better IMO, and had the 1:1 pixel mapping (which doesnt really matter I guess with the Nvidia driver "centered output" option) and it did more resolutions than the 226BW--for example in Counter-Strike: Source like I mentioned above.

Because it had HDMI, it did 720 and 1080 resolutions and looked great. The Xbox 360 looked awesome on it at 1920x1080. With the Samsung, I run it at 1360x768 and it looks good, but slightly less sharp and there is some noticeable tearing.

My biggest complaint with the 226BW so far though, is the limited amount of resolutions I can choose from in games. Stalker for example, the only resolution that looks right is 1680x1050 or maybe 1600x900, and my framerate dips too low at those settings. With the Sceptre, I could play at 1280x720 and it looked and ran fabulously. It's almost like the Sceptre had three different native resolutions, 1680x1050, 720, and 1080. Too bad the damn thing had a faulty DVI port.

Anyways, just a harmless rant from me. I'm satisfied enough for now with my 226BW.

Nah, i wouldn't say lucky. To be completely honest, I am a little fed up with ALL 22" models by now. Coming from S-IPS 4:3 HP 2065 and 20" P-MVA Acer AL2051W, all the current TN panels piss me off. TN is, in my honest view, an extremely annyoing technology that should just go away forever. Sure it's cheap and sure it has great response times, but the picture quality is just so bad that i wish i never had fallen for the marketing 22" 2ms trap.

I agree, i thought the Samsung had a great case, good specs, etc... but I ended up returning it and saving some money by buying a Dell 2007wfp which has a WAY better panel, WAY better stand and WAY better inputs. If the 226bw is the top of the class (besides eizo) for 22" then the rest must be pretty sad. I thought even with calibration the 226bw panel lacked a lot of things. I see TN panels being useful for only one section of users, gamers. 22" is a nice size I just wish they made some with decent panels with prices around $400-500.

Why is TN good for gaming, and other LCD's not?

They were often the gamers' choice because they're cheap and have little ghosting. However, other technologies (such as IPS and various VA monitors) now have very quick response times so are also good for gaming, however the other qualities they offer (such as better viewing angles) means they come at a price.

ghosting is pretty much a non-issue for most monitors these days regardless of screen technology. I don't notice much if any ghosting on the 2007wfp. Plus, some TN panels use overdrive to boost response which can create a blur during fast sequences. Don't buy TN.

Not to be off topic, but I have a 216bw that looks identical to the 226, except that it's .4'' smaller. Its Mfr. number is LS22MEVSFV/XAA, so does anyone have any idea which panel I have? Tried googling for it and no luck. :eek:

Random Guy

How do you say so surely? I can surely say my panel was a C panel from China and it was made in that Slovakian factory. My monitor is back in the comfort of PCWORLD shelf.

Checking Your Samsung 226BW Mystery Monitor

Read that thread!

That is for those who are desperate. I am afraid to do that adventure anyway!! :D :D

So far the model of panels used by Samsung in 226BW are,

S Panel: LTM220M1
A Panel: AU M220EW01
C Panel: CMO M220Z1
CPT Panel???

I checked PCWORLD store for panel they have in stock. They all have been Slovakian R panels of whch the A, C or S numbers have been removed in the model label and service menu. So even so called Samsung's Slovakian plant still produces A and C panels. At least in June 2007!! Samsung's claim that they now exclusively ship S panels is still not confirmed. They may be still dispersing the A and C panels they have.

I certainly cannot live with my Viewsonic 19" now. But no more 226BW. I will wait till 226CW appears in the market and decide.

Hi kaushama,

the reasons I am convinced of my panel being an 'S' are: -

1. Had a C Panel before, this one is better.

2. It does not exhibit the blue tinge that A panels do.

You sound convinced that your panel is a 'C'. I am not clear on how you came to that conclusion if you did not perform the test in the link you sent me. Can you explain how you discovered it was a 'C' panel?

Either way, I am happy with my monitor. It has an unbeatable price/performance ratio, looks sexy, and performs as advertised. What more can you ask for?

Either way, I am happy with my monitor. It has an unbeatable price/performance ratio, looks sexy, and performs as advertised. What more can you ask for?

Better colors/viewing angles/backlight maybe? However, at least you're happy and in the end that's all that matters.

I never said I didn't do the test!! :D :D :D I said it is for those who are very brave! What if I bacame very brave?

It was a C panel from China and version 2 or something. That may be the reason it didn't have H shape blacklight bleed!

Have you seen this??

http://www1.hardwareversand.de/6V2eFx3QIwiZM0/1/articledetail.jsp?agid=603&aid=10362&lid=2

It looks nice, but I am happy with the BW. Buy a CW and a few months down the line something else will come out that is better. You have to jump on the boat sometime :)

i'd agree, if you're happy with what you have then keep it. i found the C panel was pretty ass end, the A panel was very very nice once i got the colours set. in fact, i couldn't tell the difference between that and the S panel.

that being said, anyone who's looking to buy i'd say wait for the 226CW as there's no panel lottery BS with that one - or so they say.

i found the C panel was pretty ass end

I have a 'C' panel. It looks pretty damn good to me. :confused:

As a matter of fact I have absolutely no gripes with the image quality--as well as colors and backlight bleed. Only complaint I have is the limited resolutions, but that's just how this display is.

Code:
Samsung SyncMaster 226CW, 22", 2ms, DVI 
is currently available (17) in our shop.
Without reservation we cannot guarantee you obligatory availability.

