Same CPU Chip Overclocking on Different MOBOs

That's_Corporate

[H]ard|Gawd
As the title says:

If you use the same 2600K chip on a lower end ASUS Z68 board, overclock it as best you can, and then put that chip in their Maximus IV Extreme-Z, and overclock THAT setup as best you can, will the more expensive setup yield noticeably higher clocks (using high-end air cooling)?

As the title says:

If you use the same 2600K chip on a lower end ASUS Z68 board, overclock it as best you can, and then put that chip in their Maximus IV Extreme-Z, and overclock THAT setup as best you can, will the more expensive setup yield noticeably higher clocks (using high-end air cooling)?

According to multiple reviews, yes.

"The overclocking results are simply amazing. There are two other reviews on this board now and both reached 5GHz+ using a processor that previously only reached the 4.7 - 4.8GHz that you mentioned. Thanks for an excellent review, this is the best I have read so far!
"
This is a comment from the legionhardware review of the board.

http://www.legionhardware.com/articles_pages/asus_maximus_iv_extreme_z,1.html

Going from a 790fx board to a 990x board with my 1090t had me gain 200mhz. So from I could tell a quality board will definitely help you get more out of your CPU.

Going from p35 or x38 with a q9550 to a p45 let me go from 3.6 to 4.4......some chipsets back then just couldn't handle higher FSB. Not to mention other little various voltage tweaks for stability.

Back