Same chipset, do I need to reinstall windows 10 ?

Dreamerbydesign

Supreme [H]ardness
Greetings guys,

Swapping out a motherboard for another motherboard with the same chipset just a different brand. I am old school and usually just resinstall Windows. However, this is my business machine and has some very specific programs and setups on it.

Can I just install the new board, fire it up, and it will work? Both boards are b550 chipsets. I don't mind having to call the M$ phone line to re activate windows.

I am moving from Asus to MSI. Just swapped things over and remove any asus stuff that was left?

My windows 10 adapted fine going from an Intel X79 chipset to an AMD X570 chipset.

I have a windows 10 ssd that has been in 10+ wildly different systems. It does just fine. With that said if its been a long time it can be nice to setup a clean copy of windows.

Edit: I just remembered how I broke a windows installation last time. I attempted to run one of my windows drives on a Intel phi server and windows was less then happy with that.

I recently swapped a ASUS Z170-A to an Asus Z490-A and Win 10 would not reactivate. Long story short, I had to send MS receipts of my Z170-A purchase which was a PIA and took a long time. I read you can activate by phone or through some chat system...good luck with that. I had to RMA my Z490-A and when the new one came in, Windows would NOT activate so rather than jump through hoops with MS, I bought a key from Amazon. YMMV.

I recently swapped a ASUS Z170-A to an Asus Z490-A and Win 10 would not reactivate. Long story short, I had to send MS receipts of my Z170-A purchase which was a PIA and took a long time. I read you can activate by phone or through some chat system...good luck with that. I had to RMA my Z490-A and when the new one came in, Windows would NOT activate so rather than jump through hoops with MS, I bought a key from Amazon. YMMV.
I know you can re activate by phone. It’s not a hard process, maybe a little time consuming. The computer asks some questions, you read a code, put in a code and whala it activates.

If you have a retail key, it should reactivate no problems, any other license and you are in for it and jumping through MS fire laced hoops like a circus act.

It’s a OEM key. And I’ll update the thread with results.

I switched entire chipsets last time and had to phone activate once I installed the new mobo and re installed windows.

still was a 5 minute process talking to a automated line.

It’s a OEM key. And I’ll update the thread with results.

I switched entire chipsets last time and had to phone activate once I installed the new mobo and re installed windows.

still was a 5 minute process talking to a automated line.
Just be sure not to mention replacing the mobo, just keep it to the hard disk died.

Back