Samson SR850 - $40 shipped

I am getting bored of my 595's and my AD700's. A quick google search with a few user reviews from various sites tell me these headphones are pretty much comparable to the AD700's. For $40 it's worth trying out.

Hmm, looking into Yugster further, is it really worth it to save $10 over Amazon? Because their resellerratings aren't so hot.

Last edited:
The 668b is supposedly the exact same headphones as the SR850, just rebranded. The 681 is the lesser when it comes to the SR850/668b. A lot of people do an AKG K240 earpad swap for comfort purposes and some even claim it improves sound clarity.

That's a great price! I just ordered a set of these from Amazon before Christmas and love them. I bought them specifically for gaming.

Tarrosion, according to the reviews I've read on the SR850's, they are made by SuperLux and are considered rebranded SuperLux 668B's. The main technical difference being that the Samson's are 32ohm and the 668's are 56ohm. As far as the 681's go, the word is that they are very bass responsive but their high end seems to be too shrill. However, that's nothing some eq'ing can't fix IMO...

The Samsons I find to have a very deep bass reproduction and have plenty of punch for my tastes. I was worried about the highs on the 681's as I do not care for overly bright treble so I decided to get the Samson's. Also, the SR850's earpads simply pull off and can be replaced with AKG240 velour earpads for greater comfort. Not sure how easy it is to mod the 681's. My guess is that it is easy as well.

Sorry this is a kind of dumb question but is 32 ohm or 56 ohm going to make a difference to the sound quality? If not you could get the 32 ohm and drive it with mp3 players with no downside.

I would go with the 56 ohm but I seriously doubt you will hear any difference. If it was 32 ohm vs 250 ohm then that would be more significant.

I'm really debating picking up a set of these or an RH600. Sadly there is very little info out there about the RH600 but the little that I have heard has been good. I have an AD700 but I miss bass.

Use coupon code

YUGSAVE5/25

and get $5 off aka free shipping. I think I might bite on this I'm a sucker for headphones especially budget cans that perform above their call of duty.
[e]
Though I'm not too sure if I should trust Yugster.

I ended up picking up a pair of 688Bs rather than pick these up from yugster but they're pretty much the same thing.

Also, 32ohm is standard for mp3 players but 56ohm is slightly better quality. From what I've read these are fine without an amp so it's pretty much a toss-up.

There is more of a difference b/w the 688B and the 850 than you probably know. I do not endorse getting the stock 688b.

Get the 850, take the driver covers off and fix the earpads with some double sided tape and microfiber fabric. Then you have a very good pair of headphones for any type of sound.

Except farts. They bother me. I can only listen to them for so long before I have to go boom boom. ^^

Holy shit, this guys reviews on reseller ratings are awful.

Edit: Fuck it, he takes paypal. For $35 its worth a shot.

Yeah that is what gets me. I may be paranoid but those reviews sound like they just take crappy refurbs and send them out to people at discounted prices, then give you a hard time when you want a refund or replacement, then if you complain enough publicly they'll help you out. I dunno if that is true, but I know sites like that do exist knowing that more customers will give up rather than persue weeks of bitching for to get $40 back.

[e]Hmm I'm still really tempted. That score they got seems rather low, but it kind of seems odd that it's so hard to find any reviews good or bad anywhere else about yugster.com. It's been around for a couple years and if it were as big of a scam that those reseller ratings make it out to be you'd imagine it would be far easier to find posts else where of people urging not to use yugster. Though some of the reports sound real bad like clearly scratched up products in retail boxes taped with scotch tape or items missing panels. Has anyone here dealt with Yugster in the past?

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I got a set of these from Amazon, for 50$ they sound absolutely amazing.

Well, it was worth the gamble. I just got the headphones, brand new.

Well that's good to hear. I took the plunge too and mine haven't even been marked as shipped yet. I'll see if anything happens tomorrow and if not then I'll see just how shitty their customer service is. Then if that yeilds no result I'll see how good paypal is at getting me my money back.

Well that's good to hear. I took the plunge too and mine haven't even been marked as shipped yet. I'll see if anything happens tomorrow and if not then I'll see just how shitty their customer service is. Then if that yeilds no result I'll see how good paypal is at getting me my money back.

Mine were never marked as shipped either. Apparently they shipped from NY, I'm in CT. Thats pretty close. Give it a couple of days, I'm sure that they'll arrive.

Thanks for the info, I'll stick it out for the rest of the week and see what happens.

Just got these headphones as a gift. They're damn good, high clarity, plenty of lows, mids, and clear highs. They're better than my ATH-A900's in my opinion.

Just got these headphones as a gift. They're damn good, high clarity, plenty of lows, mids, and clear highs. They're better than my ATH-A900's in my opinion.

Give them a few days, a little burn it seems to make highs/mids/lows more separated - sounds better imo.

Woo, my Yugster order just came in. Thanks again BababooeyHTJ for those details of how your order was shipped, definitely saved me some worry and time messing with customer support(seems like I've been having to do this quite a bit lately.)

These headphones sure are a great bang for the buck. I had been considering the A900's for quite a while, but I think these have scratched that itch I've had for trying a 50mm headphone. I can imagine the low end only gets better with burn in, but these do sound pretty great right out of the box.

How do these compare with sony mdr7506/mdrv6's? I'm usually partial to Sony headphones just because they seem to last and last for me.

How do these compare with sony mdr7506/mdrv6's? I'm usually partial to Sony headphones just because they seem to last and last for me.

Cheaper build quality but definitely have a better sound. I've had so many headphones, Denon D2000s being my favorite and these are really, really good for the price. Fun headphones.

Back