Samsung 226BW 22": 3000:1 Contrast, 2ms response time

I have an A panel and the more I use it the more I am convinced that way too much is being made of this S vs A thing. This monitor looks great. I did take some time adjusting the colors to get it to look good because like I said before, the default colors are crap.

Add a $29 stand to get height, tilt and spin adjustments and this monitor is awesome. The backlight bleed is not that bad and even on this forum with the black background you don't see it. Really, if you're considering this monitor and get an A panel I seriously doubt you'll be disappointed. It is bright, it has great contrast, it has awesome response time it has a three year warranty and it's priced well. Read the LG thread, they say those have more bleed even than the A panels.

It's just my opinion as an owner of this monitor - even the A panels are awesome. If you get an S monitor, it's awesome +1. Either way I'm sure you'll be very happy with it.

I have an A panel and the more I use it the more I am convinced that way too much is being made of this S vs A thing. This monitor looks great. I did take some time adjusting the colors to get it to look good because like I said before, the default colors are crap.

Add a $29 stand to get height, tilt and spin adjustments and this monitor is awesome. The backlight bleed is not that bad and even on this forum with the black background you don't see it. Really, if you're considering this monitor and get an A panel I seriously doubt you'll be disappointed. It is bright, it has great contrast, it has awesome response time it has a three year warranty and it's priced well. Read the LG thread, they say those have more bleed even than the A panels.

It's just my opinion as an owner of this monitor - even the A panels are awesome. If you get an S monitor, it's awesome +1. Either way I'm sure you'll be very happy with it.

I'm still struggling with the backlight bleed and the color difference between stuff viewed at the top and bottom of the panel. I think I need to go back to the store and took a close look at the 22" Gateway again to make sure it's not a better fit for me. I know it's not quite as fast/bright as this display but if it's more accurate maybe I will prefer it.

The info you guys are looking for is right in this thread.

To summarize, there are two panel types and both are TN. The "S" panel is produced directly by Samsung and is an "A++" rated panel. On average people have not reported bad bleeding problems with this panel.

The "A" panel is made by AOU and is an "A" rated panel. They have on average seemed to exhibit more backlight bleed (obviously there's no hard data on this).

Both panels have the same specifications.

i'm not sure where this S = A++ and A = A thing has come from....other than perhaps someone thinking they'd label the panels in this way for some unknown reason?

i'm not sure where this S = A++ and A = A thing has come from....other than perhaps someone thinking they'd label the panels in this way for some unknown reason?

It came from a Chinese review site, maybe the rating is something that is used in other parts of the world to rate the panel.

I ordered the 226BW from Circuit City last week and received it yesterday. It’s a “A” panel—if that has any relevance to the problem I’ll describe below.

Out of the box, I was really disappointed with the image quality, but after tweaking various monitor settings as well as the Catalyst settings for my Radeon X850 video card, I am overall very happy the image quality for all applications with the very notable exception of DVD playback. DVD’s look horrendous on this monitor—compression artifacts pop out like crazy. Solid colors don’t look uniform (i.e., solid blue/purple colors seem pixilated like crazy). This monitor displays photos and other apps beautifully, but I can’t believe how bad DVD’s look.

I’ve literally tweaked every imaginable monitor setting, Catalyst driver settings, and DVD player settings to try to resolve the problem. I have the monitor connected with a DVI cable, but have the same issues when using an Analog/VGA cable as well.

Does anyone else have this concern with the quality of DVD playback on this monitor?

Any help or insight would be appreciated!!!

How are you determining that it's a "T" panel? There should be an "A" or "S" designator after the model number on the back of the display.

You should take a picture of where you got this T from, we'll tell you if that is right or not. I highly doubt there's another one, but it's not out of the realm of possibilities!

In an effort to make this the longest thread on the forum... (not really)

The "big problem" that gathered all the attention on here was the S panel vs. the A panel and backlight bleed. I have the A panel and the backlight bleed is not bad. It's not bad at all.

My opinion is there is a much more significant problem and that is viewing angle. The difference from the top to the bottom of this monitor can be significant. My question is - is it this monitor or is it all TN displays? I know it is one of inherent problems with TN displays. Is this one worse than others. If it wasn't for that, I would say this monitor is almost perfect. I think you are looking past an issue that is more noticeable - the viewing angle.

If it is just a problem with TN panels, then which non-TN 22" would be the one to get? I would consider spending more to get a better display. The downside is you probably give up response time.

What do you think?

I have an S panel. This is a great LCD. I just need recommendations on a free-standing monitor mount for this LCD. I want to have pivot, height, and more tilt adjustment.

How are you determining that it's a "T" panel? There should be an "A" or "S" designator after the model number on the back of the display.

