Samsung 226BW 22": 3000:1 Contrast, 2ms response time

So is it safe to say that the general consensus is that there is little question the A panel is inferior to the S panel?

Is the A panel bad enough that it should be avoided? If so, what would you buy instead?

So is it safe to say that the general consensus is that there is little question the A panel is inferior to the S panel?

Is the A panel bad enough that it should be avoided? If so, what would you buy instead?

Only people who have had both "A" and "S" panels can really make that statement. The "A" panel I have is quite nice now that it's calibrated, but the bottom backlight bleed is a bit of a let down. I don't know if an "S" panel would be any better in this regard as all of these panels seem to exhibit some backlight bleed.

Here's what I mean, the first picture is a shot of the desktop taken with a handheld digital camera at ISO400 and resized, the second picture is of a black background for checking backlight bleeding;

IMG_0672_1.jpg

IMG_0670.jpg

Ok guys, here's a pic of both panels, the right side is A" panel

I'm using two different video cards, both VGA, one from my laptop and one from desktop, and the display resolutions were slightly different on each, (next time i post, i'll make sure they have the same settings, don't have time right now).

I've hookied up each monitor to my desktop one at a time, and the only differences i can see is a little more bleeding on the a" panel. and they display colors a little differently. The fonts are also slightly, only slightly, harder to read on the a" panel, I can't judge for any differences when gaming cause i don't game, but watching a DVD on both panels looked pretty good.

If your thinking of getting this panel, I think u should pick it up! The color and resolution is the best I've scene on any TN panel, and obviously the display isn't as good as higher end panels, but it's still pretty damn good.

I'm expecting my new video card this week, and will make sure to take more pics, for a better comparison for you guys.

I spent some time with the LG 226WT at Best Buy...they let me connect it to a PC rather than the stock rotating images. Having just seen Sammy 226BW ("S") at Circuit City 2 blocks from Best Buy, which was actually connected at DVI, I was expecting the VGA connected LG to be 2nd place. Pleasant surprise...gotta tell you, the LG was a beauty. Stock photos, pure blacks, all looked great. certainly no problem reproducing yellow. There WAS a blue tint in certain F-Engine modes but at "normal" mode setting this thing was gorgeous and I found the display overall more natural than the Samsung.

Tough call...if I could be sure of a Sammy 226BW "S" panel with no hassle I'd probably go for it but the LG is starting to top my list. No guesswork and it really looked great when i put it through its paces.

Just my 2cents.

LW

I picked up my 226bw at Circuit City and it came with an A panel. I tried my HD cable box and computer through DVI, both produced some very bad gradients and banding. In fairness I might have a bad monitor or I am hoping, as I have not seen a monitor produce this bad of a picture through DVI. I ran the VGA with my 360 and that produced an excellent picture. The only thing that was killing that though was the backlight bleed. It was way to much especially when in the caves or ruins in Oblivion. I am going to try another one, but Circuit City does not have any in stock. Ill post back when I manage to get an exchange.

Is that photo linked to a larger image; because if it is i can't get it and i'm eager to see it! :p

Of what value can it be when the two displays are connected to completely different video cards via analog?

Until someone gets an "A" panel and an "S" panel and hooks them up via a dual head DVI to the same video card and calibrates them we really aren't going to know if the differences in the panels is due to manufacturing tolerances or if there's something really going on.

What about the concept of taking the display panel as someone suggested. I know the CC near me has an S panel as a display model. By the way, after I explained to them what is going on with the A and S panels, they said they would waive the return policy thing so I could look at the panel in the store. Mine is being delivered to the store, not to my house. So before I take it home they will let me look at the panel to see what it is. If it is an S panel I'll take it. If it is an A panel I have a choice to make. Either pass on the whole deal or consider swapping for the display model. What do you think?

I am currently using a Dell 19" Ultra Sharp monitor. It is about 5 years old and has absolutely no backlight bleed. This is an awesome monitor. I might be spoiled. I think any backlight bleed might really bother me. Are the Dell's any better about the bleed? From what I've read, the Dell 22" isn't that great either.

