Same performance at different res. How can this be?

ibex333

[H]ard|Gawd
I am testing Company of Heroes 2 @ 720p(integer scaling) and 1440p.

My setup is an X5470(about on par with i5-2400) and GTX 1650(low profile) 8GB RAM.

I used integer scaling @ 720p because the 1650 is not a 1440p card at all. But performance sucked. 24fps minimum and about 40fps average.

Then I tried 1440p and whoah... Still around 40fps avg, but 30 fps minimum!!! What the hell?

Does this mean my CPU is bottlenecking my GPU? But regardless, shouldnt low res in such a case increase performance anywhay?

And i5-2400 is plenty for CoH2 anyway, no?

Thanks very much.

Yes, the CPU is a severe bottleneck in your system. By decreasing the resolution you are biasing toward a more CPU-bound performance situation. Increasing the resolution moves it to a GPU-bound situation.

The X5470 is based on the Penryn architecture, basically two Core 2 dies in one chip. That is ancient technology today. The i5-2400 is based on Sandy Bridge and is a superior architecture compared to Core 2. Single threaded performance on the latter is up to 10% better in games in addition to it supporting newer instruction sets.

You would do well to upgrade your platform to something more modern. I'd recommend going with at least something in the Haswell generation if you don't want something brand new, but Skylake would last you longer.

I'm not sure why you think your CPU is on par with an i5 2400 as it's not even close to being that fast. An i5 2400 is nearly 50% faster. Even CPUs in a phone have long surpassed that level of performance.

Last edited:
Any dead end z270 or b350 cheapo setup someone is bailing from right now will be a big step up.
Literally any platform appropriate cpu any of us would spend $50 for a kids 1st gaming box would be a major step forward.
I’m thinking 4c/8t here.
Storage IO alone is worthwhile.
$200 spent wisely on a mobo/ddr4/cpu/nvme drive would be warranted.

How are you doing integer scaling? I thought it's only available for Turings.

I am testing Company of Heroes 2 @ 720p(integer scaling) and 1440p.

My setup is an X5470(about on par with i5-2400) and GTX 1650(low profile) 8GB RAM.

I used integer scaling @ 720p because the 1650 is not a 1440p card at all. But performance sucked. 24fps minimum and about 40fps average.

Then I tried 1440p and whoah... Still around 40fps avg, but 30 fps minimum!!! What the hell?

Does this mean my CPU is bottlenecking my GPU? But regardless, shouldnt low res in such a case increase performance anywhay?

And i5-2400 is plenty for CoH2 anyway, no?

Thanks very much.

Sounds like a CPU bottleneck to me, especially since that chip isnt nearly as fast as a second gen I5. It would be more comprable to a Phenom 2 or a C2Q.

Sorry, I made a mistake. The CPU is X3470. The CPU usage in COH never goes above 35% according to Afterburner.

Sorry, I made a mistake. The CPU is X3470. The CPU usage in COH never goes above 35% according to Afterburner.
that is still a Core i7 8xx equivalent LGA1156 not the same IPC level unless yeah you can leverage with OC the IPS performance.. still a %35 utilization means nothing if the game is bound to single thread performance

Cpu Bound-> high cpu dependency per core performance but well a i7 8xx shouldn't be as big of a bottleneck as a Core 2 Quad
Cpu limited-> high cpu usage

Nehalem-based processors are still ancient. The i5-2400 is 30-40% faster in single core performance which is critical in a game like Company of Heroes. 35% max CPU usage indicates not all cores and threads being utilized to run the game.

Is there some sort of software which shows that the CPU is not able to keep up with the game? Clearly Afterburner is not sufficient since it only shows info insufficient to know if something is CPU bound.

For Afterburner you can enable CPU usage on a per-core basis. You have to do it manually in the settings.

The overall CPU could say 25%, but if you look at the cores, the first one could be at 100% and the rest doing nothing.

Back