Sorry... Noob brain f**t. Didn't mean to type "T". It's definitely an "A" panel.

ergotron neo-flex. Could be found at staples for $30 or less a while back. Dont know if they carry em currently or what, but it height adjusts, swivels, and pivots. Very solid in construction and vesa 100 compliant.

How do I tell which panel it is? :confused:

Also, the monitor seems too bright with its default 100 brightness and 75 sharpness...what do you guys have it on?

How do I tell which panel it is? :confused:

Also, the monitor seems too bright with its default 100 brightness and 75 sharpness...what do you guys have it on?

Look at the model number printed on the label on the back of the display (where you have the cover popped off) following the model number there is an "A" or an "S"

If it is just a problem with TN panels, then which non-TN 22" would be the one to get?

I don't think non-TN 22" panels exist; and if they do, they'd be out of a lot of peoples' price range.

I, too, want to know if the 'washed-out' effect that people experience at the bottom of 226BW panels is the same with all TN panels- if so, then i'd get the Samsung straight away; if not, there must be some without the 'washed-out' effect, right?

Now I buy 226BW in Poland - panel "S". What brightens and contrast is the best for this lcd? This is my first lcd (old 17"crt) and i dont know his setings...

Just looked through next week's CC ad and they have the LG L226WT for 339 The Samsug 226BW is still at 379.

I might just pick up the LG at the lower price and even use that 10% coupon from the E-bay guy.

grimace15! Thats a good price! I have both monitors (L226wt and Sam226bw s panel).To me they are very much the same except LG does have alittle more backlight bleed.Very Happy with both!

Can somebody do me a favor and measure the width of just the screen (minus the bezel)?I'm assuming it's the same 18 5/8 as the LG, but I'd like to know before I pick one or the other.

I just picked up a 226BW from my local CircuitCity. It's an 'A' model manufactured in January 2007.

Connected via DVI to a laptop (desktop with 8800 arrives later). No clouding, no dead pixels. (so far so good) Backlight bleeding is marginal, and I do notice some color shifting along the bottom as other people here have posted.

What bothers me the most though is I detect a lot of dithering in dark areas of photos. Is this indicative of this family of flat panels? I use a 2407 (a bit too expensive to buy for home) at work, and the same set of photos look awesome.

Does anyone else notice this on their 226's, or could it caused by my laptop's crappy integrated video? I'm hoping this will go away when I switch to my new desktop, but this has me concerned.

To expound on the dithering problem...

On this (http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/) site, Contrast test boxes 2, 3, and 4 look especially noisy.

What settings does everyone use for contrast/brightness/color to optimize their 226bw displays?

TIA

this panel switching should clearly be illegal

at least samsung is putting A vs S on the display but it really should be on the box

I also have an A panel and see the banding. On my Dell 1900FP I see none. The Dell is about 5 years old, not as bright as the 226 but apparently a much better panel. But, that monitor was also almost $900.

I think the S panels are going to show the same thing. I think the bigger issue is that these are TN panels. I really don't thin the quality of S vs A is going to turn out to be a big deal at all.

In my opinion, the test for this monitor isn't an A or an S. The test for this and all TN panels is the viewing angle. We have taken this monitor and put it under a microscope. This thread has talked about almost every aspect of this monitor and for the most part it has passed with flying colors. Pun intended.

Don't focus on if you get an A or an S. Focus on if you want a TN panel or not. While I'm a bit disappointed with the viewing angles of TN panel, I'm still pretty darn happy with this monitor.

I traded in my A panel because of a dead pixel and got an S panel.

There's banding on the left side of that gradient test if I sit about 2 feet away from the monitor

Hi
I just got mine last night from newegg,its an S panel.

p1020252wv9.jpg

According to Newegg...

Newegg.com sells many products such as Notebooks and Monitors that feature LCD (Liquid Crystal Display) screens. Newegg.com adheres to the dead-pixel policy that is observed by the majority of our manufacturers. In order to declare any product with an LCD screen "defective" and eligible for replacement or refund through any applicable Newegg.com Return Policy, there must be a minimum of 8 (eight) dead LCD pixels.
So does this mean if the monitor comes and has seven dead pixels, I can't return it??

Sure sounds like it to me.

yea, and the manufacturer would be even worse, you need so many pixels per square inch usually. However, I have not had any dead pixels on my screen which is nice, and it was from newegg.

Don't know about the US but in Australia Samsung has the best (by far) dead pixel policy, replacing them if they have just one.

Well screw that. I'm canceling my order from Newegg. I can't risk that hassle.

Here is a new set of pics of my Sam226BW and LG L226wt!Still using old camera!will be getting new one early next month,with better pics then.Update!! I have noticed that Imageshack takes away from the quality a bit.More grainy and that bluish color on the duck really isnt there.

Back