Saints Row Demo

amdgamer

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Oct 27, 2004
Messages
4,880
Hey guys, I was curious what you guys thought of the demo of this game. The gameplay really looks awesome, but i'm worried about the frame rates. I know that this game is getting close to being released, and the frame rates in the demo were horrible. The game literally became a slideshow numerous times. It got so bad at times that it was hard to accurately aim. There was also a lot of screen tearing as well. If you havn't had a chance to try to demo, EBgames is giving out a demo disc right now if you put at least $5 down on this game.
 

g1xx3r

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Nov 30, 2005
Messages
5,496
Just played the demo(OXM mag) and I agree the fr are horrible..Not really next gen graffix either..Gameplay seems to have potential..May pick it up on half.com when it gets under$30..
 

amdgamer

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Oct 27, 2004
Messages
4,880
The gameplay definately has potential.

As far as the graphics go, I thought that they were pretty good considering the size of the environment. You can definately tell that there is detail to the textures, although they don't have the sheer complexity of some other X360 games. I just hope they have the frame rates worked out by release, as I consider them to be nearly unplayable with it being even worse than Quake 4 was.
 

FluxCap

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 24, 2004
Messages
510
I really don't think the framerate issue will be solved in a week or two when they start pressing copies.
 

spaceman

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Jan 7, 2005
Messages
14,817
Holy Crap then. First Chromehounds and now this. Why the hell release an unplayable game for a console?
 

Erasmus354

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Mar 12, 2004
Messages
9,450
FluxCap said:
I really don't think the framerate issue will be solved in a week or two when they start pressing copies.

Keeping in mind of course that the demo build was probably completed long before anyone got their hands on those OXM demo discs, so they have had longer than 2 weeks to solve any framerate issues.
 

FluxCap

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 24, 2004
Messages
510
Erasmus354 said:
Keeping in mind of course that the demo build was probably completed long before anyone got their hands on those OXM demo discs, so they have had longer than 2 weeks to solve any framerate issues.

Not necessarily, proof enough is NCAA 2007.

Normally the demo close to release represents the game very closely. Saint's Row was one of the reasons I got a 360 2 weeks ago. I am hoping for the best.
 

Erasmus354

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Mar 12, 2004
Messages
9,450
FluxCap said:
Not necessarily, proof enough is NCAA 2007.

Normally the demo close to release represents the game very closely. Saint's Row was one of the reasons I got a 360 2 weeks ago. I am hoping for the best.

It is different when you can just upload the demo to Marketplace servers when it is done. The Saints Row Demo had to be finalized earlier because discs had to be printed and ready for the Magazine to ship out.
 

JethroXP

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Oct 2, 2003
Messages
1,181
Most magazines have a two month lead time, meaning if the demo content wasn't ready roughly two months ago, it wouldn't have been on the disc.
 

amdgamer

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Oct 27, 2004
Messages
4,880
I'm hoping for the best as this game has way too much potential to be hindered by unplayable frame rates. I'm hoping that the demo was based on a really early unoptimized build. These guys will lose a lot of respect otherwise. Out of curiosity, has anyone with a SD or EDTV tried the demo and gotten decent frame rates?
 

FluxCap

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 24, 2004
Messages
510
Regardless of what "could" happen with the gold version, I think the demo is a concern and I will wait on a purchase until some tests and reviews are released. I hope it is cleaned up because it could be a great game on Live and something solid to hold us over until GTA IV.
 

spaceman

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Jan 7, 2005
Messages
14,817
I played it for an hour or so yesterday and didn't notice any game changing frame hits. Looks like a pretty good game.
 

Naldo

2[H]4U
Joined
Jul 7, 2001
Messages
3,739
spaceman said:
Holy Crap then. First Chromehounds and now this. Why the hell release an unplayable game for a console?

Whats wrong with chromehounds?
 
Joined
Apr 14, 2006
Messages
45
Really hard to drive in this game with all the stuttering...i'm thinking threw too many goodies in this game.
 

spaceman

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Jan 7, 2005
Messages
14,817
maybe it's a cooling issue? I cooled mine and have no driving issues at all.

chromehounds has MAJOR issues.
 

FluxCap

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 24, 2004
Messages
510
No, there are confirmed framerate issues. The developers have said they have cleaned up it since the demo. I hope they are not full of it.
 

amdgamer

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Oct 27, 2004
Messages
4,880
FluxCap said:
No, there are confirmed framerate issues. The developers have said they have cleaned up it since the demo. I hope they are not full of it.

Out of curiosity, can you tell me where you read that at? I have this game prepurchased and am very concerned about the frame rate issues. Any information on this would put my mind at ease as this game has way too much potential.
 

Domingo

Fully [H]
Joined
Jul 30, 2004
Messages
19,402
The game has mild framerate issues and vsync is off all the time (even in the story sequences). When there are games like Lost Planet that are locked at 60fps and 2x more detailed than this...this is just a waste of effort. Unless that demo was really rough, I wouldn't buy this game. Otherwise you'll keep looking around and wondering if an invisible man is slashing your TV picture with all the tearing going on.
 

FluxCap

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 24, 2004
Messages
510
junehhan said:
Out of curiosity, can you tell me where you read that at? I have this game prepurchased and am very concerned about the frame rate issues. Any information on this would put my mind at ease as this game has way too much potential.

From saintsrow.com forums. It was a quote from a developer. I can't get there from work, if i could, I would link it.
 

FluxCap

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 24, 2004
Messages
510
Thanks for linking it. I will be waiting to hear more about the final review and will hopefully pick this up if it sounds like everything is smooth.
 

Blauman

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jul 27, 2004
Messages
1,550
played it for about an hour and I didnt see any frame rate issues with the demo off of Live.
 
Top