Samsung 205BW or ? (UK)

hutchingsp

Limp Gawd
I've just replaced a G5 iMac with a MacBook and I'm looking for a widescreen display.

I'm not insane enough to buy an Apple Cinema Display so it seems I have a couple of options:

• Buy a good quality 20-24" TFT i.e. Dell 2007/2407 and keep it a long time
  • Buy a cheaper panel and replace it in a year or so

Here in the UK we don't get "rebates" and stuff like that. Current prices are:

Samsung 205BW - £199
Dell 2007 - £330
Dell 2407 - £530

There are of course lots of other displays out there, but the problem is other than forums and web reviews they are damn near impossible to see before you buy one.

I don't game, it's for "internet/office" stuff and some watching of video but only stuff I've downloaded or if I want a DVD playing in the background, basically I have a TV for "proper" viewing.

I know the Samsung is a TN panel whereas the Dells are S-IPS so offer better colour and viewing angles, but as I'm a "home user" vs. a photo/video pro how noticeable is this likely to be?

As I said at the start, rather than spend £330 now I'm wondering if it makes more sense to get a cheaper panel and keep changing it every year or 18 months?

I know I've listed the 2407, really it's something that would be lovely to have, but it's very hard to justify the purchase for casual use.

The Dell's are not necessarily going to be S-IPS. They began switching panels and the S-PVA Dell uses have been dodgy. I think the switching started in Australia and other places first and has been going on in US for last couple months. I don't know how things are in UK. I had 2 Dell S-PVA''s and didn't like them because they were very dark face on. I had to tip side to side to see details in dark areas.

I am just going to get an NEC S-IPS now. It costs a bit more, but the last 2 months of trying to buy an LCD have taught me there are rarely any real deals because even the monitors that work or come as specified are shop chopped somehow. If Dell has a S-IPS its a Grade B S-IPS with backlight, banding, pixel issues etc. I wouldn't bet how long the power supplies will last etc. Some Samsung's seem okay but I think an NEC S-IPS is worth the extra cost since I am in a monitor many hours. A lot of new monitors will be out this month so there could be some wisdom in holding off.

Here is a thread about Dell "lottery"

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1111100

This looks like it comes down to how much money you're willing to spend, and by putting the 2407 on the list, you come across as not being short on cash. ;)

However, since you are in europe where the 2007WFP cost so much more than the 205BW for example (I am in europe too so I know how that sucks), I don't think the price of the dell is worth it for casual internet/office use. Maybe if you had people regularly come over and look at the monitor from different angles, you would need better viewing angles that what the TN panels offer. I don't think the big resolution of the 2407WFP is worth it for casual use either, unless you need to boost your ego a bit.

I also don't see why you would need to keep changing monitor every year if you went the TN route. If you got the 205BW and were happy with it, it could very well last you a good 2-3 years, unless you make a point to have the latest hardware and sell/buy stuff on a regular basis.

Get the samsung, I have researched this for months and ended up getting a 204BW (same monitor as 205BW, but with thinner bezel) and it looks awesome, TN panels have improved a TON from when I first had one, it looks better than any monitor I have seen, including IPS panels. Plus, its HDCP compliant :)

Shaman said:
I also don't see why you would need to keep changing monitor every year if you went the TN route. If you got the 205BW and were happy with it, it could very well last you a good 2-3 years, unless you make a point to have the latest hardware and sell/buy stuff on a regular basis.

I certainly wouldn't hope to be changing every year, it was more a thought process of "buy a cheap one now and maybe replace it" rather than "buy an expensive one now".

I could afford the 2407 the same as I could afford a 30" - thing is when you don't have a reason for it other than "cuz it's big" it's hard to actually justify the cost which is why I'm thinking a 20" should be sufficient (it has been so far).

Just as a question, any thoughts/opinions on an Eizo 2110W?

There's one on eBay at £380 which isn't cheap, but has kind of got me thinking.

I have a 204BW (as stated above, essentially identical to a 205BW), and it is a very nice monitor. Even though it's a TN panel it, has very good color reproduction, and I honestly don't think it's worth the price premium for the Dells, especially for an internet/office computer.

Back