Samsung 173P+ advise & other LCD's...

Saeid

Limp Gawd
Ok the 173P+ is almost identical to the 193P+ the only difference is that the 19" version is 2 inch's bigger and has a slightly lower contrast level (that means the 17" has higher contrast value)....

My question is, what does 8ms (gray-to-gray) mean?

I currently have the Samsung 172T (which is 25ms)...
I considered the 172X (12ms) but i cant find it anywhere...

So then i was looking at "Philips 170X5" (which is 17" 12ms and 100% 0 dead pixel's)!

But upon further research i came across the Samsung 173P+ which looks better, thinner, lower response time, higher contrast, etc.

So what u think i have been getting mixed reviews on the 193P+ over its ghosting effect.... some say that there is NO ghosting what-so-ever, others say its there....

Also came across the Sony SDM-HS75P/S, which is said to be 8ms... with XBrite technology. The only problem with that is that its relatively much thicker than the 173P+... and the screen is Glossy, which may liven up the images on the screen, but it has the glare side-effect...

So what which would u guys recommend?
Samsung 173P+
Sony SDM-HS75P/S
Philips 170X5

Also if someone could explain what Gray-to-Gray means... and whether or not its better than the rise-and-fall term? And is the 173P+ true 8ms?
Finally what is "overdrive" or something, does that mean without the proper software installed the repsonse time is much higher?

Thnx

I don't know about the other lcd's but if I were going to get a 17in lcd I would get the Samsung. As far as gray to gray goes it's actually not as good a rating as the rise and fall. If the gray to gray rating is 8ms the rise and fall is probably around ~20ms at best. Here is a link that will explain things better than I can. Hope this helps.

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,121906,00.asp

ASmith said:
As far as gray to gray goes it's actually not as good a rating as the rise and fall. If the gray to gray rating is 8ms the rise and fall is probably around ~20ms at best.
Even though that is true, it doesn't mean an 8ms grey-to-grey display is slower than an 8ms (rise+fall or black-white-black) display. The grey-to-grey spec is only found on monitors that use overdrive technology which means that response time is pretty much the same for all color transitions while on monitors without overdrive it varies greatly.

So what is overdrive techology?

Ok between 172X and 173P+ which would win in terms of response time?

The 172x is 12ms... and the 173P+ is 8ms (g2g)...

Saeid said:
So what is overdrive techology?

Ok between 172X and 173P+ which would win in terms of response time?

The 172x is 12ms... and the 173P+ is 8ms (g2g)...

I think the 172p would. However even if it didn't it's still a better monitor overall because it uses a pva based panel instead of a tn panel. This is better because pva panels are 8-bit and can display all the colors accurately where as a tn panel is 6-bit. You would also get better viwewing angles.

Thats true... the 173P+ has a viewing angle of 178/178... thats AMAZING... i mean a straight line is 180 degree's... ;)

Ok what about a monitor thats 8ms (g2g) such as the 173P+ (which uses overdrive) versus a monitor with 8ms without overdrive?
Or is that even possible?

No one can give you a definite answer to that. It may be faster at some transitions and slower at others. Usually LCDs with overdrive have nearly identical response time for all transitions (which should be around 16-20ms for a 8ms GtG LCD). LCDs without overdrive may have a response time of only 8ms for black to white but can also take as much as 30ms for grey-to-grey.

Having said that, the 173P+ should be about the same speed, or even faster than the 172X but with much better viewing angles, better colors and contrast.

Don't know about the other models but I have seen the Sony SDM-HS75P/S in Best Buy and it looks "Real nice Clark".
If you like the glossy look and what looked to me to be Black, Black's you might like the Sony. I also didn't see lag when playing with the cursor.

Well glossy screen's are really bad...
since they can easily ruin the viewing experiance with light reflection...

I just ordered the Samsung SyncMaster 173P+
;)

If you get a chance let post a review, I am considering getting a 17in lcd for my other computer.

Back