What about the concept of taking the display panel as someone suggested. I know the CC near me has an S panel as a display model. By the way, after I explained to them what is going on with the A and S panels, they said they would waive the return policy thing so I could look at the panel in the store. Mine is being delivered to the store, not to my house. So before I take it home they will let me look at the panel to see what it is. If it is an S panel I'll take it. If it is an A panel I have a choice to make. Either pass on the whole deal or consider swapping for the display model. What do you think?

I am currently using a Dell 19" Ultra Sharp monitor. It is about 5 years old and has absolutely no backlight bleed. This is an awesome monitor. I might be spoiled. I think any backlight bleed might really bother me. Are the Dell's any better about the bleed? From what I've read, the Dell 22" isn't that great either.

I think that the backlighting on these things can be pretty bad and inconsistent. The color on the tool bars on windows changes on mine from one part of the screen to the next and I can see by moving the window around on the screen that it is directly related to the backlighting issues I highlighted in my post with pictures above.

I am definitely going to be looking at swapping mine in the hopes of getting one that doesn't have as bad of a backlight problem.

The sad fact is that all of these panels have backlight problems to one degree or another. The sad thing is that my 3+ year old Dell 20.1 LCD doesn't have any inconsistency in lighting or color.

Is it just me!or does it seem that since the 22"wide screen panels came out you hear alot more about backlight bleed?.Could it be that its a comination of larger size and widescreen that may cause more bleeding.I dont think i have yet to hear about a 22" without a backbleed issue.Has there been an issue of backbleed with smaller or non widescreen monitors?Just something to think about!

Is it just me!or does it seem that since the 22"wide screen panels came out you hear alot more about backlight bleed?.Could it be that its a comination of larger size and widescreen that may cause more bleeding.I dont think i have yet to hear about a 22" without a backbleed issue.Has there been an issue of backbleed with smaller or non widescreen monitors?Just something to think about!

I think it's a combination of what you describe and also that we are looking for brighter and brighter displays that approximate more closely what a picture tube looks like.

There definitely ARE panels with little to no backlight bleed issues but out of the lower priced panels there doesn't seem to be much available that is not affected to some degree or another.

wow, what a massive thread! Just read through most of this, and there are a few things which bother me, and i think more people need to be aware of.

Firstly, there is NO AOC panel! AOC are a small screen manufacturer, they do not make their own LCD panels. There are two panels:

1. Samsung's own TN Film panel, the LTM220M1
2. AU Optronics' TN Film panel (not AOC, but AUO ) the M220EW01.

So that's the main confusion which seems to have started quite early on in the thread, with statements about an "AOC" panel. Anyway, it's not uncommon for manufacturers to utilise different panels in their screens, depending on availability, release dates, stock, price etc. Samsung and LG do it quite often, and accessing factory menus on their models often reveals configurations for various different options. In this particular case, Samsung have shipped the SM226BW with either their own Samsung panel (shown in factory menu by the 220M1 reference as above, and seemingly by an "S on the sticker on the back). Or they have shipped the screen with an AU Optronics panel, again shown by it's reference in the OSD, and by an "A" on the back.

What worries me though, is that from a very early point in this thread, it was mentioned there was an "A" version of the screen, and immediately, a lot of people started jumping on the bandwagon and saying it was inferior, and that somehow the AUO version was much much worse. "How could Samsung do this to us?"...."I won't settle for an "A" version...i want my "better S version"!! This person said one of the more informed and sensible things I think:

Everything else you said is correct, but please everybody remember that the panel Samsung is switching to is not "AOC" but made by "AU Optronics" also known as "AUO". Proof for this was posted when someone posted the images of "A" and "S" model OSD's which show the panel models. AOC is an Chinese/Japanese/Korean/whatever manufacturer of TFT-displays, like Viewsonic for example. AUO is the biggest Korean manufacturer of TFT-panels.

S-model has this panel: http://www.samsung.com/Products/TFTLCD/Monitor/LTM220M1/LTM220M1.htm
A-model has this panel: http://www.auo.com/auoDEV/products.php?sec=monitor&func=info&product_id=72&items_id=1That

Basically AUO is a good panel manufacturer and most people consider their panels better than ChiMei's panels (those are used in LG L226WT for instance), but it is starting to seem that this thime AUO's panel is not very good.

