Same SSID for 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz?

Angry_Birds

Weaksauce
What would you guys advise? Are devices (mainly my iPad 2 and Latitude E6400) smart enough to pick 5GHz over 2.4GHz if both networks have the same SSID? Or should I make two separate SSID's for each?

This is fine. Any devices that supports both bands should automatically go with the one providing better throughput.

This is fine. Any devices that supports both bands should automatically go with the one providing better throughput.
are you sure about this? this is the first time i hear of this. I always name them differently cause i'm not a fan of having two different networks with the same name. Seems confusing.

I do know that if you name two SSIDs on the same band the same name, your wireless adapter will connect to the one with the stronger signal strength.

I do not know however if this applies across separate bands.

are you sure about this? this is the first time i hear of this. I always name them differently cause i'm not a fan of having two different networks with the same name. Seems confusing.

If you think about it, it's really no different than having multiple WAPs with the same SSID (such as you might in an office or other large space) and a device connecting to whichever one has the strongest signal. That the two signals a device sees happen to be in different bands and also happen to emanate from the same box is irrelevant.

Seems to me that it'd be more confusing to have two different SSIDs that access the same network. IMHO it's poor design to do so, unless you had specific need to segregate different devices between the two bands.

It's how I have my router (WNDR3700) set up. Works just fine.

If you think about it, it's really no different than having multiple WAPs with the same SSID (such as you might in an office or other large space) and a device connecting to whichever one has the strongest signal. That the two signals a device sees happen to be in different bands and also happen to emanate from the same box is irrelevant.

Seems to me that it'd be more confusing to have two different SSIDs that access the same network. IMHO it's poor design to do so, unless you had specific need to segregate different devices between the two bands.

It's how I have my router (WNDR3700) set up. Works just fine.
yeah thanks for the info. I was also confused because earlier you said throughput, and not signal strength.

I don't know about Windows but on my Mac it lists both networks and the 5GHz one has (5GHz) beside it.

Back