This is the email I got from http://www1.hardwareversand.de/6V2eFx3QIwiZM0/1/articledetail.jsp?agid=603&aid=10362&lid=2 and I ordered one. Its 268£ Including shipping and I think is a good price against 249 I paid for C panel of 226BW at PCVWORLD.

I will get it next week and will post my impressions. If CW is available why not grab it as I already returned my C panel BW!! :D :cool:

well thats good news that the CW model is starting to trickle down to the retailers, even if it is just the beginning. i'm waiting for FS to get them myself. best buy had them listed as out of stock but they've taken it off their site now....yay. guess they want to build up stock.

I think the cw model has a higher color gamut at 92% or something and maybe theyre only s panels.

yes, the only real change is that the CW model has improved backlighting increasing the colour gamut to 92% and supposedly samsung can't contract out to other companies as the others can't get the improve backlighting right.

thats what i've read, but hell its all rumor mill until this damn thing gets on the market. it was supposed to be 'early summer' so god only knows.

yes, the only real change is that the CW model has improved backlighting increasing the colour gamut to 92% and supposedly samsung can't contract out to other companies as the others can't get the improve backlighting right.

thats what i've read, but hell its all rumor mill until this damn thing gets on the market. it was supposed to be 'early summer' so god only knows.

I saw several CWs boxed up at Best Buy here in Los Angeles today. None on display since they are so new but they are definately out there.

I saw several CWs boxed up at Best Buy here in Los Angeles today. None on display since they are so new but they are definately out there.

good news indeed, i'm really hoping before the end of this month. preferably next week while i'm on vacation to enjoy it:)

I also still have my Ergotron Neo-Flex stand and it works good for this LCD. One problem was that the screws that came with the stand didnt seem to screw into the back of the 226BW (wrong size), so I just took the three screws from the 226BW's stock stand. Problem there is the 226BW's stand only had three screws where as the Neo-Flex stand needs four. So for the time being three screws will have to do.

That's weird. The Neo-Flex LCD Stand (33-311-060) I just ordered from Staples came in today and the screws work just fine. It came with 3 sets of four screws: one set of traditional Phillips head, one sets of thumb screw, and one extra-long phillips head for use with the adapter. The first and second set work just fine.

Maybe you have the older version? I was at my local Staples a couple of weeks ago and noticed that they had two different retail boxes for the Neo-Flex stand, and one was older than the other and was a different color.

OK I have got my 226CW! Back label again says 226CW [R] Oh oh! Its made in Slovakia.

Why [R] ???? Samsung is again upto old panel game? Do they implement new color gamut and back light system at their plants to A and C models also??? These were my initial thoughts and I became brave again!!! :D

Its LTM220M2 L01 made in Korea!! I am happy So is it a new version of well reputed S panel (LTM220M1) ?

The colour and contrast is brilliant! I do not see any change in backlight bleed in upper and lower corners due to new backlight implementation.

One of my online gaming friends actually has the 226CW and he doesn't like it. He said it's blurry and not sharp so he's going to return it and stick with his 226BW. Maybe he got a bad one/panel version?

OK I have got my 226CW! Back label again says 226CW [R] Oh oh! Its made in Slovakia.

Why [R] ???? Samsung is again upto old panel game? Do they implement new color gamut and back light system at their plants to A and C models also??? These were my initial thoughts and I became brave again!!! :D

Its LTM220M2 L01 made in Korea!! I am happy So is it a new version of well reputed S panel (LTM220M1) ?

The colour and contrast is brilliant! I do not see any change in backlight bleed in upper and lower corners due to new backlight implementation.

I believe the R you are seeing is normal and not an indicator of a model or variant. In some pictures I've seen that people have posted on-line in regards to the BW lottery the [R] always followed the model and came before the variant, i.e 226BW [R] S (or A or C).

http://www.behardware.com/articles/667-1/samsung-226bw-a-and-s-series-the-verdict.html

Hi Kaushama, please post some more feedback, someone else said "He said it's blurry and not sharp so he's going to return it and stick with his 226BW", whos knows it could have been set at the wrong resolution.

Thanks

I'm actually selling an S panel if anyone wants it. I sold my S panel on Ebay but the winning buyer disappeared without payment, so I'm relisting the S panel.

Just do a search for 226bw on Ebay (highlighted in purple, bid/buy it now will be up for 10 days). S panels are low on supply and high in demand. Most just risk buying a 226bw without knowing if it's an A, C, or S panel, so you can get it from me if you don't want to gamble.

- 7/27/2007

I've heard rumors that Circuit City held S panels and that all new shipments to the States are S panels.

I think people who start those rumors are taking Samsung too literally. They consider every part of the monitor to be officially, genuine Samsung with a capital S and don't really acknowledge S vs. C vs. A panels. They've said all along they're all Samsung panels, but it doesn't mean a wave of pure 220M1 panels is always just around the corner. The C panel I got to replace my A was manufactured in July 2007 in China. Not going to crack it open (panel info removed) but it exhibits blockiness when moving the MS Paint palette, a white afterimage with RTA enabled vs. A panel, and a bit less uniform/more bleeding backlight vs. A panel. The dithering problem of my A however was too much.

I just purchased the Samsung 226cw and the HP w2207. They are both hooked up side by side right now and uncalibrated. The out of box state for the Samsung is a freaking joke... it needs some SERIOUS work I think to look decent. It is pushing reds HARD and also has a horrid viewing angle.... Right now I have them in clone mode and running some tests. The HP on the other hand looks dead sexy right out of the box... but I don't know if I can handle the glossy screen.

They both are light years ahead of the 2 acer AL2223W's I was using though. If requested I could take pictures of them later this evening with a crappy point and shoot canon. My SLR is getting fixed right now :*(

Back