Sager is trying to rip me off!

BinaryCleric

Limp Gawd
At the start of June 2005 I bought a Sager 3880 laptop from PCTorque.com (see sig), it worked great for about a month until one day the hard drive dies. No biggie (I thought), this happens sometimes. So I called PCTorque to ask about a replacement, and I was informed that the new drive would be shipped that day. Wonderful! Four days later I had not received any information for PCTorque, so I give them a call. They tell me that since the laptop is less than a year old that it was Sager’s responsibility to replace the drive. I call Sager and I am greeted by the rudest “customer service” technician that basically treats me like an idiot and tells me it’s PCTorque’s problem, not Sager’s. Crap. I call PCTorque back and am directed back to Sager. This goes on for about two weeks until finally Sager agrees to replace the drive.

I get an e-mail saying that they will need a $140 deposit and money for shipping charges!?!?!? Wait a minute, why should I have to pay for a faulty product when I bought a full coverage warranty? Finally things are worked out and I am informed it’s just for security reasons, so I figure “what the hell”. I pay for overnight delivery and figure that this will all be sorted out soon enough. I don’t get a tracking number for 4 days, and when I do I discover that Sager sent it UPS GROUND!!!!! (AT MY EXPENSE). I paid for overnight and not they are wasting my money! I finally get the drive and I get my laptop running again, assuming that this was just a sting of mishaps and the worst is over.

The next day I get a call from “Sager”, saying that they are calling to work out the details of the return of the hard drive. They inform me to ship it to ATS Warranty in Memphis, TN, and the Warranty company will work out the details with Sager from there on. I send it back with no mishaps (apart from forgetting the address in my car when I go to drop off the package).

Yesterday I get an e-mail from Sager saying they never received the drive and they have billed my credit card. I immediately call them and tell them this was in error. I have the DHL tracking number and I have conformation that the package was delivered. Sager refuses to hear THIS SOLID PROOF and says I need to get the drive back to them as soon a possible. I inform the customer service representative that I have done my part, and I have provided adequate proof that the package was shipped. Basically as far as I was concerned the matter was closed on my end and they refuse to listen to me. Just yesterday I get a notice from their RMA department (*edit, sorry about that) saying they will be attempting to bill my credit card for the hard drive.

I sent the drive back and have provided proof that the drive was received, they will not listen! What do I do? I am considering taking them to small claims court over this, because of all the violations of warranty and all the valuable time of mine they have wasted.

Is this kind of service normal of Sager? I was considering buying a laptop of theirs from PCTorque.

For you, BBB as well?

Wait why did the give it to a collection agency if they already billed your credit card? Did you already do a stop payment? Pretty much I would try to go through the cust service before small claims court. My question to you is if someone signed for the package. If this is the case get a copy of the sig from DHL. This can help you down the road.

I will be contacting my credit card company and the BBB soon. From what I have heard this kind of "service" is normal for Sager.

BinaryCleric said:
I will be contacting my credit card company and the BBB soon. From what I have heard this kind of "service" is normal for Sager.

wow, back 2 years ago all i heard were good things about this company, now all i hear is bad things...wtf

damn dude... sounds like sager is sucking big balls.

i'd ask to speak to some manager.

BinaryCleric said:
I get an e-mail saying that they will need a $140 deposit and money for shipping charges!?!?!?
BinaryCleric said:
I paid for overnight and now they are wasting my money!

BinaryCleric said:
Yesterday I get an e-mail from Sager saying they never received the drive and they have billed my credit card.
BinaryCleric said:
Just yesterday I get a notice from their collection agency saying they will be attempting to collect for the hard drive.
Something is fishy here, why is there a collection agency involved, if they billed your card .....???

We need kyle to flex his forum finess and muscle them into submission. He is usually good for that. :)

I'm sorry, I didn't recieve the e-mail directly. My brother did (we share the account cause we only use it for business stuff), I took a look at it and it wasn't a collection agency it was just their RMA department saying the RMA will be expired in 5 day (he's an idiot) sorry about that guys.

Ok that makes more sence. Get a copy of a sig from DHL and contact your credit card company and do a backcharge saying they refuse to help you and did not ship it like they said they would. This way the credit card company gets a copy of where someone signed for that drive.

wow that sucks dude...

i would take it to small claims court...

and me personally, not expecting to buy from sager for my college lappy..

Why are they threatening you by saying they're going to bill your CC since they didn't recieve the faulty drive if you've already given them a security deposit? Makes no sense.

It wasn't a security deposit, I had to sign a form saying 1. The can bill me $140 if I do not return the drive and 2. I had to pay them for shipping.

I already paid for shipping, I returned the drive and they are saying I did not.

I'm sorry, I'm not too great at explaining things, but here is the run down.

1. Sager has conformation they have my drive.
2. Sager is saying they don't so they will charge me.
3. I showed Sager the proof that they recieved the drive, they don't care.

Just file a compliant with your CC company and have it charged back. I've done it a couple of times with crappy companies like this. Never had one problem getting my money back. That's why I always charge everything in case someone tries to rip me off.

Your not taking anyone to court over $140, not worth the effort or expense, not even close.

That sucks man. Get in touch with PCTorque and let them know what is going on, either directly or on their boards (Try adam or luke). They're usually really good with giving Sager a kick in the ass if something doesn't go right. Keep us updated.

I bought a Sager laptop last year around October or so, and they had awesome customer service. Sucks what they are doing now! Best thing to do is call your CC company and get that taken care of. I dont know about small claims court, im going to assume you are in a different state than Sagers home office.

One thing about your credit report, if you have documented proof of the claimaints stupidity, you can often get things cleaned up. Be sure to go resellerratings.com and post up too.

You need to go read the "Magnusson - Moss Warranty Act" that is regulated by the FTC, as well as contact the FTC to put you in contact with a local agency that will help you in this matter. Since this is clearly a manufacturers warranty that is in question. Everyone needs to read and understand the warranty act. You would be suprised at the information within it that you weren't aware of.

go forth and crush some nizzuts.

Lastly, contact your credit card company and inform them of the situation. They will work on your side if you can prove that you did your part and the company is not following through with theirs. My banks visa card works that way. I got jerked around by an online hardware store shipping me the wrong stuff just before they went belly up. Visa made me mail the stuff back so that I had a tracking number, no one was there to recieve it so it came back to me. They credited me the money back and litigated on my behalf for their money.

Just because that company is treating you like crap, you have tons of options for getting this resolved. Also, thanks for posting this. It is important for us to know about companies customer service, because long after the sticker price is forgotten - the quality is remembered. That includes the companies policies too!

Hopefully you can get your credit card company involved in the dispute too. Whenever I've had items lost/stolen which I had purchased on my AmEx, a quick call to their Claims department and, after giving them a police report number, the full amount was promptly credited to my account.

As for companies trying to take my money, I usually don't notice until the statement comes, but I've placed several stop payments on companies who tried to bill me for services which were either unrequested or not rendered. In either case, after about 6-8 weeks, AmEx backed out the charge my account and I received letters of apology from the companies in question.

Bottom Line: The CC Company is your friend as long as you keep your payments on time.

I'd just dispute the charge with your credit card company, and when you do file the dispute Give them the tracking info from DHL (Don't forget to print out a copy, DHL only archives that stuff for so long) The Credit Card company would then tell Sager to take up their missing RMA with DHL.

It's also bullshit that Sager made you pay to ship you a replacement part. Even on Dell's standard mail-in warranty they'll overnight the damn Hard Drive to you with a DHL return label in the box.

Back