Saltwater Over Graphene Generates Electricity

HardOCP News

[H] News
It slices, it dices, it's an amazing thermal conductor, it is bendable and now it generates electricity using saltwater. Is there anything graphene can't do?

Here, we show that a voltage of a few millivolts can be produced by moving a droplet of sea water or ionic solution over a strip of monolayer graphene under ambient conditions. Through experiments and density functional theory calculations, we find that a pseudocapacitor is formed at the droplet/graphene interface, which is driven forward by the moving droplet, charging and discharging at the front and rear of the droplet.

Here's a neat video of graphene slicing and dicing ice. :cool:

So.....when do we start seeing waterblocks and heatsinks made of graphene?

and next up on youtube.... fake perpetual machines that incorporate graphene to generate free power.

So.....when do we start seeing waterblocks and heatsinks made of graphene?

This right here. That and Headphones. Imo it will bring the super high end down to reasonable prices. The stuff really seems to be magic. Batteries too!

Can you imagine putting an electric heat source capable of reaching the melting point of software metals on the bottom of a blade like this and using it to cut through metal, like Aluminum or Copper? There's great potential here if it can stand up to heat like that.

I just saw a special on Graphene and everyone agrees it's amazing, Investors however have, according to the special I watched are not investing due to the complexity of mass production which on the same show, experts suggested it would be 15 to 20 years before they have the infrastructure in place to supply the expected demand.

It has been a while since I have looked, but I'm pretty sure graphene would make a terrible heatsink as it is only really conductive in the 2D plane, not between layers. Pretty much like using a diamond iirc.

ah my apologizes, I saw that page, and another that said 10mm x 10mm for around $200 didn't see the "for 5 pack"

Still, how many sheets do you figure is needed to make a heatsink?

Well because of the properties of it zero... An oreo cookie would do better as a heatsink...

Ive never seen a picture of a single layer of graphene.

Ive seen pictures of clumps flattened into sheets, but not the awesome magical single layer stuff.

Ive never seen a picture of a single layer of graphene.

Ive seen pictures of clumps flattened into sheets, but not the awesome magical single layer stuff.

Not sure if you're being serious, but a single sheet is transparent. Can't exactly take a picture. SEM maybe, not sure if that would tear through it though.

Not sure if you're being serious, but a single sheet is transparent. Can't exactly take a picture. SEM maybe, not sure if that would tear through it though.

it is not completely transparent, it should be visible with the naked eye. (provided they could ever make macroscopic piece of it not on a substrate.)

for example you can see the area of where the graphene is attached here on the substrate, but not just the graphine, not adjacent to anything else.

https://graphene-supermarket.com/Monolayer-Graphene-on-PET-Size-2-x2.html
but this is polycrystalline

most of the super cool shit happens with monolayer monocrystalline,
bot polylayer (polycrstalline) is still our best manufacturable conductor and strongest material.

So... when are we going to see graphene actually used in a commercial product? This is like the googleplex article on the wonders of graphene. At this rate, I sooner expect to find a hunk of proto-adamantium in my front yard than see a commercial application of graphene.

Seems like I've been reading about graphene for at least the last 5 years, and we still don't have a single thing that uses it. They talk about how simple it is to make with pencil lead and and CD, and all the stuff we COULD use it for.

I think its a wickedly awesome step forwards, but they told the public about it waaaayy too early and made it sound like the future is here, now. I wouldn't be surprised if it was another 10yrs before we see it pop up in anything.
/end rant, I'm just impatient.

Back