Even though I'd like to see some side-by-side photos before saying my final thoughts because it is impossible to compare two separate pictures taken about backlight bleeding because the way the picture looks like depends too much on camera, on ambient lightning, etc.

AU Optronics are one of the main, if not THE main, manufacturers of LCD displays in the monitor market. They don't normally make duff panels, let's just say that. Those who immediately started moaning about the AUO version should probably be a little more reserved before jumping to conclusions imo. This isn't the same as Dell's panel lottery, something which I know is almost a sore spot for people it seems. There are big talks about it on here, and elsewhere. However, what Dell have done with their S-PVA vs S-IPS lottery in the 2007 models is quite different. Yes, they are different. I think a large part of the 'hysteria' about it is out of proportion myself, but that is more of a significant change than we are seeing here with the Samsung SM226BW. Don't let what Dell have done make you immediately draw conclusions about other manufacturers. This has been done for a long time by many display providers :)

AUO are a reputable and very highly regarded panel manufacturer. the panel being used is an extension of that used also in the Iiyama E2200WS and Belinea 2225S1W, which are quite popular as well. Samsung have very likely supplied the screen with the intent of using their own TN Film panel, but probably due to availability, have had to use a very similar panel from AU Optronics. If demand is high, they will do that, but it doesn't automaitcally mean one is better than the other by the extent some people seem to be thinking here!

Does anyone have a factual basis for the concern that "A" panel is inferior to "S" panel? I'm wondering if this forum has tried and convicted Samsung based on a perception of duplicitous business practices, but my primary interest at this point is whether the aftual TN panel quality is or isn't equivalenty between the "S" versus "A" panel. If AUO was subcontracted to produce the identical panel specifications and is a reputable manufacturer, perhaps this debate may be "much ado about nothing."

Anyone have objective comparison data or even an "educated set of eyes" to offer a difference between these 2 similarly spec'd panels?

Thanks to all for an interesting thread!

I think that's a very good point too. It seems people are siting two problems with the AUO version:

- backlight bleeding / panel uniformity issues
- colour banding and over-saturation of colours

If you read through this thread there are also many many people who are very happy with their screens. Panel uniformity is down to manufacturing processes more than anything. Different panels being used should have very limited / no impact on this issue, and i'd imagine any differences are probably coincidental. You can see bad bleeding on many different panels. For instance, the S-IPS panel (S-IPS being the "favourite" round here it seems for one reason or another) had some very bad and notorious issues on the Dell 2005FPW. That didn't mean that everyone started saying all S-IPS panels from LG.Philips were rubbish though ;)

Colour banding and accuracy also is a bit of a hard one to gauge. One user said they had both versions, and says the colours looked better on the Samsung panel. However, they also admit that they never calibrated the screen and just plugged it in and played. Colour accuracy out of the box CAN and WILL vary greatly from one panel to another. Samsung are actually pretty good with their out-of-the-box calibration and so this might well explain the issue here. Yes, The Samsung version might well be more accurately and evenly set up from the outset, but that doesn't mean the AUO panel is crap! If you calibrated the screen properly, or even with software methods, i would suggest results would be somewhat improved. Colour banding can also be accentuated by poor set up and calibration. Poor initial factory settings might well be to blame for the apparent perceived differences people are seeing here, and for those who have managed to try both versions. I would be very surprised if this could not be corrected though with the right methods.

there's too much elite-ism going on here....far too much talk of S >>>> A!

Has anyone tried claibrating the AUO version properly? Does this help eliminate the brightness issues and colour inaccuracies?

Remember, there are still a lot of positive comments here and elsewhere about both versions....

OK, I've done a "professional" calibration on this display with Colorvision's Spyder2Express product and it has made a pretty serious improvement. The before/after changes make it pretty evident that the default color on the display has a serious blue shift.

Color for photo work is now highly accepteable. I don't see any banding on photos taken with my Canon 20D SLR camera.

The only outstanding issue now is the noticeable and annoying light bleed at the bottom of the display. I will spend the next week deciding if it is bad enough that the display will have to be swapped out.

