Same GPU Same Monitor - New Everything else - Getting tearing now

Elf_Boy

2[H]4U
I've checked in the past with various tools and had my 980 ti reported at 99% usage so I didnt expect a big difference in FPS etc/

Only dived into ESO so far.

Old system maxed at 60 fps, rarely 61-62.

With this new box I am seeing ESO hit over 110 fsp as reported by it's own counter.

All in game settings maxes on both.

I am now getting some occasional tearing I was not dealing with before.

Should I just turn on sync?

Use a utility like Riva Tuner Statistics Server to set a FPS limiter, or turn on Fast Sync in the NVIDIA Control Panel.

Out of curiosity, what CPU did you upgrade from?

144-165Hz GSYNC monitor. You'll thank me later.

You can try setting a fps cap but that doesn't necessarily mean it won't tear. Without an adaptive sync monitor, tearing can occur anytime there is no vsync. Doesn't matter if your FPS is above, at or below your refresh rate.

Use a utility like Riva Tuner Statistics Server to set a FPS limiter, or turn on Fast Sync in the NVIDIA Control Panel.

Out of curiosity, what CPU did you upgrade from?

GPU went from Magic Box #1 to Magic Box #2 (see below)

Below only works on desktop/laptop . Not on your phone. I see no signature.

Or scroll down to the bottom of the page and click 'full site' - if you wish.

tearing can happen any time fps and hz don't match up. either limit the fps and or bump settings to bring fps closer to 60, get a faster monitor as suggested above or live with it.

More to the point... Tearing and happen anytime the image being rendered isn't in sync with the monitors refresh rate, meaning it can happen even if the FPS matches the Hz. Vsync isn't just an FPS cap, it's determines exactly WHEN the video card sends the image to the screen. An FPS cap simply limits how often an image is rendered by the card, but it gets sent to the monitor as soon as it's ready regardless of where the monitor is in it's refresh cycle.

I did turn on vsync. Also edited the ini file to set view distance higher then what in game settings allow.

Probably going to ramp that some more.

Haven't seen a tear since.

I know what tearing is and what causes it. Still strange I only see it at the high fps. Not once at low. Wonder if the tv\monitor is fixing it somehow despite PC\gaming mode supposedly turning off all that crap.

I'm curious, OP: why'd you go and make a thread about screen tearing if you already know what it is and what causes it?

I'm curious, OP: why'd you go and make a thread about screen tearing if you already know what it is and what causes it?

Knowing what causes something is not the same as know what to do to fix something.

As an example, except for a few Luddites and anti-science/anti-government nuts not many people doubt the connection between HIV infection and acquired Immune loss.

Well, many meds now slow down and even possibly prevent that virus from causing an initial infection, very sadly once serious immune system damage is done it cant be repaired.

Better example, we all know what causes the common cold, right?

My primary curiosity was along the lines of why did this pair, GPU+Monitor never once tear in the prior configurations. Give it some headroom, feed it some data and low and behold a line ripping right across the screen all the more visible because of never having been seen there before.

Last edited:
What causes tearing?

Lack of vertical synchronization.

What fixes tearing?

Vertical synchronization, be it V-Sync, G-Sync, FreeSync, the coming HDMI VRR, etc. V-Sync is universally available.

Back