Ah, answers my question then (while I'm compiling this reply!)....seems to confirm my suspicions. Hope you get the backlight bleed sorted soon!

Like I posted earlier, I dont think there is a difference between the AUO and the Samsung panel, they have the same specs. People here are just freaking out and making assumptions about which is better.

My S panel has very uneven lighting. When I display a beautiful girl (clothed :D )as my desktop, her skin tones at the bottom are much brighter compared to the top. I didn't do any sort of obsessive compulsive testing to determine this, it was just something that caught my attention and annoyed me. Do I jump to rash conclusions that ALL S panels are bad??

No.

I just need to go back to CircuitCity and replace me monitor. :rolleyes:

Exactly!! :)

Same thing with the 226BW,
the Samsung panel is rated A++
the other panel is rated A

Where does that come from?

---------------------
So which panel would I get? - I would imagine that Samsung started shipping the screen with their Samsung panel as intended. High demand, and limited stock of the panels (I've seen this before with other models, for example the Hyundai N91W was in high demand, but later withdrawn due to a lack of the Samsung panel being available) probably led them to seek panels from elsewhere. AUO make very good panels, and are one of the main manufacturers. I would imagine certain shipments (maybe even continuing now?) are using the AUO panel. Before you jump on the bandwagon, please consider my comments above about A vs S!!

Has anyone tried claibrating the AUO version properly? Does this help eliminate the brightness issues and colour inaccuracies?

Yes, I've calibrated my AUO version with Spyder2 and although it fixed contrast and color right up (to the point that they are on par with a good CRT) the lighting uniformity on this panel is really, really bad, to the point that it's actually distracting.

I am hoping Circuit gets some more of these in the local stores so I can do a swapout.

oh noes! badd must be a viral marketer for samsung!! [/sarcasm] haha i'm surprised you didnt cover any of "that" part of the thread because for trying to get out pretty much exactly what you said some crazy person came on here and started flaming me for it thinking i must work for samsung. I even said the exact same thing about backlight bleeding, since of course it will vary on the assembly batch by batch, not by which panel was used, of course that freaked whats his name out even moreso.

well aside from the AOC thing, i'm pretty sure i said AU through most of it, really though people didnt care what company it was, it didn't change their concern whether it was AOC or AU, but i think most people got it right.

Yes, I've calibrated my AUO version with Spyder2 and although it fixed contrast and color right up (to the point that they are on par with a good CRT) the lighting uniformity on this panel is really, really bad, to the point that it's actually distracting.

I am hoping Circuit gets some more of these in the local stores so I can do a swapout.

yeah, so it seems calibration does correct the colour differences people are seeing, so that's good and expected tbh. Uniformity is more random I would suggest, hopefully an RMA/swap will sort that for you regardless of whether it's a Samsung or AUO version :)

^^

oh noes! you must be a viral marketer for samsung!! [/sarcasm] haha i'm surprised you didnt cover any of "that" part of the thread because for trying to get out pretty much exactly what you said some crazy person came on here and started flaming me for it thinking i must work for samsung. I even said the exact same thing about backlight bleeding, since of course it will vary on the assembly batch by batch, not by which panel was used, of course that freaked whats his name out even moreso.

well aside from the AOC thing, i'm pretty sure i said AU through most of it, really though people didnt care what company it was, it didn't change their concern whether it was AOC or AU, but i think most people got it right.

lol, yeah i smiled to myself as i read through about those like yourself who had got the panel manufacturer right. It's just another thing which bothers me since it just seems noone really looks into it or considers it properly...they hear something and that's it! And no, i have no connection to Samsung, just enthusiastic and i dont like to see the confusion and hysteria if it can be avoided! :)

yeah, so it seems calibration does correct the colour differences people are seeing, so that's good and expected tbh. Uniformity is more random I would suggest, hopefully an RMA/swap will sort that for you regardless of whether it's a Samsung or AUO version :)

Color uniformity looks great and contrast is very good, but I don't think it's fair to say that one panel is as good as the other since I don't have the two of them here to compare.

Another user does have both so hopefully he will get a colorometer and calibrate both displays to report on differences.

If backlight uniformity turns out to be the principle issue I figure it's a crap shoot as to whether the next one I get is any better than this one (although as you can see from my picture above, it's pretty bad)... I'm actually rather amazed at how bad the backlight can be on these things and yet the typical consumer still seem quite happy with them.

Gunner1, as your photo shows, the degree of bleeding is quite pronounced. I just wonder when people say "slight bleeding" on top and bottom what "slight" may mean to them. My 4 years old 15" X bleeder looks better than what's showing in the picture. This really kinda puts me off. Maybe my interpretation of the photo is wrong. I would certainly wish for this to be the case.

Can anyone elaborate a bit about this monitor's motion picture performance? :confused:

Color uniformity looks great and contrast is very good, but I don't think it's fair to say that one panel is as good as the other since I don't have the two of them here to compare.

Another user does have both so hopefully he will get a colorometer and calibrate both displays to report on differences.

If backlight uniformity turns out to be the principle issue I figure it's a crap shoot as to whether the next one I get is any better than this one (although as you can see from my picture above, it's pretty bad)... I'm actually rather amazed at how bad the backlight can be on these things and yet the typical consumer still seem quite happy with them.

I will try to do more tests this weekend for you guys after I get my new video card..., maybe someone could let me know how to get optimal configurations for each panel, before I take the pics??

I just found this online-only deal on the 206BW display at Circuit City's website. Looks like I may be getting this one instead of the 22".

$330
-$50 online sale
-$28 10% off eBay coupon
+$2 for 10% off eBay coupon
$254

pretty good deal if you ask me

Gunner1, as your photo shows, the degree of bleeding is quite pronounced. I just wonder when people say "slight bleeding" on top and bottom what "slight" may mean to them. My 4 years old 15" X bleeder looks better than what's showing in the picture. This really kinda puts me off. Maybe my interpretation of the photo is wrong. I would certainly wish for this to be the case.

Can anyone elaborate a bit about this monitor's motion picture performance? :confused:

Video quality is pretty good for a budget LCD but still exhibits some problems such as color banding in low light scenes as well as some "splotches" in the low light video sequences. It is of course possible that some of this is caused by video processing from software or the video card.

the video is definitely not up to par with what I've seen on my own Sony SXRD LCoS display that's in my home theater and doesn't seem as good as the higher end LCD displays I've seen either.

but uniformity really can vary from one to another, if quality control is not up to par, or shipments have been rushed, then it's quite possible models from the same batch and using the same panel, will vary in quality here.

Hadron, in your comparison photo on the previous page, is there any reason why the "A" panel is much brighter than the "S"?

Problem with yellow with LG-L226WT!I see no problem here!Color spectrum works great with this 226wt.Have a 226bw also with matched color display 100%.Except for alittle more backbleed with 226wt! i see no diff between 2 monitors
One monitor that I have seen in the store against other monitors had very obvious yellow and green color reproduction problem. And I did play with controls. trying to calibrate it out. It was simply the wost monitor with respect to that. Another monitor that I bought, had exactly the same problems, and I compared it against my Trinitron CRT. I also played with controls both on video card and on the monitor itself. The problem is that yellow color is not the "clear" color, but rather a mixture of red and green, so you can't just increase it without affecting other colors. So, it is either you have to compare your monitor against other (CRT is good here) or LG-226WT has also two types of panels, one type better then another.

I just ordered mine from NewEgg. I'm still using a 10 year old 19" CRT Sony monitor which is surprisingly an extremely well made considering it runs just as good as the first day it was opened. It was around $800 back when I purchased it. :eek:

I hope the Sammy LCD is as good as you guys make it to be. :D

AUO are a reputable and very highly regarded panel manufacturer. the panel being used is an extension of that used also in the Iiyama E2200WS and Belinea 2225S1W, which are quite popular as well. Samsung have very likely supplied the screen with the intent of using their own TN Film panel, but probably due to availability, have had to use a very similar panel from AU Optronics. If demand is high, they will do that, but it doesn't automaitcally mean one is better than the other by the extent some people seem to be thinking here!
If films or spacers or other components used in AUO manufacturing are different then used in Samsung (for cost reasons), then it does not matter if AUO is reliable or not. So, if it is reliable, it will reliably produce different panels, while the electronics, voltages, panel design digital algorithms are designed for Samsung panel, meaning that the quality of image will be inferior on "A" panel.

I think that's a very good point too. It seems people are siting two problems with the AUO version:

- backlight bleeding / panel uniformity issues
- colour banding and over-saturation of colours

Colour banding and accuracy also is a bit of a hard one to gauge. One user said they had both versions, and says the colours looked better on the Samsung panel. However, they also admit that they never calibrated the screen and just plugged it in and played. Colour accuracy out of the box CAN and WILL vary greatly from one panel to another. Samsung are actually pretty good with their out-of-the-box calibration and so this might well explain the issue here. Yes, The Samsung version might well be more accurately and evenly set up from the outset, but that doesn't mean the AUO panel is crap! If you calibrated the screen properly, or even with software methods, i would suggest results would be somewhat improved. Colour banding can also be accentuated by poor set up and calibration. Poor initial factory settings might well be to blame for the apparent perceived differences people are seeing here, and for those who have managed to try both versions. I would be very surprised if this could not be corrected though with the right methods.

there's too much elite-ism going on here....far too much talk of S >>>> A!
Ok, as I said I could not check the bleeding on A panel in the store, but the contrast difference was very noticeable between A and S panels, and the bleeding on my S panel is really minor, much, much smaller than what I see in the shots on this thread for A panel. It is also smaller than what I remember about LG-226WT monitor that I had for couple of days previously.

Now, color reproduction and banding are related things. If you can correct color by the monitor (not video card) controls, then you should be fine. But what I strongly suspect is happening with A panel, is that you actually have to change color curves to get accurate color reproduction, because white color of A panel is white, but you still get an impression of bluish tint when viewing multi-colored picture.

The color curves are adjusted by video card. And I strongly suspect that at least NVIDIA cards (I have NVIDIA) uses dithering in order to reproduce fractional values of colors which is result of color curve not being a straight line with one-to-one color reproduction.

This would work fine, except when both video card and monitor uses dithering, this leads to horrible artifacts, seen by people as color banding.

So with A panel you have either accurate colors, with large banding, or inaccurate colors with very little banding. While with S panel you can have both accurate colors and very little banding (you will always have small amount of color banding on the monitors with dithering, no matter what, but in case of S panel, you can can have it practically zero even on test pictures, if the magic color is off, and gamma is set to mode 1).

Just in case, let me repeat how you can get the minimal banding:
A) Turn off the magic color
B) Set gamma mode to mode 1
C) Turn off any color correction done by video card (for NVIDIA cards go to the color correction panel and click on restore default button. This should restore one-to-one color reproduction by video card)
D) Contrast, brightness, monitor temperature (including custom) do not change banding (it is good, means that you can adjust those freely) because they change things like intensity of back light or maximum voltage on LC sells, without modifying color numerical values, and thus do not affect dithering or banding.

Saying this, I still think that A panel is better than LG-226WT, may be not in contrast, but in color reproduction.

And yes, for the reasons I have described my impression is (without "elite-ism") that S >>>> A! , well, may be just S>>A, but still... :D

MxM, thanks for the input. Your posts help me understand LCD's much better.

Hi MxM, thanks for the input. Good to have further info which discusses this in more detail, with reasoning rather than just jumping on the "oh noos, A is rubbish" bandwagon :p

If films or spacers or other components used in AUO manufacturing are different then used in Samsung (for cost reasons), then it does not matter if AUO is reliable or not. So, if it is reliable, it will reliably produce different panels, while the electronics, voltages, panel design digital algorithms are designed for Samsung panel, meaning that the quality of image will be inferior on "A" panel.

Yes, if electronics vary then this can have an impact too. However, my point was that AUO aren't a half-rate panel maunfacturer, so you can expect some decent things from their panels. Samsung's production and electronics are also of high standard and so from this point of view, i'd still be reluctant to conclude that the panel / electronics were inferior to the Samsung panel version.

Ok, as I said I could not check the bleeding on A panel in the store, but the contrast difference was very noticeable between A and S panels, and the bleeding on my S panel is really minor, much, much smaller than what I see in the shots on this thread for A panel. It is also smaller than what I remember about LG-226WT monitor that I had for couple of days previously.

I agree that comparing the two models side by side in a store, or at home with default set up and config is likely to show varied results. Out of the box setup can really vary greatly...things like OSD settings (who knows if someone in the store has fiddled around with the screen!?), the PC, graphics card settings etc all come into play here. You could quite easily make any panel look terrible if you wanted to, but with the right adjustments (and certainly with a colorimeter) you could get some decent results out of both versions I think.

I agree that comparing the two models side by side in a store, or at home with default set up and config is likely to show varied results. Out of the box setup can really vary greatly...things like OSD settings (who knows if someone in the store has fiddled around with the screen!?), the PC, graphics card settings etc all come into play here. You could quite easily make any panel look terrible if you wanted to, but with the right adjustments (and certainly with a colorimeter) you could get some decent results out of both versions I think.

I probably should have given more details about comparison in the store.
A) Monitors where connected to the same source
B) I did play with the settings of both monitors
C) The main reason I say that contrast is less, is because the black level was not so black in A panel. I can not say though if it is due to leakage or due to simple external light scattering. I do understand though that results may very simply from panel to panel.

I just swapped out my very badly backlit "A" panel for another one and guess what, it's an "A" panel too. First one was wave 1001 this one is wave 603.

Seems to be just as bad as the first one in the backlight department. I will try to get some pictures up later.

Hey guys, so I just received my monitor from newegg today and can confirm that it is an S panel. I must say it looks outstanding, with no noticeable back light bleeding, which is what prompted me to get this panel in the first place. Almost wish I had the extra dough for a 24" though since my 360 wont display the native res on this thing. However it still looks great.

I want some more opinions on the xbox 360, anybody else using theirs on this thing? I want to know if you prefer the 1248 x 1024 wide or the other widescreen format that the xbox comes with (11something x 768? cant remember). Man this thing would be so perfect if they just had the native resolution on the xbox.

not to add fule to the "A >> S" fire, but I wonder if Newegg's latest batch are mostly/all "S" panels.

I'm curious....as somewhere in this discussion, a conspiracy theory of sorts arose that A panels were being used in the interim as demand was very strong at the release of this monitor.

Having said that and reading this whole thread through......I'm still hopeful to get an S panel from CC...if they ever get it in stock here in Vegas. :D

not to add fule to the "A >> S" fire, but I wonder if Newegg's latest batch are mostly/all "S" panels.

I'm curious....as somewhere in this discussion, a conspiracy theory of sorts arose that A panels were being used in the interim as demand was very strong at the release of this monitor.

Having said that and reading this whole thread through......I'm still hopeful to get an S panel from CC...if they ever get it in stock here in Vegas. :D

Better be, I just ordered mine!! :p

Who's else recently ordered through NewEgg--what panel did you recieve?

Quote by MxM!!
The color curves are adjusted by video card. And I strongly suspect that at least NVIDIA cards (I have NVIDIA) uses dithering in order to reproduce fractional values of colors which is result of color curve not being a straight line with one-to-one color reproduction.

This would work fine, except when both video card and monitor uses dithering, this leads to horrible artifacts, seen by people as color banding

You make some good statements! When i adjusted both my LG226 and Sam 226bw I used NVIDIA's software with the color curves on both.What i noticed was the color curve was alittle different for each monitor to get the same pic quality and color.It wasnt a real big difference though.Maybe its due to different video cards being used.Both are NVIDIA 7600gs and 7900 gs.

I would definitely have gotten one from CC if they had any in stock up in Spokane, but unfortunately thats an 80 mile drive for me. I was luck to find newegg in stock just a couple of days later. I wouldn't recommend getting from them unless you have to however because their return policy is crap. Knowing that newegg had at least one S panel though, I think others might feel a little safer in ordering from them.

Here's the bleed on the new panel; Now that I see the photos it's about 10X better than the other one I swapped it out with, I just don't know if this is a "normal" amount of backlight bleeding on a 22" panel.

IMG_5523.jpg

Back